• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A road paved with scallop shells must surely be a sign?

HighlandHind

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept 2012)
Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia (Sept 2014)
Porto to Santigo (Sept 2015)
The Meseta (hopefully April 2016)
I wonder if anyone else has been debating whether or not to walk the Camino, only to stumble across something that felt like an omen or sign? If so, what was your experience? And did you follow it or decide to dismiss it?

I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 and am longing to repeat the journey so when, on a day of doubts, I chanced upon a scallop shell road, I figured it was a clear message.

There are pictures on my blog. What do you think? Time to lace up those boots again?
http://highlandhind.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/finding-the-scallop-shell-road/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Everytime iv felt doubt, fear, dread at the thought of walking all those miles (because i still dont know my reasons for wanting/needing to do this) iv had a sign. I wont say what type of signs because they wont mean anything to anyone else but to me they were showing me courage and strength that i can and will do this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you find a sign that leads to the camino then follow it.
I'm not really the type of person that belives in "signs" and stuff like that, but on the camino!! odd things happen, above the door of Don Blasses albergue in Fuenteterroble Salvatierra there is a plaque, it says:- I have given orders to guard thee on the way.(ps91-11)
During the rest of my camino when the signs got a little far and few and I was in doubt about routfinding I'd say to myself "well if you are looking out for me I could do with an arrow right about now"and it worked viola yellow arrow. Strange things happen on the camino!

Regards
George

If you find a sign that leads to the camino then follow it.
I'm not really the type of person that belives in "signs" and stuff like that, but on the camino!! odd things happen, above the door of Don Blasses albergue in Fuenteterroble Salvatierra there is a plaque, it says:- I have given orders to guard thee on the way.(ps91-11)
During the rest of my camino when the signs got a little far and few and I was in doubt about routfinding I'd say to myself "well if you are looking out for me I could do with an arrow right about now"and it worked viola yellow arrow. Strange things happen on the camino!

Regards
George
"well if you are looking out for me I could do with an arrow right about now" - That same thing happened to me when I was "out of gas" walking up to Alto de Perdon. A whole line of heavily laden blackberry bushes appeared! Mmmmmm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Before my Fall 2009 Camino Frances I would find coins in odd places when I was walking. I was sure it was a sign.

This winter when I was wondering if I would get to walk from Porto to SdC because of medical issues, I found a dime in a small patch of bare pavement on a snowy walkway. I am taking that as a sign from my sister Kate, who passed away from breast cancer in 2007. I was sure that she was on my shoulder when I walked the Camino Frances.

Go for it Highlandhind - to resist is futile!

I have had two such signs. One on a very remote track in the mountains
image.jpg

And one on my leather chair, never seen before or since. Not sure if it's telling me to sit down and put my feet up - or to get up off my backside and start walking!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no such thing as coincidence!

My sign has been staring at me for years: a mirror given to me by my grandparents when I was 13, with a scallop shell on top. I had decided to walk the Camino this summer, and just like that I noticed the scallop shell. How long had I stared into that mirror, never really seeing the symbol just above me? When I finally saw it I laughed, and knew that choosing to walk the Camino was the right decision.

scallop shell mirror.jpg

When I need a sign, I usually find one...its just a matter of being tuned-in. The shelled road is a sign that you cannot pass up. Pack your bags and go. While there, look for other signs...you may be surprised where they take you.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is no such thing as coincidence!

My sign has been staring at me for years: a mirror given to me by my grandparents when I was 13, with a scallop shell on top. I had decided to walk the Camino this summer, and just like that I noticed the scallop shell. How long had I stared into that mirror, never really seeing the symbol just above me? When I finally saw it I laughed, and knew that choosing to walk the Camino was the right decision.

View attachment 8764
Mine has also been staring at me for a long time..... I have scallop shells stuck to the front wall of my home....I did this many years ago and have added to the collection as time has passed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What an amazing road!!! I say it is absolutely time to lace up those boots. I hope it works out for you :)

I wonder if anyone else has been debating whether or not to walk the Camino, only to stumble across something that felt like an omen or sign? If so, what was your experience? And did you follow it or decide to dismiss it?

I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 and am longing to repeat the journey so when, on a day of doubts, I chanced upon a scallop shell road, I figured it was a clear message.

There are pictures on my blog. What do you think? Time to lace up those boots again?

I was feeling guilty that I was indulging in Camino's each year when I could be doing something useful. I was walking through a cemetery in an outback town in W.A. And saw a broken wooden cross on a grave. It was tongue and groove so I placed it back together and knocked over a very old porcelain statue. A tiny thing fell off it and I had touch it up to know what it was. It was a tiny porcelains scallop she'll. I carry it around in my purse and I'm doing the VDLP in May. Lace up your boots and scoot!

On holiday in Belgium, to see the Grand Prix, I looked down and there was a brass scallop shell set in the pavement. Working in France I found that a Camino came up the road where I was working, by seeing the 'shell' sticker on a post. Taking shelter in an old church in Totnes from the rain - there was a chapel doorway lined in scallop shells... Many times I have gone into a church and St. James is beaming down in the stained glass... It may be signs telling us to follow the path, it may be after becoming pilgrims we are more attuned to 'seeing' what lies around and about us. I take it as signs to go a'pilgrimage, either on a Camino or on a sacred path or route that 'pops' up in my reading or elsewhere. This year I will endeavour to follow the Mary Michael Line Way to Glastonbury and maybe beyond - if the floods have receded! (http://marymichaelpilgrimsway.org/route/)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve always had a hankering to see the Alhambra, so last year I decided to visit Spain for the first time. But just going to Granada for a few days seemed silly, so I made a plan to see some of the cities of Andalusia, to put the Alhambra in context.
With Spain on my mind, and Zumba classes having raised my fitness level to heights I hadn’t even achieved in my teens, I also began thinking about walking the Camino Santiago de Compostella, and decided to do it a couple of years hence, aiming to arrive on my 70th birthday.

In February I booked my flight to Seville and my first hostel, to arrive in April. Suddenly I was filled with excitement – as if something special was about to happen.
At first, it seemed the opposite. ‘Ruinair’ mucked up my flight and had me arriving near midnight the previous day. I was annoyed. But when I boarded the plane I found myself sitting next to a guy who was setting out to walk the Camino – from Seville. He said it was a flatter and quieter route. Co-incidence? Maybe. But that was only the start…

I arrived at my hostel – to find I’d booked into the hostel from which pilgrims began their journey. Ok – so THAT’s why I’d been so excited. Walked the first stage with a woman from my dorm, just to try it out; it was easy walking. And people at the hostel who’d done it before were eager to share their experiences. Decided not to wait two years – I’d do it myself a year later.

Moved on to Cordoba, to the youth hostel. The manager said I’d have the (dorm) room to myself, but when I got back from my walk another woman had arrived. She was walking the Camino - by yet another route – and showed me her scallop shell recording her Caminos every year since 2004. Again! (‘What I tell you three times is true.’)

BUT – Granada came next. When I arrived, I took a bus to the town centre and my next hostel. At the next stop two young American girls got on, talking in English. One said to the other “Is it next week you’re starting your Camino walk?”
At that point I looked heavenwards and said “Ok, ok, you can stop now. I’ve really got the message!”

From then on I didn’t see or hear another word. But next month Jamilla (my hand-made donkey) and I are setting out. Wish us luck!

I’ve always had a hankering to see the Alhambra, so last year I decided to visit Spain for the first time. But just going to Granada for a few days seemed silly, so I made a plan to see some of the cities of Andalusia, to put the Alhambra in context.
With Spain on my mind, and Zumba classes having raised my fitness level to heights I hadn’t even achieved in my teens, I also began thinking about walking the Camino Santiago de Compostella, and decided to do it a couple of years hence, aiming to arrive on my 70th birthday.

In February I booked my flight to Seville and my first hostel, to arrive in April. Suddenly I was filled with excitement – as if something special was about to happen.
At first, it seemed the opposite. ‘Ruinair’ mucked up my flight and had me arriving near midnight the previous day. I was annoyed. But when I boarded the plane I found myself sitting next to a guy who was setting out to walk the Camino – from Seville. He said it was a flatter and quieter route. Co-incidence? Maybe. But that was only the start…

I arrived at my hostel – to find I’d booked into the hostel from which pilgrims began their journey. Ok – so THAT’s why I’d been so excited. Walked the first stage with a woman from my dorm, just to try it out; it was easy walking. And people at the hostel who’d done it before were eager to share their experiences. Decided not to wait two years – I’d do it myself a year later.

Moved on to Cordoba, to the youth hostel. The manager said I’d have the (dorm) room to myself, but when I got back from my walk another woman had arrived. She was walking the Camino - by yet another route – and showed me her scallop shell recording her Caminos every year since 2004. Again! (‘What I tell you three times is true.’)

BUT – Granada came next. When I arrived, I took a bus to the town centre and my next hostel. At the next stop two young American girls got on, talking in English. One said to the other “Is it next week you’re starting your Camino walk?”
At that point I looked heavenwards and said “Ok, ok, you can stop now. I’ve really got the message!”

From then on I didn’t see or hear another word. But next month Jamilla (my hand-made donkey) and I are setting out. Wish us luck!
Buen Camino to you and Jamilla!

Mine has also been staring at me for a long time..... I have scallop shells stuck to the front wall of my home....I did this many years ago and have added to the collection as time has passed.
I love, love this idea.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I hope I get to see you along the way. I'm 64 and going strong. I leave Seville May 8th unless I need a few more days for sight seeing. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Exactly a year ago tonight, I flew into Tokyo where I met a lovely retired Victorian couple who were using the same shuttle I was to get to our hotels.
Anyhow, during the course of our conversation and taking deep breaths each time the driver came to toll gates without slowing and each of us all silently thinking "he's going to hit the gate" ... phew! I live in woop woop what can I say?! :rolleyes: ...
It was that fateful night that I learned about the Camino and said I'd look it up... I made no real effort thereafter to google this Camino they spoke of...

A few nights later when I was in Nagoya, I came upon the movie "The Way"... well that was just a lovely movie which intrigued me a little more about this Camino I heard of only days ago...
A few months later after coming home and going to a book sale at our local library, I found a book about a Pilgrimage in Europe... lo and behold... it spoke of the Camino Frances!
A month later, a friend of mine told me she was going to walk the Camino Frances!!!

Right, so many signs... I best look further into this and chanced upon this wonderful forum! So glad I joined it!
At least I don't feel so weird planning a whole trip months in advance!!! :p and dreaming and talking about the Camino until I see my friends eyes roll and glaze over lol

With only 6 weeks to go before I head off to Europe, I am excited to say the least!

HighlandHind, me thinks you definitely need to be lacing them boots up! :)

Buen Camino!

A few days ago, a rainy blustery day, I was practically running across the parking lot into work and tripped myself up not wanting to step on this. This itty bitty twig of a thing was probably only about 2 inches long and I was amazed at how it jumped out of me! Nothing I would have ever noticed in years past and I can't even explain how my eyes found it. Signs everywhere ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 35
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

But when I boarded the plane I found myself sitting next to a guy who was setting out to walk the Camino – from Seville. He said it was a flatter and quieter route. Co-incidence? Maybe. But that was only the start…

Hola Jamilla - well yes the VDLP can be quieter - but I would not agree its flatter. It will be a long, long way so ensure you have your hat and 2 water bottles. You should plan a couple of rest days - say Merida and Salamanca - but well worth a day or two to explore and recover.

As for the Alhambra - if there was one place I would like to spend 1 day each year for the rest of my life then it would be at the Alhambra.
Buen Camino! :cool:

Ah well, Mike - better than the Pyrenees, for sure :D But I'm planning a rest day at least once a week ('six days shalt thou labour ...') and for sure we'll have our hat on head and water 'on tap'.

While I loved the Alhambra, sometimes the anticipation and build-up makes the place itself less entrancing.
However, the Mesquita in Cordoba blew me away - no photo can ever do it justice - and the Alcazar in Seville was also an unexpected little gem.

Your pictures are truly lovely! A sign for sure. Just go and enjoy it once again, pain and all. I didn't have any signs as such, just an overwhelming desire to do the trip.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to Mexico a couple weeks ago and walked this small section of sidewalk over and over to my hotel each day. Wasn't until the third day that I really noticed.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.1 KB · Views: 30
Just to say .. for the benefit of anyone subscribed to this thread - Jamilla and I didn't make it to the Camino this year. She shed a wheel on our 'training walk' in April and we had to go back to the drawing board.
Now she's equipped with wheelchair wheels and is much better/stronger, but one thing leads to another and after stepping out on the Thames path yesterday I see her steering handle needs some modification.
We're planning a few walks through England in late summer, when hopefully the weather will be drier. And insh'allah we'll meet some of you on the VDLP next year.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.