• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Quote

A

AJ

I came across this yesterday and thought it a refreshing change from definitions which focus on distance walked, pack carried, type of accommodation, hair shirts etc.

"The difference between pilgrim and tourist is the intention of attention, the quality of the curiosity"

Phil Cousineau The Art of Pilgrimage

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And where does a "walker" fit in? Would I be a tourist if I walk a camino and am not spiritualy or religiously motivated?

Does it matter a jot if you are a tourist or a pilgrim when walking the Camino? Surely we all walk for reasons of our own, reasons that are valid to us and therefore the label used to describe us (tourist or pilgrim) is irrelevant. Our spiritual, religious or secular journey is our own business and not that of anyone else. IMO labels are not helpful. Just do your own thing, apply your own label to yourself and allow others to do the same.
Aidan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And where does a "walker" fit in? Would I be a tourist if I walk a camino and am not spiritualy or religiously motivated?
This is always an interesting question. If you take the UNWTO definitions (here) almost every pilgrim would qualify to be counted as a tourist, whether on foot, bicycle or on horseback. Unfortunately, many people here seem to use the word tourist in some pejorative sense, as if tourism and being a tourist is a somewhat less dignified or less worthy pursuit than undertaking a pilgrimage. This is just nonsense, but nonetheless there is not a lot that can be done to overcome this prejudice when it appears to have become deeply ingrained in some people feeling good about being pilgrims, and needing to distinguish themselves from other classes of travellers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh please, not another thread on the class thing.

The class thing has been raging since the dawn of mankind, I suspect. Even Quintus Horatius Flaccus, the Roman poet, had something to say about the Tourist or Traveller question. He wrote: 'Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt.'

This translates as 'Those who hurry across the sea change the sky [upon them], not their souls or state of mind.' This is from over 2000 years ago, and we seem to be still at it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Happy New Year everyone. It's only the fifth day of 2017 and we already have a new thread on a subject always fated to be locked by moderators. For you long-term members of the forum who have read more of these discussions than they care to recall, is this early posting the equivalent of the first cuckoo of spring?

the first cuckoo of spring?
I think the cuckoo might bring a little spark of joy to my (cold, hard moderator's) heart whereas all contenders for the first locked thread of 2017 bring me as much happiness as a tax inspection.

Thanks @dougfitz for some enlightening definitions. I spent my career in Audit and still never learnt to speak Lingua Economista.

Those of us who walk the Ways are all things to ourselves and to all others too. Members are, unnecessarily, reminded to play nicely and be respectful of others delusions.

I wish a happy, peaceful, prosperous and meaningful New Year to you all - whatever label you wear or get stuck with ;)

is this early posting the equivalent of the first cuckoo of spring?

Well now SEB, because we as Camino lovers on this here forum (birds of a feather flock together) always react to the age-old Tourist vs Traveller debate like a cat set among the pigeons doesn't mean we live in cloud cuckoo land.
It just means that we're eagle-eyed when it comes to "things Camino", only to find that it is usually a wild goose chase. But no harm done, like water off a duck’s back. It's not like we're giving someone the bird.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wild goose, cuckoos, duck's backs , pidgeons ,eagle eyes, wow Purky where did all those birds come from so suddenly! I was just trying to figure out Tincatinker's cold hard heart ? Has he got one ?

Last edited:
Purky, where did all those birds come from so suddenly!

I was hoping to give a bird's eye view of the matter at hand and, at the same time, provide a little airy humor. Kill two birds with one stone, if you will :D

I was hoping to give a bird's eye view of the matter at hand and, at the same time, provide a little airy humor. Kill two birds with one stone, if you will

I'm still figuring out if Tincatinker, "has a heart" ?:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could be a traveller.

Tourists Vs Travellers: 12 Differences Revealed In Minimalistic Illustrations
http://www.demilked.com/illustration-differences-traveler-tourist-holidify/

Ah ha ha,

I think that link was kind of funny. I scored 50-50% in the "Tourist or Traveller" department, so I'm not sure what I am! :O) Gosh, do I really need to go skydiving (or whatever that picture was) to be a traveller???? I'll never be a good pilgrim...! :OD

/Bad Pilgrim

I'm still figuring out if Tincatinker, "has a heart" ?:D

If you are referring to Songs to Scream at the Sun, I had to google that one. Talk about not as delicate as a bird song, holy moly...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks @dougfitz for some enlightening definitions. I spent my career in Audit and still never learnt to speak Lingua Economista.
Unfortunately, for those in the bureaucratic counting game, the largest group of travellers in the world today would appear to be the 100s of thousands of refugees fleeing conflict and oppression.

You could be a traveller.

Tourists Vs Travellers: 12 Differences Revealed In Minimalistic Illustrations
http://www.demilked.com/illustration-differences-traveler-tourist-holidify/
So now we have pilgrims, tourigrinos, bicigrinos and travelgrinos. :)

I wonder what the column for "pilgrim" would look like....

Camera: none
Taxi vs climbing up a mountain with back pack: add walking poles and instead of mountain show a loooooong road ahead.
Packing: remove camera and lenses and add first aid kits for feet and safety pins for hanging laundry.
Arrows: a spray painted yellow arrow.
Sleeping arrangements: bunk beds in a dorm
People: a few people, all in a row, but one in front of the other, with some distance in between.
Bed again: bunks again
Waht we think of: cafe con leche, or perhaps St-James. At least the cathedral if not the Saint.
Transport: feet
Tshirt or bouddihist pryer flags as souvenirs: a Camino patch with an arrow, or a pin.
Highway or dots on the ground: the topography of the hill after the Alto del Perdon.

o_O

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I came across this yesterday and thought it a refreshing change from definitions which focus on distance walked, pack carried, type of accommodation, hair shirts etc.

"The difference between pilgrim and tourist is the intention of attention, the quality of the curiosity"

Phil Cousineau The Art of Pilgrimage

Just walk or trek or crawl on your knees.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Peregrinate would be the verb. Pilgrim is the noun.

In a grammatical sense, yes. I just tried to be a bit (too?) clever to convey my view that 'pilgrim' is not so much what you are, it is what you do.

In a grammatical sense, yes. I just tried to be a bit (too?) clever to convey my view that 'pilgrim' is not so much what you are, it is what you do.

Too clever would be in keeping with the primary message in this thread:

"The difference between pilgrim and tourist is the intention of attention, the quality of the curiosity" :rolleyes:

which is, to a native speaker, pretentious claptrap, however well intentioned.

I took your point, nonetheless. ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sunday morning in Oporto. I lost my helping arrows and asked two women, waiting in front of a still locked church, which would be the right way to go. They looked at me and asked: tourist? Me: no, peregrino. Then one of the two gave herself a helping attitude and pointed in the right direction. Her body language showed me she would not have helped me in case there was a tourist in my body.

“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
;)

Sorry. Not real. :( See http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/16/do-be-do/
Reality can be good enough. There are lots of those, all fascinating, some dangerous. Actuality can get pretty tedious. Trouble is it always gets filtered through one of billions of realities.

That's my reality and I'm sticking to it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recently searched for a quotation for someone who had only a few pieces of it. What I found seems appropriate to post here.

Marcel Proust: "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

The Proust quote rang a bell, but faintly and it took me a while to place it. I finally found it. Also a quote, from G.K. Chesterton, with the same sort of outlook on the matter: “The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.”

They've all been at it. 19C-20C Philosopherits & Poesists _

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." From the writings of that well known anagram: T S Eliot

If I got back home and felt surprised I would either be worried about my alcohol intake or my wife's sense of humour ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.