• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A second camino - motivations?

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hello Friends -
Earlier this year I walked the Camino Frances (with a start in Pamplona) and truly loved the experience, so much that I am considering another Camino in April/May of the coming year (I suspect the VDLP). I am wondering about my motivations however, and if doing another one so soon will prove disappointing.

So, I am curious to hear from those that have walked multiple caminos, especially within a year of one. What motivated you? Did you find the second attempt to be less enjoyable?

Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As for myself
"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées

Perhaps the first post of my last camino explained best why I walked the Camino Frances ten times; thus although my situation has changed while I was able to walk it served as my apologia.

Unfortunately now at 83 I am only able to walk long distances in my memory.

Hello Friends -
Earlier this year I walked the Camino Frances (with a start in Pamplona) and truly loved the experience, so much that I am considering another Camino in April/May of the coming year (I suspect the VDLP). I am wondering about my motivations however, and if doing another one so soon will prove disappointing.

So, I am curious to hear from those that have walked multiple caminos, especially within a year of one. What motivated you? Did you find the second attempt to be less enjoyable?

Thanks!

Go.

I have walked a few caminos and each one had it’s own brand of magic.

You’ll find what the way wishes to give.

Have a terrific time.

VDLP is on my bucket list.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Friends -

Thanks!
Only one way to find out - walk another Camino and see what happens ( I suspect it will not be your last).

I have only walked 3 so far. 2,000 kms all up.
But each one was unique and special.
No motivation required ;)

I big redraw card for me I think is the opportunity to totally unplug and be alone when I want to.
A rare thing these days particularly for those who have very busy day to day lives.
Nothing provides that better for me than the Camino.
Any route will do :rolleyes:

Answers to this will be highly variable, including because many pilgrims aren't always exactly sure of why they even walked their first Camino.

As to myself, I always need to have at least one clear and new purpose before I would even consider it, which is mostly why I have started just five Caminos since 1993, plus a Via Romea.

As to my second Camino in 1994, my reason for undertaking it became clear to me on my second arrival in Compostela in 1993, after being to the coast near Pontevedra, from walking up to the Seminario Menor in the dark, up a little mediaeval cobblestone street, it suddenly hit me "this is what it should be like", and I resolved there and then to walk again the following year, except do it "properly" - - which eventually turned out to be alone, and from home, which was Paris at the time.

But since then, without some specific reason, I would not start a Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Friends -

So, I am curious to hear from those that have walked multiple Caminos, especially within a year of one. What motivated you? Did you find the second attempt to be less enjoyable?

Thanks!
Walked one last year going again in May! ( I cant wait to start; already in my head it will be great if it isn't I will try my best to make it so! That's all we can do.)

So not a multiple Camino expert, just don't turn your thoughts into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Start on a high put your doubts behind you!
Your excited your living a great adventure really enjoy all of it the good bits; the bad won't seem so bad (the bad bits make better stories)

My thinking on doubt.
Simple human nature; if the majority give the response that the second walk was great it supports your desire to go and you are reassured in your decision on the VDLP !
If the majority say the second was disappointing will that stop you!
Probably not follow your heart (nothing has happened to the doubt)
Everybody's Camino is theirs not yours; make the most of YOUR Camino! :)
Perhaps try a shorter Camino that might not seem as daunting as the VDLP.
Whatever happens i hope your next walk is wonderful
All the best
Buen Camino
Woody

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
I walked my second Camino one year after the first. Even though the same route, it was different. Not better but not worse.

Since then I have walked twice more and each time holds new experiences

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
I wanted to have similar adventures, personal revelations and experiences along the way. That I got on the Portugese from Lisbon but in a completely different way. I went in with no expectations and allowed what was unfolding to happen. It was a totally different Camino than the Frances but brilliant in every way. Then I walked the Norte. Have to admit it was the best yet. Looking to plan another on another route. Thanks for asking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Addiction to open spaces, the sound of the wind, the feeling you get when you
have snow for breakfast, hail for lunch and rain for dinner, the sound of your shoes filled with rain water, In the camino the Madrid there is a place were you stand and look around 360 degrees and there is nothing but sky and grass not a soul, just heaven and earth, that feeling is what makes me come back, I can close my eyes and just remembering, the hairs in my arm just shoot up... oh well, see you there in the spring ;-)

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
During the first week of our first camino, we thought we must have lost our minds to be doing this. We also wondered how could anyone rational walk more than one. But when we finished in Santiago, we couldn't wait to do another. Now with 8 camino paths behind us and another already scheduled for next year, I can tell you that the magical mystical so very human if not primordial experience that a camino offers in these modern times continues to refresh body, mind and soul. Buen camino and ultraia, my fellow pellegrino!

I have only walked the Camino twice, both the CF by myself. I thoroughly enjoyed both although the second one perhaps not as much as I knew what was coming and didn't get the magic of arriving at places I had never been to before.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Friends -

Thanks!
I have walked 7 Camino’s and it is the people that draw me back every time , each one is so different .
my favourite walk is the Le Puy Via Podiensis , it’s sheer beauty and the wonderful medieval towns you pass through, surpass all others in my view, hence the reason I am taking it on again next May. Tough walk but worth it!!!

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
The second one will be different but for me at least as enjoyable. Less worried about stuff, will I manage, will I make it etc. I have now done 5 and am planning to do the Frances next year to celebrate my 70th.

As for myself
"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées

Perhaps the first post of my last camino explained best why I walked the Camino Frances ten times; thus although my situation has changed while I was able to walk it served as my apologia.

Your memories and the willingness to share them is what makes you such a cherished and valued member of this community. Many thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked solo in 2018. It was magical, spiritual, and at times very difficult (at age 71 but in pretty good shape). After arriving in Santiago and getting my Compostela, I imagined I was done with it, and would go on to other travel in the future, probably not walking. After a few months, though, the Way called me, I felt its pull, and planned to return in the spring of 2020. The pandemic intervened. Now it's mostly over, and albergues are open again, I do plan to return, not sure which route. I would like to walk in the spring, and possibly for 2 weeks rather than a month-plus. Suggestions?

have snow for breakfast, hail for lunch and rain for dinner, the sound of your shoes filled with rain water, In the camino the Madrid there is a place were you stand and look around 360 degrees and there is nothing but sky and grass not a soul, just heaven and earth, that feeling is what makes me come back, I can close my eyes and just remembering, the hairs in my arm just shoot up... oh well, see you there in the spring ;-)
...there is a place were you stand and look around 360 degrees and there is nothing but sky and grass not a soul, just heaven and earth, that feeling is what makes me come back.
That is exactly how I feel about the Meseta on the Camino Frances. It was a magical experience - every time.

I have walked 7 Camino’s and it is the people that draw me back every time , each one is so different .
my favourite walk is the Le Puy Via Podiensis , it’s sheer beauty and the wonderful medieval towns you pass through, surpass all others in my view, hence the reason I am taking it on again next May. Tough walk but worth it!!!
I really appreciated your comments. We have put off walking the Via Podiensis but are committed to walking it next September. You have raised our spirits.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow! Brings back memories. We loved the Meseta on the Camino Frances and were so excited to have a good stretch of that on the Camino Madrid. It did not disappoint us. We loved that feeling you described so well.

I have walked 6+ caminos; a variety every year since 2015, except when the dreaded virus reared its ugly head.
I loved every one of them and echo many of the sentiments expressed here; each one is unique.
I often think the "magic" of the Camino is the sometimes unknown reason that compels us to keep returning year after year, and for those unable to go repeatedly, this forum is testimony that the yearning and desire can't be shaken.
@mspath is a perfect example and she almost daily has devoted herself to continue investing her time on this forum with helpful advice and a kind spirit. She is still "going"...now that's camino magic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We've walked the French Way twice, '18 and '22. First time from Pamplona, 2nd from St. Jean. Since you started in Pamplona also the first time, perhaps start from St. Jean on your 2nd Camino just to cover some new ground. It was a pleasure to revisit the path twice, towns, albergues', views, . . . it was a real pleasure. In '23 we want to walk Porto - Santiago and, sometime in the future, the French another time!! We took the 'grand tour' of Europe in 2017, spent probably 15k over a month: Amsterdam, Berlin, Nice, Paris; we were always surrounded by people whom we were essentially paying to be nice to us; house us, take us someplace, explain something to us. The Camino is different, full of interesting people who are interested in you. The Way demands your attention long after you have experienced it.

Everyone will have their own answers for you; they don't matter. Rather, ask yourself why you are considering a second Camino. For me, it has become part of a balanced lifestyle, no different than someone who plays tennis (over and over again - what's with that?!), or goes to the symphony more than once in their life. I walk because I enjoy it. I suspect your real concern is that you will not feel the same way about your second as your first. All repeat offenders know that there is only ONE first-time for everything. But that doesn't mean that the second, third or fourth time aren't pretty good too. And just like tennis, it's not only enjoyable, but good for you as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you have the time, the means, and even the slightest inkling of desire to walk again next year…. Personally, I think you should go for it, if it feels right to you. 😊

I cannot speak from the perspective of going on pilgrimage to Santiago in subsequent years, yet I can speak as one who definitely thought about it. All these paths remain untraveled, and my old guides are now hopelessly out of date. I’ve got vintage copies of Miam Miam Dodo, Cicerone, lol. Arles, Le Puy, Mont-St-Michel, VdlP, Francigena. There was analysis paralysis over all the options, and then life kept rolling. No regrets, and no answers, but I've definitely had moments of wondering just like you.

I will say that a wonderful hospitalera on the CF, and a veteran of many Caminos, HIGHLY recommended the VdlP for its silence and contemplative beauty. It sounded very attractive. There’s not much I can add to the thoughtful insights above. mspath nails it – the heart has its reasons. Wishing the best as you think about your future plans. Buen Camino!

Hello Friends -

Thanks!

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
Morning
i am returning a third time to the Camino with my husband walking from St jpdp to Finestarre Next year and we can’t wait.
I have previous walked Sarria to Santiago and St jpdp to Navarro. I walked with a group the first time and with my husband the second time and as you know there is something so special about it we just have to go back and do the whole thing.
Our motivation is just that the satisfaction about completing the whole Camino but also what it gives back to you. I loved the first time so much so I had to share the experience with my husband who fell in love with it and sharing the whole Camino together is the icing on the cake. We are already looking forward to re visiting places we walked this and last year and for me the second trip was even more powerful than the first. Enjoy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your motivations are your own so only you can decide if it’s right for you now…or ever.

I haven’t done multiple caminos because, for me, there are for too many places to visit for the first time.

My first Camino was a magical, transformative experience. I thought hard about whether a second one would be worthwhile. Finally I decided not to overthink it. I approached the second one with the attitude of; the first one was great so I am going to do it again but without great expectations, I will just go and see what happens. As it turned out the second one, the Norte from Irun to Santiago followed by the Primitivo, was also amazing and special. The third was interrupted by the pandemic. The fourth was the most mystical of all. The fifth was challenging physically and socially for me. I am not sure what to make of it yet. My wife says that I haven’t finished the fifth and I will only understand it by going back for a sixth one!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am wondering about my motivations however, and if doing another one so soon will prove disappointing.

Thanks!
You probably need to let it ferment for some time.
What motivates YOU might not be what motivates me!
Let it store with you and let the memories pop up and see how it works on you...
Just asking the question, makes it rather plausible it will happen again...

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and insightful comments! While I am still not sure if I will do a second camino in the coming year I do suspect i will do a second one eventually. For now I am really keen on long multi week walks that don't require the carrying of sleep gear and food so the longer caminos, and the associated infrastructure, are a big appeal. I am also looking at walks in Nepal or the 88 Temple walk in Japan (which I learned about when visiting the church in Hontanas, that had a exhibit setup about pilgrimages around the world). I have a few weeks to decide...

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
I've walked the VDLP three times now and love it so it would be a good choice. IMO

My wife and I have walked six times now, so no lack of motivation. Covid put a damper on it as it has we haven't been back since April 2019.
I hate airports and flying at the best of times and hearing horror stories of traveling with all the Covid nonsense rules. This made us sit at home and local hiking and hiking in the Banff, Alberta area which has amazing hiking routes.
But looking to do the Del Norte in the fall of 2023

I walked a second Camino because I enjoyed the first one so much. While the second was a noticeably different experience from the first, the satisfaction was the same. I think if you try and recreate the exact experience you had previously you will be disappointed, however treating each as a unique experience overlaid on the foundations of your previous Camino will see you getting the most out of it.

I've walked multiple Caminos, but haven't yet had them within a year of each other (although I'm hoping that will be the case in 2023).

For me, the question has never been "why repeat?". It has always been the opposite "why not repeat?". I can see if the experience was terrible not repeating it, but that rarely seems to be the case with the people asking "why repeat"? They are more the people saying "It was one of the best experiences I've had, but I probably shouldn't do it again."

To me, that sounds as absurd as saying "This was the best song I've ever heard. I never want to hear it again." or "This was the best food I've ever eaten. Never put it in front of me again." I can see wanting some variety in the music one listens to or the food one eats, but to never go back to what one has enjoyed so much seems absurd. Going back for a repeat Camino quickly, is like asking for a second helping of the food one has enjoyed, or putting the same song on again right away, something I've been known to do occasionally.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As for myself
Pascal, Les Pensées

❤️

I just want to be some place where I have no other responsibilities except to get myself from A to B and along the way, have some exceptional experiences, laugh a lot, meet lots of people, take a ton of photos, enjoy the nature and simply have fun.
Planning #5 for this spring.
Personally, I don't think one needs a reason other than you want to do it.

If you have the call to go back, just do it!

My first two Caminos were just under a year apart. Started the Frances from SJPDP on June 9 2021 and started the Norte/Primitivo in late May 2022. And I will be departing on another walk in Late May 2023 - but this time I think I am doing the first half of the Via Francigena.

Why? I find walking long distance to be therapeutic. I am taking care of my physical and mental well being when I walk. I also love the "cheap" option for a long vacation - where else can I have such an inexpensive adventure for an entire summer? And doing a Pilgrimage is so much better than any ordinary vacation - as you get to experience the smaller communities close up - visiting local churches, bars, parks, and the tiny museums in small towns you might never think to visit. And meeting people from all around the world is just amazing - seriously, have you ever gotten to know people from around the world while on a regular vacation? I haven't.

Just be careful not to put expectations on each Camino. Your second one will not be "just like" the first. Go into each Camino with fresh eyes waiting for a new experience. You will see new things and meet new people. Even if you walk the same path - there will be differences (I did Melide to Santiago twice now - totally different experience).

On my second CF I was asked by a young Canadian on the train from Bayonne to SJPDP why I was doing it again - I told her that it was a difficult question to answer but when she got to SdC she might be able to answer it for herself but if she couldn't then I could not possibly explain why !!

Hey Mananath, I too questioned my motives to go back. I concluded (at least for me) that the only problem would be to try to re-create the same experience. This is an article I wrote at that time for a Camino Newsletter, hope it helps.
"I got a Kindle for Christmas. After the necessary machinations for a 53 yr. old to navigate any digital/wireless tech, I somewhat promptly downloaded a couple of books about the Camino. I walked from Pamplona to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014 and have been going through (what I understand to be typical) withdrawal symptoms, which I can only describe as grief and a mourning. I find myself trying to recapture the “feeling”, the “magic” that I experienced, most of the time, unsuccessfully. As I started reading the books on my Kindle, I suspected that the authors were attempting the same thing. Their retelling of the experience was relatable and well written but made me miss the Camino even more. I even began “planning” to walk from Porto to Santiago maybe this summer or fall. I realized, however, that it would be a mistake to try to recreate my Camino experience, for the exact same reason why it is so captivating and addictive. The Camino is its own ecosystem and creates an arena where we can truly live in the moment, in the now, even while we’re obsessed with the idea of having it again. The very nature of the Camino is that it is fleeting, transitory, and gone as soon as it is over. I would never be able to recapture the exact experience any more than I could capture lightening in a bottle. My need to feel: that excitement of seeing the village I’ll be able to stop in for “second breakfast”, the uncomfortable vulnerability of making intimate connections so quickly, the awe of the history and beauty, the freedom and absolute security, and the utter joy of the simplicity of a bed and a meal. All of these are simply a reminder that the only need I really have is to feel all of these things in this moment. I will never be able to recreate what I felt because it was for then. I want to integrate the feelings and lessons into now. I may very well make that trip to Porto to walk the Camino Portuguese, but it won’t be in order to feel the same feelings. It will be about putting me in a place where I can live in the moment and trust completely that the Camino will decide what I feel, because the Camino always provides.

Ps I walked the Camino Portuguese in 2017 and the Madrid in 2019...both were uniquely their own and fantastic. Buen Camino!

28th of February 2023 will see me start my 9th Camino, this time from Porto. I’m drawn back time and time again by the simplicity - all that I need is on my back, all the other ‘stuff’ stays at home and everyone I meet (as walkers) are of a similar motivation with no preconceptions as to who any of us ‘are’ other than peregrinos.

It’s one of the few addictions which is actually good for you.

I walk a lot. Pretty much daily; but always in circles. Only on Camino do I actually walk a journey. It’s different.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It’s one of the few addictions which is actually good for you.
An addiction that is good for you - for your spiritual, mental, and physical health - AND - one that doesn't break the bank if you plan according to your budget ability. Where else can I spend a month or more on a vacation and spend less than $2000 (not including airfare - and come back physically and mentally stronger than when I left?

Hello Friends -

Thanks!
Short answer - no. It will be different though. Have you thought about your third? You will.

If you really like a Magnum almond. Would a next one taste good as well? Probably, although it might 'taste' different than the first one, it might not taste any less.

€83,-
I'm thinking about doing my second this year too and did ask myself a similar question. However I met so many people on the Camino Frances last time who were walking for the second, third, fourth, even one guy his eleventh time and every one of them said it was never the same camino because of the people, and the things you see that you just passed by the last time. Each is it's own special pilgrimage!

I'm thinking about doing my second this year too and did ask myself a similar question. However I met so many people on the Camino Frances last time who were walking for the second, third, fourth, even one guy his eleventh time and every one of them said it was never the same camino because of the people, and the things you see that you just passed by the last time. Each is it's own special pilgrimage!
I have walked two camino Frances and loved them both, but I have since branched out to four others and they are all delightful. If you are "thinking" of a different one...just do it. You will not be disappointed!
Being from Scotland, do you wear kilts?🙂

I've walked multiple. Different routes, but also same routes but different stops. No two are really alike and I have enjoyed them all. I do admit familiarity of a route takes away some of the magic so to speak as walking it the first time, but that applies to so many things in life.
I never overthink it, I just plan another one and do it. I just feel so blessed to have the opportunity to have done just one let alone several, so you'll never find me whining that the subsequent ones didn't meet my expectations. That would be so lame. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Frances from St Jean last spring, it gave me so much. My dad joined me from Sarria and he came alive again after losing my mum. We're walking from Porto together this spring because I want him to have a camino that's his and not joining mine, and I can't wait to go again. Having my only job for the day being to walk works wonders for me.

I walked the CF from SJPdP to SdC in July 2019.
It was an experience I loved and wanted more. The people, the changing landscapes, the nature, the fellow pilgrims. The fun and the insights, the music and the churches and cathedrals.
Crossed the Alps in August 2021 on the E5, another exceptional experience, but nothing like a camino.

Then there was the "bug".

Now my flight to Porto is booked for end of March to walk a CP and to get to Finisterre this time.

I big redraw card for me I think is the opportunity to totally unplug and be alone when I want to.

Having my only job for the day being to walk works wonders for me.

Take those quotes, add a dose of history, a pinch of nature and sprinkle good food: the recipe for my perfect trip, the reason I've done 3 caminos and dreaming of a 4th. :)

I hardly think that back-to-back caminos will prove disappointing. But it will surely be a different experience. Different places, less fears, more familiarity, and god knows what type of surprises.
So, if advices are worth anything, don't go expecting to repeat or relive anything, go embrace a new adventure, now with a bit more experience. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
6 years later and the pull never goes away. I went with two other people last time and wish to do one on my own now. I think the Frances again. The hardest part is finding the when and how. Sometimes I think I just need a sign 😉

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back