• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a question

rioja routard

Hola

I try not to ask questions that have not already being asked. I normally do a search and hey presto there are all the subjects answered.

My sister in law wants to do a mini camino this summer for around 4 or 5 days with her mother and her children aged 7 and 10. Can anyone recommend a child friendly stretch of the camino which will offer them pleasant walking and a good example of what being a pilgrim is all about. I am giving it thought myself but wonder if anyone has an idea.

thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A child friendly stretch would:
have interesting towns,
interesting scenery (not meseta),
distances which are not too long,
regular sweet-shops (or bars for Fanta or Coke).

That would be at either end possibly from Pamplona onwards or from Sarria. I think the towns in Navarre / Rioja are more interesting than those between Sarria and Santiago.

How about starting in Astorga?

They'd see the crosses in the fence before Rabanal (and could add their own), stop in Rabanal, you could tell them stories about wild dogs in Foncebadon, they could leave a stone at the Cruz de Ferro, visit the knights of the Camino at Manjarin. All that could be done in a couple of days.

Just after that there's the castle at Ponferrada, swim in the river at Cacabelos and finish their pilgrimage through the Puerto del Perdon in the church at Villafranca del Bierzo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks

That sounds great, though I remember being a good stretch of it has soem quite hard climbing up to Foncebadon and the descent down to El Acebo but should be manageable.

I remember seeing a little peregrina girl walking with her mum so it is feasible. Of course Astorga and Ponferrada are both accessible by train so it seems like a good idea.

I will send this to my sister in law

Many thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.