• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Reservation system for the Camino de Santiago (Galicia only)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A Reservation système will take care of all the beds available on the Camino.
Only applies in Galicia. Reserving beds in the public Albergues. Stated intent is to be able to keep track of Pilgrims "in case something happens". I for one have no intention of availing myself of the obvious benefits.

Only applies in Galicia. Reserving beds in the public Albergues. Stated intent is to be able to keep track of Pilgrims "in case something happens". I for one have no intention of availing myself of the obvious benefits.
Your Spanish is obviously better then mind...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For the current times, having a digitalized list of pilgrims might be useful for potential tracking of pilgrims that might have been close to an outbreak area. I just don't understand why to invest a bunch of money (I work as a programmer, so I am a bit familiar with the huge costs of these systems) and develop something while you can use solutions that are safe and way cheaper and could be used across all the routes and autonomous communities of Spain.

the literal translation says that the application they are discussing will be developed by the Galician administration but will concern all public albergues along the way (only French?). Of course it will be ready in a few months. If it is done well and finds the appreciation of the owners of the albergues, it could be an added value 🤷‍♂️

Here is a Google translation of the relevant paragraph:

"A RESERVATION MANAGEMENT APP IN THE CAMINO HOSTELS

The Galician administration also announces that they are working on an application to manage reservations in public accommodation. In two months they expect that app to be ready. Pereira assures that for this summer it will be ready: " We are hiring it, we hope that it will be operational within a maximum period of two months. We are developing an application for both Camino public hostels and for private hostel reservations that do not have it There are many hostels that are on the most popular platforms, type Booking, but what we want is to have a certain knowledge of where people are moving, where they are sleeping in case there is a problem and to be able to act . ""

I really don't think there is any intention to extend this outside of Galicia. The https://consejojacobeox21.es/en/ is silent on the matter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
allow me to post a link of today: https://www.elespanol.com/quincemil...ino-de-santiago-seguros-frente-al-coronavirus

in particular I bring in translation:
"The free app CaminoTool has created a registry of open establishments that have adopted hygienic-sanitary measures against COVID-19, and that through a button 'COVID-19 Adapted' can be geolocated on the map and on the different routes.

With this initiative, the app of Galician origin, aims to support the tourist and economic reactivation of the Xacobea Route, already allowing national mobility and open borders and airspace for the arrival of international tourists.

The CaminoTool registry has been prepared based on direct surveys of the owners or managers of establishments that have made it possible to know in detail their reopening dates and the aspects taken into account to guarantee, as far as possible, a safe stay for their clients. customers.

The six main routes of the Camino de Santiago (the Northern, French, English, Portuguese, Primitive and Finisterre routes) currently have open establishments that have taken protective measures against the coronavirus and are prepared to cover pilgrims on their journey. Now all that's left to do is walk."

This, just for information.
The feeling is that it is worked out for all paths.
Then, at the right time sentence.🙄

For the current times, having a digitalized list of pilgrims might be useful for potential tracking of pilgrims that might have been close to an outbreak area. I just don't understand why to invest a bunch of money (I work as a programmer, so I am a bit familiar with the huge costs of these systems) and develop something while you can use solutions that are safe and way cheaper and could be used across all the routes and autonomous communities of Spain.
They could digitalize the existing list of id's that the albergues are turning in to their local policia already. By putting scanners into the policia offices. Gotta be less expensive than a new "comprehensive" information collecting system. Just my $0.02! [Edited to add] If they're really about finding people, that is, instead of controlling reservations. Some of us don't make reservations.

I'm not sure I understand, does this system pertain to all sectors of all caminos in Galicia?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don' t see easy to inplement a similar process outside Galicia because the public albergues are municipal. Maybe the Diputacion Provincial of each province (Burgos, Leon, etc) could be the interface with the autonomous community.

I am under the impression that Galicia software implementation could be just a pilot. When tested and implemented it could become for all the provinces in Spain.

To me it does not make any economical sence to create this application for just Galicia.

Time will tell.

I am under the impression that Galicia software implementation could be just a pilot. When tested and implemented it could become for all the provinces in Spain.

To me it does not make any economical sence to create this application for just Galicia.

Time will tell.
The problem is that there isn't any "central management" of the central government for the different Caminos and the Xunta can't do anything outside Galicia so far.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As an April Fools Day contribution I had penned and posted the following on the Humour thread. Never thought I would see any of it for real.

“New booking system proposal for albergues in Galicia.

There’s an interesting article in today’s Voz de Galicia about a proposed new booking system for the hostels run by the Galician government.

I have used Google translate so there may be some inaccuracies. My comments are in italics.

“A spokesperson said that they were already expecting a large increase in numbers for 2021 due to the Holy Year. However, based on input from interested parties, a massive surge is now forecast as pent up demand carries forward to next year.

To manage this demand and allow pilgrims to plan better, pilgrims will be required to book online the day prior to arrival at each hostel. Each hostel webpage will have a floor plan showing bunks and pilgrims will select from available bunks. There will be dynamic pricing depending on demand (I think this refers to the system that airlines use) so that prices will vary day to day and even hour to hour. Lower bunks will be considered a premium product and will have a higher minimum start price than upper bunks.

To reflect the true cost of providing services to pilgrims, and to allow a fund to be built up for expansion of the hostel network, charges will be introduced in other areas. These will include taking a backpack into the room, for hiking pole and boot storage, pre-booked shower time slots and (my favourite) a charge for priority early departure. Usage of the hostel kitchens will be bookable in 30 minute slots, also with variable pricing.

Pilgrims should select their preferences at time of booking as these will be more costly if purchased later or in the hostel.

The spokesperson added that the Junta was pleased to announce that Senor Primo Aprillius, the former General Manager of Ryanair Espana, has been appointed to oversee these exciting new developments for the pilgrim community.

In a separate statement, Sr Aprillius, who has actually been in office since December 28th 2019, also expressed his concerns for 2021 about potential overcrowding from Sarria onwards and how this could affect negatively the Camino experience for everyone as well as being a potential health and safety issue. One possible solution was for timed group departure slots which would also be bookable online with prepayment and priced according to demand. He stressed that this was just an idea at this stage and welcomed comments. He further added that the hostel booking system was currently in the design stage by the Government IT experts and would be stress tested to ensure it was fool proof.

Santiago, 1st April 2020”

For the current times, having a digitalized list of pilgrims might be useful for potential tracking of pilgrims that might have been close to an outbreak area
It's a booking app and not a tracking app. When they say "we are developing an application for both the [Galician] Camino's publicly owned hostels [albergues] and for private hostels that do not have a reservation system. There are many hostels that are on popular platforms, like Booking.com for example, but what we want is to have a certain knowledge of where people are moving, where they are sleeping in case there is a problem and to be able to act", I guess that can be interpreted in several ways. I'd think it's about steering the flow of pilgrims and matching demand and supply of beds, in particular in view of the upcoming Holy Year 2021 and subsequent Holy Years. I don't think it's primarily Covid-19 related although the current reduction of available beds may well have given a major impulse.

If you followed the discussion about Covid-19 tracking apps - a number of EU countries are developing one, Germany has already one and millions of users have opted to download it, and similarly in Ireland, I think - you will be aware of the issue of data protection. I think Spain is one of these EU countries where this is taken very seriously; others have a more casual attitude. So that's the reason, again my guess, why they don't just repurpose any already established database like the Guardia Civil database in order to use it for tracking individual persons in connection with Covid-19 - it's not allowed and it's not done. My guess but a strong guess. ☺

Last edited:
In any case, the app in question (the one mentioned in the article with a link in the first post of this thread) is expected to be available in two months. That's September 2020. Lots of time to discuss it. 🤭

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We need to keep the different apps apart that are currently touted or launched or developed ☺. A recent article in English in El Pais, dated 29 June 2020:

Spain launches first phase of coronavirus-tracking app
The new system, [called] Radar Covid, is designed to alert users if they have come into contact with a person with an active infection, and will be trialed in the Canary island of La Gomera.
Click here for the whole article. The first and second phase of the trial run on La Gomera have already started. Spain’s Economy and Digital Transformation Ministry is in charge. The last sentence says that Spain has taken longer than other countries to develop a coronavirus-tracking app. This technology is already available in Italy, France, Switzerland, Denmark, Latvia and Germany, where it was downloaded 12 million times just one week within its launch. Judging by today's news, I think Ireland ought to be added to this list.

Last edited:
There are actually EU issued guidelines for these government sponsored Covid-19 tracking apps and there's the requirement for GDPR compliance of course. This may be a bit of a surprise:
  • Limited use of personal data: An app should adhere to the principle of data minimisation, which requires that only personal data that is relevant and limited to the purpose in question can be processed. The [European] Commission considers location data not necessary for the purpose of contact tracing and advises not to use location data in this context.
So much of the discussion about "how do they know where I am" appears to be redundant to me.

Hi
I don’t understand « the obvious benefits «
I start from SJPP end September after working as hospitalier at the Kazerna SJPP
Cheers brave pillies
Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are actually EU issued guidelines for these government sponsored Covid-19 tracking apps and there's the requirement for GDPR compliance of course. This may be a bit of a surprise:
  • Limited use of personal data: An app should adhere to the principle of data minimisation, which requires that only personal data that is relevant and limited to the purpose in question can be processed. The [European] Commission considers location data not necessary for the purpose of contact tracing and advises not to use location data in this context.
So much of the discussion about "how do they know where I am" appears to be redundant to me.
I guess the difference is between a Covid tracer app, storing 'phone number / email & PID and a booking app which will store some or all of the above plus your previous and projected locations when utilised. However, there seems to be no element of compulsion though the opportunity to guarantee a bed in a public Albergue might have been desirable in the coming Holy Year and may have some value in this.

Anyone seen this? Is this new? Red pública de Albergues del Camino de Santiago en Galicia - Planifica tu peregrinación y reserva tu plaza

Red Galicia.jpg

Last edited:

A Reservation système will take care of all the beds available on the Camino.

I wonder if this is really a good thing? What do you think?
I made my decision back in March and will wait until 2021, to review. I don't want to be a burden on anyone or on the Spanish health service. I also like to have the freedom to stop where I decide on the day, when this is possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too do not want to be stuck to a destination I must get to at all costs. I have been known to stop after about 10 km just because I liked the look of where I was and just stopped. It was in Lorca if any one is interested. The albergue was good, the hosts were great and to just for once and be the guy sitting outside the bar watching the peregrinos go by on a nice hot sunny day was lovely. With a reservation and/or my pack sent ahead, I would not have had the choice. The camino to me is all about choice, not the strict regimen that booking ahead imposes

In any case, the app in question (the one mentioned in the article with a link in the first post of this thread) is expected to be available in two months. That's September 2020. Lots of time to discuss it. 🤭
There will be elections for the Xunta on Sunday. A change in the government is not likely, but who knows.

I think it would also work for those who've been before. They know how far they'll walk, where they'll end up. Whereas I've never done it, when I do I'll be strolling as far as it comfortable each day, or not, I have endless amounts of time, so the idea of organising myself into stopping spots seems overwhelmingly difficult. Even to begin to walk at the moment is merely a vague possibility.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Frankly, I have been walking for years, but a reservation system in Galicia is an idea that will leave many pilgrims outside.

I too do not want to be stuck to a destination I must get to at all costs. I have been known to stop after about 10 km just because I liked the look of where I was and just stopped. It was in Lorca if any one is interested. The albergue was good, the hosts were great and to just for once and be the guy sitting outside the bar watching the peregrinos go by on a nice hot sunny day was lovely. With a reservation and/or my pack sent ahead, I would not have had the choice. The camino to me is all about choice, not the strict regimen that booking ahead imposes

Haha, me too, exactly. I had intended to walk much farther than Lorca, but just loved the feel of the place and after chatting with Jose Ramon, hospitalero at Albergue Lorca, I decided to stop and stay there. Did the same thing the next year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha, me too, exactly. I had intended to walk much farther than Lorca, but just loved the feel of the place and after chatting with Jose Ramon, hospitalero at Albergue Lorca, I decided to stop and stay there. Did the same thing the next year.
There's something about Lorca. I have only made one unplanned stop ever, and that was in Lorca, just because it seemed right at the moment.

On the topic of the reservation system, whatever works for the Galicians will work for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's something about Lorca. I have only made one unplanned stop ever, and that was in Lorca, just because it seemed right at the moment.

Haha, that's fun to hear. Most people have only walked about 6 K from their last stop when they reach Lorca and plan to walk much further. But it's such a pretty little place and, with two albergues right across from each other on a small lane, it is so friendly and comfy. And Jose Ramon (Albergue Lorca) is cute and is a good cook.

Did you meet his wife. A young Korean lady, cant remember her name, who made me feel extremely welcome. It was like other pilgrims were just passing trade while I was a VIP. A very memorable stay indeed

Haha, that's fun to hear. Most people have only walked about 6 K from their last stop when they reach Lorca and plan to walk much further. But it's such a pretty little place and, with two albergues right across from each other on a small lane, it is so friendly and comfy. And Jose Ramon (Albergue Lorca) is cute and is a good cook.
I stayed in Lorca at Jose Romon Albergue too in August 2018, such a pleasant place . He is so nice, warm personality and good cook
One of the best places on the Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back