A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

A Safer route out of Cáceres

2020 Camino Guides

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Note from the mods. I was looking at a general thread on highway safety and noticed that there were some posts about a safer alternative leaving Cáceres. Since this is such a dangerous section, I thought I would highlight it and make it a separate thread, so that other Vdlp pilgrims might take notice.

I think that stretch out of Cáceres is so, so dangerous. Horrible. Let's hope that an alternative path can be found before some poor hapless pilgrim is killed. And some poor driver has to live with the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilosWay

Camino(s) past & future
Many
I think that stretch out of Cáceres is so, so dangerous. Horrible. Let's hope that an alternative path can be found before some poor hapless pilgrim is killed. And some poor driver has to live with the consequences.
There is another way out of Caceres. A really good one actually. It is a bit longer and goes over the hills, but with nice views and it completely avoids the busy road.
I don't have a proper track/map for it, but I just found this one on wikiloc:
The alternative starts at 1,1 km. At the small square with a few trees and benches.
The road might be the original vdlp, but the other path is much nicer and safer and I don't understand why they don't change it to this one.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
How well do I remember that Cáceres to Casar de Cáceres sector back in 2013. Even walking facing the on-coming traffic it was still more than a little un-nerving.
My general advice is that except where there is no alternative stay well away from "N" routes or motorways/autoroutes (these are the roads marked in RED on Brierley and other guide books. If you have to walk on these try to walk so that the safety barrier is between you and the traffic. Fortunately, in most cases if you have to cross these roads there are underpasses, even if they are a little out of your way. Cheers

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just saw these comments in another, general thread on highway walking. I wanted to bring it to the attention of the Vdlp pilgrims more generally. The route out of Cáceres, on a weekday morning, is terribly dangerous. Post #2 in this thread offers a safer alternative. I would encourage you guys to try it, because it is really an awful stretch.

george.g

Camino(s) past & future
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Thanks for the Wikiloc, Cacares to Caesar will be the first day of my family’s annual week on Camino and I wasn’t looking forward to the road section out of Cacares. We will definitely take the safety option, and as we are having a short day a few kms more won’t be a problem.
Regards
George

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks for the Wikiloc, Cacares to Caesar will be the first day of my family’s annual week on Camino and I wasn’t looking forward to the road section out of Cacares. We will definitely take the safety option, and as we are having a short day a few kms more won’t be a problem.
Regards
George
Hi, George, Great timing. Please let us know how it goes, and wishing you a wonderful “family week” on the Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
There is another way out of Caceres. A really good one actually. It is a bit longer and goes over the hills, but with nice views and it completely avoids the busy road.
I don't have a proper track/map for it, but I just found this one on wikiloc:
The alternative starts at 1,1 km. At the small square with a few trees and benches.
The road might be the original vdlp, but the other path is much nicer and safer and I don't understand why they don't change it to this one.
Would the Oficina de Turismo be familiar with it?

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Would the Oficina de Turismo be familiar with it?
You *might* be lucky enough to meet someone at the tourist information office who happens to walk or hunt. But, honestly, your chance of meeting someone who knows local paths is much higher at a random bar where guys with trailers full of dogs hang out.
IME, people who know the area from the front seat of a car are about the worst source of information about how to get around on foot.

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
You *might* be lucky enough to meet someone at the tourist information office who happens to walk or hunt. But, honestly, your chance of meeting someone who knows local paths is much higher at a random bar where guys with trailers full of dogs hang out.
IME, people who know the area from the front seat of a car are about the worst source of information about how to get around on foot.
Good point. I can see it on the map, but don't have the "uh-MAZ-ing skilz" to print out that bit of map, nor copy and paste it to my planning spreadsheet. When I zoom in there doesn't seem to be a street name, but it looks paved. There is, however, an overpass road crossing of the busy highway on this path. The "extra distance" on the Wikiloc track seems to be purely in going through the park before this mystery cut-off. It takes a 45-degree angle at a street corner, follows a sort of access to the highway and crosses with either a bridge or tunnel. The cut-off appears to take the walker to the paved but small looking road into Casar de Caceres a bit sooner than the marked path.

I'm hoping that at least the Turismo will have a reasonably detailed town map.
Thanks to MilosWay for the tip, maybe it will come in handy at the end of April for us!

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hope this doesn’t complicate things, but the same wikiloc user has two trails marked from Cáceres to Casar de Cáceres. Here’s the second one.

This route, I think, follows the regular camino past the bull ring, then to the left, onto Avenida Lavanderas which becomes Calle Calatayud. At the screen shot I attach, the alternative (the orange line) takes you over the national highway on a pedestrian crosswalk right before the roundabout, Ronda Norte I think it is. At that roundabout, you can see the road going left at about 11 o’clock— that’s the paved terrifying road to Casar de Cáceres. The alternative orange route goes left at about ten o’clock, and seems to rejoin the normal camino at the point that it goes off the road.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
Thanks! My sweetie just pointed out that one can search for "how to take screen shot" and I did. The scary crosswalk doesn't really appeal to me as much as the bridge does, but it's great to have alternate ways to consider.

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
Hope this doesn’t complicate things, but the same wikiloc user has two trails marked from Cáceres to Casar de Cáceres. Here’s the second one.

This route, I think, follows the regular camino past the bull ring, then to the left, onto Avenida Lavanderas which becomes Calle Calatayud. At the screen shot I attach, the alternative (the orange line) takes you over the national highway on a pedestrian crosswalk right before the roundabout, Ronda Norte I think it is. At that roundabout, you can see the road going left at about 11 o’clock— that’s the paved terrifying road to Casar de Cáceres. The alternative orange route goes left at about ten o’clock, and seems to rejoin the normal camino at the point that it goes off the road.
Your route also shows on https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=16!39.4845!-6.3824
Maybe since then the route was re-routed.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
I've done the vdlp a few times and don't recall this section as being particularly bad but time does dim the memory. My guide book seems to indicate a path alongside the motorway

Attachments

peregrina2000

Staff member
I've done the vdlp a few times and don't recall this section as being particularly bad but time does dim the memory. My guide book seems to indicate a path alongside the motorway
I’m don't at all challenge your memory, but it means you were very lucky! Weekends and any time outside of rush hour would not be scary. This is not a big highway with a shoulder, it’s a narrow road connecting a little town with Cáceres. Only problem is that almost everyone who lives there seems to work in Cáceres.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I’m don't at all challenge your memory, but it means you were very lucky! Weekends and any time outside of rush hour would not be scary. This is not a big highway with a shoulder, it’s a narrow road connecting a little town with Cáceres. Only problem is that almost everyone who lives there seems to work in Cáceres.
I do seem to be lucky on my caminos!..but I still have nightmares over that stretch out of Ourense,the one up to Moclin, up to Montserrat and to Radicofini..as you can guess I'm not keen on hills. I've attached lop sided photos of my guide book so you can see the route he has..which I guess is the one mentioned

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Here it is on a Saturday afternoon in April. Not too busy, but I can imagine that it would be scary during commuting hours. There were a few km like this (as you can see ahead, generally not with the big shoulder in the foreground of this picture). The path moved off the actual road at some point and continued parallel at a safe distance.

Attachments

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Here it is on a Saturday afternoon in April. Not too busy, but I can imagine that it would be scary during commuting hours. There were a few km like this (as you can see ahead, generally not with the big shoulder in the foreground of this picture). The path moved off the actual road at some point and continued parallel at a safe distance.
Yikes!...all that greenery!...looks more like a dust bowl when i walk in july/august

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock