• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A quick question about the last 100k

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Podiensis, Olvidado, Invierno
Is there any requirement that the first stamp of the day in the last 100k is from the same place as the last stamp of the previous day to confirm I picked up where I left off? Hello, everybody, from Villaviciosa. Starting the Primitivo tomorrow, Sunday, 22 May.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there any requirement that the first stamp of the day in the last 100k is from the same place as the last stamp of the previous day to confirm I picked up where I left off? Hello, everybody, from Villaviciosa. Starting the Primitivo tomorrow, Sunday, 22 May.
Grab one at any given opportunity and then you won't get caught out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have my own stamp. It's not good form to just walk into somewhere, get a stamp, walk out and not buy anything. Part of the point is to contribute to the local economy, even if it's 30c for a Penguin biscuit.

I have my own stamp. It's not good form to just walk into somewhere, get a stamp, walk out and not buy anything. Part of the point is to contribute to the local economy, even if it's 30c for a Penguin biscuit.
Totally agree. I’m thinking about the albergue the night before and morning of next day, for example. Or somewhere close by in the same community.

I was looking forward to scone, I hope that’s still on the table! Scone and stamp please 🙏🏻 😅

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nope. Get one at your albergue when you check in, and get a mid-day one wherever you are mid-day (or anytime of the day lol - I pick lunch time myself). As long as you have 2 stamps a day you are fine.

Don't sweat it, it's really not a big deal. In addition to the one you get from your albergue or pension, just get one from whatever bar you stop at for breakfast/lunch/beer or from a church or whatever.

Totally agree. I’m thinking about the albergue the night before and morning of next day, for example. Or somewhere close by in the same community.
You'll easily get 3 stamps a day, you don't need to worry whether the albergue is stamping for that evening or the following day (I think that's the question you were asking, and I have been asked each time on the inglés). The office in Santiago knows the stamps and won't question you if it looks OK.

I was questioned. I did the Portuguese a couple of weeks ago, but I only started in Pontevedra, at 70km, to do the last 3 days with some friends who'd come up from Porto. I hadn't filled in my name and details at the beginning even though all I wanted was a stamp, not a compostela. They were quite insistent on the form filling and I didn't have my reading glasses, though how I could have passed this onto someone else I'm not sure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hadn't filled in my name and details at the beginning even though all I wanted was a stamp, not a compostela. They were quite insistent on the form filling and I didn't have my reading glasses, though how I could have passed this onto someone else I'm not sure.
That seems very peculiar. When I finished my Via de la Plata walk in February I decided just to ask for a sello rather than a Compostela. The security man at the door took my credencial and returned with it stamped a few moments later. No form filling at all.

That's only a requirement if you have left and return later to recommence your walk/ride, not if you are walking the next day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That seems very peculiar. When I finished my Via de la Plata walk in February I decided just to ask for a sello rather than a Compostela. The security man at the door took my credencial and returned with it stamped a few moments later. No form filling at all.
I'm expecting it tomorrow to be the same as 2 weeks ago when I finished the portugues. Officious man in mask says no mask no entry, fill in website from QR code, work out that United Kingdom begins with an R, get in, get deli counter ticket and wait to be served.

It's not good form to just walk into somewhere, get a stamp, walk out and not buy anything.
I take this comment refers specifically to cafes and the like. There are plenty of other places where I have gotten stamps like churches, museums etc where it is a perfectly acceptable. I also think that if a cafe or restaurant includes on its advertising hoardings that it has a pilgrim stamp, it is offering that as a service, and I don't feel any obligation to make a purchase.

I take this comment refers specifically to cafes and the like. There are plenty of other places where I have gotten stamps like churches, museums etc where it is a perfectly acceptable. I also think that if a cafe or restaurant includes on its advertising hoardings that it has a pilgrim stamp, it is offering that as a service, and I don't feel any obligation to make a purchase.
You make a good point. A lot of the cafés on the Inglés have the parochial stamp as well as their own stamp.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Right, I saw two pilgrims come into the oficina de tourismo today in Villaviciosa, get stamped, and leave.

I worried about this before my Camino. I’ve just returned from CP from Valenca. I was with 2 friends one of whom asked for a stamp everywhere we went. It’s was great fun and as a result I have a beautiful collection in my pilgrim passport. No need to worry. Just collect! Wish I’d realised before I went.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
You have your own stamp? A bit confusing...
I too am confused by this. Would you clarify what you mean by your own stamp? Do you use it in your credential in lieu of a getting a stamp from more conventional outlets like cafes and churches? If you do how can a personal sello be proof of the Compostela requirements? Just wondering. Maybe I have completely misunderstood what you have written.

I run a donativo tea shop at Vilachá, 94km. I've run out of Tunnocks Tea Cakes, but there are plenty of Wagon Wheels, Penguins, etc.
I too am confused by this. Would you clarify what you mean by your own stamp? Do you use it in your credential in lieu of a getting a stamp from more conventional outlets like cafes and churches? If you do how can a personal sello be proof of the Compostela requirements? Just wondering. Maybe I have completely misunderstood what you have written.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I run a donativo tea shop at Vilachá, 94km. I've run out of Tunnocks Tea Cakes, but there are plenty of Wagon Wheels, Penguins, etc.
Ahhhh with a little explanation the world just unfolds in front of one's eyes!! :)
Where is Vilacha? Is it on or near the Sanabria? I should PM you haha

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you get to the Francis go back to Oviedo and retrace your steps.
You will know what i mean in 2 weeks time.
Keep well

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are there tales of people getting 5 or 10 or 20 stamps a day and filling out many credentials?
Yes. When i walked the first time a few years back i met a guy who had walked from Sarria and had almost filled out his entire credential. like every place that he could get a stamp, he got a stamp. Fair play to him, I guess he was making memories and maybe maximising contact with people in the short time he was walking.

At the time I wasn't aware of the two stamps a day and had not got two stamps a day. But i did have stamps that were probably rarely seen. The stamp from Villada (on the end of the Madrid route), the museum in Sahagun (that also gave me a nice certificate), Iglesia de San Salvador de Vilar de Donas, (Palas de Rei). All in all the person issuing my compostella smiled and said to me I had been to some places not visited by most pilgrims and that she hadn't seen the San Salvador Church stamp for quite a while. Nothing was mentioned about me not getting two stamps per day from Sarria, although I suspect if you only walked the last 100km and got say 5 stamps things might be completely different.

If you have walked a long way and got lots of stamps, its probably obvious you aren't talking the P. Also if you rock up looking fresh as a daisy, and have 5 stamps, yeah well you probably won't be getting a compostela. I did see the bus pilgrims as well, that grab a stamp and hop on a tour bus, probably to the next cafe and get another stamp. Saw some of them at the office getting compostela's a couple of days later. I did wonder how much they paid to get those compostelas, I mean the price of the holiday including bus travel between stamp sites. Obviously their is a market for paying a tour company to get you a compostela. I don't see the point in it personally.

Not if it is the previous day. However, if there is a break in your Camino anywhere in the last 100 km (e.g. you stop at Arzua and return there to complete your Camino the next year), then you would want to get the first stamp of the resumed Camino in the same place you left off.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You have your own stamp? A bit confusing...
I have my own stamp, too. Not all stamps are from churches and albergues, and places of business. On my last walk of the Camino Frances I saw plenty of individuals set up by the side of the path offering stamps (sometimes with little tables, once out of a van). One of my regrets from that Camino was the number of people I hadn't exchanged contact info with. So I had a stamp made up with a drawing of me (the same I use for my avatar), my email address, and the word Ultreia! to make it easier for me to exchange contact info on future Caminos. It is light, and was a fun addition to my next Camino Portugues.

I have my own stamp, too. Not all stamps are from churches and albergues, and places of business. On my last walk of the Camino Frances I saw plenty of individuals set up by the side of the path offering stamps (sometimes with little tables, once out of a van). One of my regrets from that Camino was the number of people I hadn't exchanged contact info with. So I had a stamp made up with a drawing of me (the same I use for my avatar), my email address, and the word Ultreia! to make it easier for me to exchange contact info on future Caminos. It is light, and was a fun addition to my next Camino Portugues.
That's a brilliant idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No ..

2 pilgrims arrive Santiago just before midnight Sunday 12th.. looking to share taxi with two others going twds sarria/ ocebreiro ..last 100 to 130k... 4 people sharing about 30 per head...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.