• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A really big group - possible?

ula86

Time of past OR future Camino
part del Norte (Santander - SdC) Sept 2010, Frances & Primitivo (SJPP - Leon & Oviedo - SdC) Sept - Oct 2011; Primitivo Sept 2012
Hi all,

a friend of mine is thinking about organising a Camino (~100 km) for about... 200 people (Scouts d′Europe, to be precise) next summer. It sounds crazy, I know. But maybe they could pull it off if they divided into smaller groups, or went different routes, or slept in tents...? I only did Camino del Norte and I know that it was hard to find a place to sleep for much smaller groups, but there are more albergues on the Camino Frances. What about camping sites?

ANY ideas/advice would be much appreciated :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
the big groups I have seen always carry tents, and almost always have some sort of backup vehicle to carry the needed equipment. They put a huge strain on infrastructure wherever they come to rest.

You could contact the pilgrims' office to ask if any of the infrastructure set up for the Holy Year - tent towns, gymnasiums, school halls - will be able to accommodate you.

peregrinos@archicompostela.org

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has your friend ever done the Camino - especially the last 100 kms - and especially during the peak months? It's bad enough finding a bed for 1 or 2 people after Sarria, let alone for a group of 100! The only way, in my opinion, would be in tents and be totally self-sufficient (by that I mean, don't pitch your tents and then go to the nearest albergue to use their facilities) Anne
PS I just walked the Sanabrés from Ourense (last ca 100 kms) in October. There was only one albergue that could take a large number of Pilgrims - and the albergues were few and far between and not much in the way of other facilities either (bars, shops, etc)..

A really big group???
...... would be very unpopular with all the other pilgrims!! (Just my opinion)

Yes, I know. That's why they want to split up into several groups, sleep in tents and carry gas bottles for cooking food. I know they have experience in this kind of trips, so that shouldn't be a big problem. I was just wondering if there are enough camping sites.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back