• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A sensitive question

Jim Miller

Time of past OR future Camino
I am 76 years old and will be starting my Camino in 6 months. Us "Geezers" like our "regularity," and for me it comes in the form of a softener/laxative name Myralax. I will be taking my time on the trek, and plan on a 6 week journey. That means I will need to take around 45 packets/doses of the above, which will weigh in at over 2 pounds. Since it's all about lbs. & grams, I certainly do not want to have to carry all that "poop powder" if I can help it.
So my question is, does anyone know if the Spanish drug stores carry this product or a product called Macrogol 3350, which is the Spanish equivalent. I would love to just carry say a dozen packets and reload a few time along the way.
Jim Miller

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome, Jim.

You should have no problem with the Spanish farmacias. They are very well stocked and professional.
One difference you will find is that the big (or small) markets do not carry this kind of thing like the big US stores.
You would have to go to a pharmacy. Be sure you have the Spanish product name written down along with the Spanish for the type of product so a substitution can be suggested if they don't have the specific brand.
The pharmacies are everywhere. You may have to try a couple to get what you need.

Yes, I would also have a list of whatever ingredients are in the product or the generic name, if there is one.
But as grayland says, you should have no problem finding it or a substitute.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Been old does not mean you have to live with certain things if for no other heath issue instead Eat lots of vegetables (hard to do in the camino so visit supermarkets), prunes for fiber, drink lots and lots of water so fiber does not turn into cement and take a probiotic better to carry in the tummy then in backpack. My father back at your age was having the same problem, and his Dr said "eat less move more" and gave him the list God bless him he lived to be 96 and flushed :)

Zzotte

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am 76 years old and will be starting my Camino in 6 months. Us "Geezers" like our "regularity," and for me it comes in the form of a softener/laxative name Myralax. I will be taking my time on the trek, and plan on a 6 week journey. That means I will need to take around 45 packets/doses of the above, which will weigh in at over 2 pounds. Since it's all about lbs. & grams, I certainly do not want to have to carry all that "poop powder" if I can help it.
So my question is, does anyone know if the Spanish drug stores carry this product or a product called Macrogol 3350, which is the Spanish equivalent. I would love to just carry say a dozen packets and reload a few time along the way.
Jim Miller
Whilst I would never comment on medical matters as such,may I say that on the Camino ,both in Spain and Portugal ,all the Famicias went"above and beyond" when it came to advice and assistance.Many thanks to them.

Jim Miller
Firstly, congratulations on undertaking the Camino. My spouse and I (both in our 70s) completed it two weeks ago. The experience of a lifetime. Secondly, I agree with Gitteharre that the hours of daily walking will do surprising (beneficial) things to one's lower GI tract. Indeed one may find oneself looking for the opposite kind of product. ;) Wishing you Buen Camino, Sherrie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walk my friend. Nature will take care of you.

Walk my friend. Nature will take care of you.
Jerbear, your typewriter keys to God's ears! Seriously though, for older folk who have been habituated to daily use of Miralax for many years nature may not do the job. The Camino presents enough challenges without using it as a way to get off a medication. Even if one is trying, good to know the medication is available!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jim -

I sympathise ... I find that my digestive system - often uncooperative - is worse when I travel. 20-odd hours on the plane from Sydney to Madrid, sitting for extended periods in a very dry aircraft cabin environment, is guaranteed to 'stop the works'. As you're coming from the US (I think), you'll likely have a long flight, so here's my recommendation :

• Make sure to book yourself an aisle seat so you can get up and move around the cabin often (and obviously this is advised to guard against DVT)
  • Drink plenty of liquids - particularly hot drinks such as herbal teas. Hot drinks help get everything flowing and the caffeine-free ones won't disrupt your sleep on the plane. As you're sitting in the aisle seat you won't disturb your fellow passengers when you get up to use the bathroom facilities and to move around the cabin
  • On arrival at your destination in Spain, at your first meal, order a large salad and use PLENTY of the gorgeous Spanish olive oil on the salad - this usually does the trick! ;):)
Best wishes for a happy and healthy Camino, Jim -

Cheers - Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jim Miller

Jim, my dear late father-in-law was also dependant on a little assistance... a side affect of his other medications... so I can totally sympathise with your situation. His doctor in the UK wrote him a note with his drug and the generic alternative and my pharmacy in France was totally happy with this information, I reckon the same will be true in Spain.

If at all possible maybe try and see if you can get something written into Spanish, and as others have said pharmacy's are plentiful.

Have a great walk :)

Been old does not mean you have to live with certain things if for no other heath issue instead Eat lots of vegetables (hard to do in the camino so visit supermarkets), prunes for fiber, drink lots and lots of water so fiber does not turn into cement and take a probiotic better to carry in the tummy then in backpack. My father back at your age was having the same problem, and his Dr said "eat less move more" and gave him the list God bless him he lived to be 96 and flushed :)

Zzotte
Great answer Zzotte. I am 71 and do all these things and never have a problem,home or away. (plus the odd vino tinto and cerveza of course!!)

Yes Joe nothing is as good as a happy gut :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jim Miller
Hi. It's a dam good question, I took a months supply of senakot and found the locally available alternatives a challenge. The diet does not have a lot of fibre and although I ate lots of fruit and veg when I could keeping regular at the right time of day when loos were close was on occasion an issue for me. When my travelling companions and myself at last broached the subject everyone was suffering. One lady had real issues. Although I can't answer your question it is a very very proper subject. Next time I shall pack more senakot

@Jim Miller - I wholeheartedly sympathise with your concern. I am a relatively young 'geezer' (61) and have suffered with a sluggish digestive system for a great part of my life, despite eating industrial amounts of fruit and vegetables. I can manage the situation at home by using fibre supplements such as psyllium husks, but this is way too fussy to replicate on the camino.

It doesn't help to be told that a morning coffee (I don't drink it) and copious amounts of olive oil will solve my problem. It won't, and I certainly don't want to take the chance of suffering with an extremely uncomfortable bloated stomach that could easily spoil my camino.

Instead I carry a supply of 'dulcolax' which is available in Spain. I remove a sufficient number of the tiny pills from their foil wrapping and carry them in a tiny pot.

Even with this system, it is not always a matter of a quick visit to the loo on waking - sluggish digestive systems don't like to be rushed. And I certainly don't want to be the cause of a queue forming whilst I wait for something to happen. We can all make jokes about this subject (me included), but it isn't actually very funny to be ruled by a lazy gut.

So I have developed the habit of taking one of my precious pills on arrival at the albergue, rather than at bedtime. This way I can make use of the facilities when they are least in demand - either in the evening or during the night, when I creep ultra quietly to the loo (without using a light or loudly slapping flip flops across the tiled floor).

Walking every day and a spanish diet might work for some, but you can be sure there are many others for whom this is a significant problem that will cause considerable concern.

First

Macrogol is widely available in Spain and as the pharmacies on the Camino not only cater to pilgrims but also to the village population, usually well stocked.

Second

Moving, drinking a lot of water and eating a healthy diet will do wonders to that kind of movements.

Third

A healthy sip of olive oil in the morning will get things moving also ...

Fourth

You have six months to wean yourself of your laxative addiction. That is if you don't need them because of a serious underlying condition. If that is the case I apologize for the word addiction!

Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can't speak about the pharmacies in Spain, but medically speaking, coffee is a diuretic, water loosens things, and gravity and movement help to shake things loose. If you are already drinking a morning coffee and copious amounts of water and walking a lot every day, then you will see little change. If not, this will help. I would bring a 3 week supply in a ziplock bag and have someone able to mail you a resupply along the way in case you cannot find it there.

I suspect that you should be able to find it or a suitable alternative. Afterall, everybody poops.

Another thing is because you need more calories, you find yourself absorbing the maximum amount so you may not produce the same amount of faecal waste. Despite doubling your calorie intake. And if it is hot, you will need to drink a fair amount of water.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took fiber for years because of problems. I learned that taking magnesium citrate supplements solved that problem and a lot of others like knee and joint problems. I had no problems being regular on the Camino this past summer.

In my experience, Spanish pharmacy workers are very professional, also compared to here in Norway. They really know what they are doing. IMHO, you can fully trust them to help you in the best ways possible, and remember, you are not the first pilgrim entering their doors asking for advice. They know it all, and are very well educated. Even more, I believe, than in most of our countries. At least, that is my experience from several years.

Have no fear.

Buen Camino!

Jim Miller
Hi Jim
As everyone has said you should have no problem getting your medication over in Spain. If you are really concerned just take a copy of the packet so they can supply you with a similar product. I did that on one of my previous caminos when I was struck with the flu and a substitute was found with no problems.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.