• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Real Spanish Omelette

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I love a freshly made Spanish Omelette. Not so much the ones we usually receive far too often prepared hours before and then Chef Mike, the microwave, finishes it off. Here is an especially good one, we eat it often, the incredible amount of olive oil required may be saved for next time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love a freshly made Spanish Omelette. Not so much the ones we usually receive far too often prepared hours before and then Chef Mike, the microwave, finishes it off. Here is an especially good one, we eat it often, the incredible amount of olive oil required may be saved for next time.
yes, they are very popular but haven't been able to eat eggs in four years..last time I had an omelet was in Spain on Camino del Norte.

Yes, I agree. The taste of a freshly made Spanish omelette is completely different and absolutely delicious.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That man Omar is a hoot..... he may cook a nice tortilla, but his knowledge of cooking science is severely lacking. Extra Virgin Olive oil used six times over! Extra Virgin Olive oil is best used for salads, not for frying. Never fry a Virgin. What will remain of the Extra Virgin taste? And of the quality? Nothing and worse. The amount - vast seas of oil were used at the time because there were no non-sticking pans, fortunately that problem no longer exists today.
Sliced potatoes straight from the frying pan do not soak up eggs. They do not soak up eggs because they are already soaked with all that oil. The mixture becomes creamy because the eggs begin to coagulate due to the temperature.

:cool::cool:

Two non-stick frying pans, one for the onions, one for the potaoes and a little oil for each will do the trick. Mix them with the eggs when they are ready, and cook a tortilla in each frying pan.

Oh dear, have to confess I love the ones that taste of olive oil and are nice and runny. No wonder my dr is on my back about my cholesterol levels! :p:p:p

A few years ago I took a Spanish course in Barcelona and did a homestay. I absolutely love Spanish tortilla, and was looking forward to observing it being made. So one night, my hostess (I can never think of the right name for her:)) told me that she was making tortilla for dinner. I was so excited! Imagine my disappointment when she served me a mushroom omelet. That's when I learned that in Spain tortilla means omelet. Fortunately, a few days later she did make tortilla de patata. :p
At home, I've found that Yukon Gold potatoes make a really good tortilla.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That man Omar is a hoot..... he may cook a nice tortilla, but his knowledge of cooking science is severely lacking. Extra Virgin Olive oil used six times over! Extra Virgin Olive oil is best used for salads, not for frying. Never fry a Virgin. What will remain of the Extra Virgin taste? And of the quality? Nothing and worse. The amount - vast seas of oil were used at the time because there were no non-sticking pans, fortunately that problem no longer exists today.
Sliced potatoes straight from the frying pan do not soak up eggs. They do not soak up eggs because they are already soaked with all that oil. The mixture becomes creamy because the eggs begin to coagulate due to the temperature.

:cool::cool:

Two non-stick frying pans, one for the onions, one for the potaoes and a little oil for each will do the trick. Mix them with the eggs when they are ready, and cook a tortilla in each frying pan.
Not trying to argue, my olive oil comes from a dear friend who lives in a nearby Arab village. Extra virgin oil is all I have. Canola oil is soul-less, corn oil too sweet, grape seed oil I don't like, soya based oils leave a cloying taste so I use a mixture of my olive oil and butter - comes out perfectr everytime and yes I strain and save the oil, good for another two times at best.

Not trying to argue, my olive oil comes from a dear friend who lives in a nearby Arab village. Extra virgin oil is all I have. Canola oil is soul-less, corn oil too sweet, grape seed oil I don't like, soya based oils leave a cloying taste so I use a mixture of my olive oil and butter - comes out perfectr everytime and yes I strain and save the oil, good for another two times at best.

In that case, you'll have to make do with what you have, like in any other emergency! :p

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.