• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A Shell for Cruz de Ferro - Tipperary to Santiago

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
For the past 2 weeks I have been walking through Clare connecting with my home County, friends, and family but now it is time to continue on to Dublin, then the length of France before the final stretch through the field of stars, The Camino de Santiago. There is a ancient custom to carry and leave a stone from your home or one you pick up along the way. I have been fortunate to make it to Cruz de Ferro 3 times in the past but each time I went without a Stone. (You can read my story ‘Three Times to Cruz de Ferro With No Stone’ on my blog at: http://www.thesenioradventurer.com/3-times-to-cruz-de-ferro-with-no-stone/
This Camino has me walking from my ancestral home and I was determined to bring a stone this time. I was given one by a dear Camino friend from a beautiful isolated beach on Mallorca, where I have been spending time of late working on learning Spanish.

Another one I picked up in the very special Tibetan Tsum Valley on the Manaslu Trek in Nepal this past April.
1529562754360.png

Then today, I selected a third stone off the beach in
Carrigaholt, the birth home of my grandmother, Mary Scanlan.
1529562754476.png

So this time finds me overly prepared with not one, but three special Stones. Just moments later I came to a fork in the road. My plan was to go left taking me by my grandmother’s birth home, and my deceased cousin John Kevin Scanlon’s family home as well as the quickest route according to Google Maps. For no reason whatsoever, I went right. About 10 minutes later I see a woman walking out of a graveyard and I remembered just last night asking my cousin Martin Dan Scanlon when we were walking through the old graveyard directly across the street from his home about his brother John Kevin’s grave. He was killed in a boating accident back in 2009 and Martin had said “He is at the other graveyard”. So I thought this is probably that graveyard. I asked the woman standing just inside the gate of the graveyard now if she was local and she said no. “Oh too bad.” i said. “I am looking for the grave of my cousin, John Kevin Scanlon. I will just have to look around and hopefully find it”. She than looking at the first grave inside the gate repeated, “John Kevin Scanlon”. Then “Here it is”. I thanked her and said goodbye as she left. Then said a prayer to John at the grave side and was about to leave when I noticed the grave was covered with sea shells. The scallop shell happens to be the most iconic symbol of The Camino de Santiago. I had met John just a few times over the years but I felt he was the the type of person that would have loved the pilgrimage to Santiago. So instinctively I picked up a shell and placed it in my pocket.

70CED1BB-BD2D-4F85-AC88-8F5A11B8B82F.jpeg
(On top of my backpack is John Kevin’s shell)

So, i lift my backpack once more and happily walk on realizing that I did more than just connect with my ancestors here in Clare. With this shell, I sense all passed on family members and ancestors are joining me on this pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
Ultreia! Onward!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back