A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

A SHELL FOR DENISE....

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
An announcement from Rebekah Scott and others

A SHELL FOR DENISE
Death is here among us, even on the Camino.

The pilgrim community is particularly struck by the loss of Denise Thiem, an American pilgrim whose life was taken from her this spring while she walked the Camino. We, her fellow pilgrims, are searching for tangible expressions of our feelings of loss as well as solidarity and hope.

A Shell for Denise is a way each pilgrim can mark the death of our sister Denise Thiem Each traveler on the Way of St. James can carry along an extra seashell as a remembrance of Denise’s unfinished journey.

Pilgrims traditionally carry scallop shells to symbolize their status as a Santiago pilgrim. An extra shell costs little and weighs almost nothing. You can inscribe it as you like, and once you arrive at Santiago de Compostela, you can present your memorial seashell at the Pilgrim House at 19 Rua Nova. Faith, Nate, and their crew of managers will care for the collection until plans are finalized for a more permanent pilgrim memorial.

If you are not making the pilgrimage, you can send your name and a message to
shellfordenise@gmail.com, and a scallop shell will be inscribed for you.

The Memorial Committee is:
Ivar Rekve and Grayland of
www.caminodesantiago.me
Camino Chaplaincy
Pilgrim House
Peaceable Kingdom Moratinos

Please pass this announcement along to your Camino friends and community..

Last edited by a moderator:

compliance51

member 2013
Camino(s) past & future
april (2013) SJPP to SDC.
MAY (2015 )Via Podensis
Thank you Ivar for remembering Denise Thiem with this act of kindness. We prayed for her to be found and our prayers were answered. Such a beautiful soul on a world journey that ended in heaven. Rest beautiful child of God and pilgrim of the Camino.

CaminoDebrita

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I think I will have a red heart and her initials on my shell, so that people will see a D <3 T from the outside.

On the inside, I plan to write her name, and the date of the carrier (or for whom it was carried), with the date departed from location and then the date arrived to location.

Sigh.

Caneadea

Camino(s) past & future
Future walks (2017)

A SHELL FOR DENISE

The pilgrim community is particularly struck by the loss of Denise Thiem, an American pilgrim whose life was taken from her this spring while she walked the Camino. We, her fellow pilgrims, are searching for tangible expressions of our feelings of loss as well as solidarity and hope.

A Shell for Denise is a way each pilgrim can mark the death of our sister Denise Thiem Each traveler on the Way of St. James can carry along an extra seashell as a remembrance of Denise’s unfinished journey.

Pilgrims traditionally carry scallop shells to symbolize their status as a Santiago pilgrim. An extra shell costs little and weighs almost nothing. You can inscribe it as you like, and once you arrive at Santiago de Compostela, you can present your memorial seashell at the Pilgrim House at 19 Rua Nova. Faith, Nate, and their crew of managers will care for the collection until plans are finalized for a more permanent pilgrim memorial.

www.caminodesantiago.me
Camino Chaplaincy
Pilgrim House

Thank you so much!

peter23

Bloger
Camino(s) past & future
2010-2017 Camino Portugues, Ingles, Frances x2, del Norte x2, Primitivo.
I translated this announcement to Polish and post on my website. We send info to our Polish Community and people from Poland who are still walking the Camino.
Someone will bring a shell from me. Peter

Lockslay

Orlando Sixto
Camino(s) past & future
Oct 2014 will be my first with my son at my side

A SHELL FOR DENISE

www.caminodesantiago.me
Camino Chaplaincy
Pilgrim House

Hello - hope you don't mind, I have copied and published this text at Facebook's pages for the American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) and also on South Florida Camino.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanPilgrims/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Southfloridacamino/

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
By the way, everyone, Pilgrim House is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays, 6 - 8 holidays a year, and the first three weeks in January. We're in the middle of figuring out a way for you to safely deposit your shell if you'll be arriving on a day we're closed, and we'll keep you posted. In the meantime, though, please send us a private message through this Forum, Facebook, or shellfordenise@gmail.com and we'll figure something out for you if you'll be coming in with a shell on a day we're closed. Thanks so much.
Faith

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
By the way, everyone, Pilgrim House is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays, 6 - 8 holidays a year, and the first three weeks in January....
Faith
So just to refresh my memory, where is Pilgrim House? I know it's not for from the cathedral of the O Plaza. As I said earlier I have two small shells and would be happy to donate one. It was carried (by cycle) from Pamplona. Cheers Mike

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
So just to refresh my memory, where is Pilgrim House? I know it's not for from the cathedral of the O Plaza. As I said earlier I have two small shells and would be happy to donate one. It was carried (by cycle) from Pamplona. Cheers Mike
Hi Mike,
Yes, it's very close to the Cathedral, on Rua Nova, 19. Rua Nova runs parallel to Rua Vilar, and Rua Vilar is where the Pilgrim's Office is located. We'd be happy to receive your shell - congrats on completing another Camino!
Take care,
Faith

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo
Hi, I leave in 2 weeks for SJPDP, and I will be carrying a shell for Denise. Is there any reason why I should carry two shells? I have inscribed my shell to Denise, and I will leave it at the Pilgrim House. My camino this time will be for her in her memory, so I see no point in carrying two shells. Jill

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
There is no need to carry two shells if you have no wish to keep one for yourself.
I think most like to keep a shell as a momento...so carrying a second shell makes it possible to leave one at The Pilgrim House.

(I might also remind all that you can ask that a shell be inscribed for you, if you are not walking this year. Send a request to shellfordenise@gmail.com.
The Pilgrim house will inscribe one in your name and add it to the collection.
The shells are donated by Johnniewalker.)

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
Hi Mike,
Yes, it's very close to the Cathedral, on Rua Nova, 19. Rua Nova runs parallel to Rua Vilar, and Rua Vilar is where the Pilgrim's Office is located. We'd be happy to receive your shell - congrats on completing another Camino!
Take care,
Faith
Thanks Nate, I dropped by yesterday and left my shell. M

WildPlace

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, 2015
Via de la Plata (2020)
I will drop by Pilgrim House later in the week with my shell, it's the same shell that I carried 2 years ago when I walked to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the loss of my son. I walked recently from SJPP to Burgos with the same shell and I can't think of anything I would like more than to dedicate it to my peregrina sister Denise.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
I will drop by Pilgrim House later in the week with my shell, it's the same shell that I carried 2 years ago when I walked to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the loss of my son. I walked recently from SJPP to Burgos with the same shell and I can't think of anything I would like more than to dedicate it to my peregrina sister Denise.
Dear WildPlace,
We feel so honored to receive and hold the shells of all those who participate in this gesture, and to receive your shell will be the same, if not more so given its whole story. I'm so sorry about your son. Take care and we look forward to meeting you very soon.
Faith

WildPlace

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, 2015
Via de la Plata (2020)
Dear WildPlace,
We feel so honored to receive and hold the shells of all those who participate in this gesture, and to receive your shell will be the same, if not more so given its whole story. I'm so sorry about your son. Take care and we look forward to meeting you very soon.
Faith
Hi Faith, I dropped by yesterday, I think it was maybe you I saw? Photo was taken anyway and I also wrote a note for the family which I left with the other notes on the table

Inbar

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances September 2015; Camino Portugues October 2017
I only learned about this initiative a few days ago. Strangely was a few kilometers after Astorga by then. The shell has been making this journey with me from where Denise's journey came to an end...
Soon it will find its way to you.

LauraK

Camino(s) past & future
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
Leaving Leon for the Del Salvador and Primitivo tomorrow. Purchased my shell and inscribed Denise's name on it. It will be making the journey with me.

kerrychick

Camino(s) past & future
2009 camino francis 2006 porto way 2010 camino francis 2014 camino francis.starting in Logrono in sep 2016.
This is a beautiful thing ,my sister and i were devastated when we learned about Denise and followed the story with hope that she would be found alive .Its so sad as a fellow pilgrim to think of her walking along the way enjoying her journey and not thinking about the evil in the world but being visited by it in sutch a cruel and cowardly way.
I would be happy to carry a shell with her name on it and continue her journey in a very small way.

El Gallo

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances; Sept.2015
I was on the camino when her remains were discovered. Here was the shell I carried for her to Santiago. I selected this particular shell because it had the butterfly painted on it. I felt it best symbolized Denise's spirit. IMG_4975.jpg

T-Camino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
We are starting the Camino Frances in mid May and I think this is such a lovely idea. Will it still be ok for us to take a shell for Denise?

camino07

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
I dropped a shell off at the Pilgrim Welcome and they hadn't yet decided what to do with them. Wonder if anything has been arranged as a memorial?

LauraK

Camino(s) past & future
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
I also dropped a shell off in early November. It would be nice to get an update on the memorial.

kerrychick

Camino(s) past & future
2009 camino francis 2006 porto way 2010 camino francis 2014 camino francis.starting in Logrono in sep 2016.
what is happening about a memorial to Denise ,i for one would support it

as i feel very strongly about it

my heart goes out to her family.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi everyone, so sorry I haven't gotten the chance to give you an update until now. So far pilgrims have dropped off around 160 shells (below is a photo of some of them), and yes, you may absolutely keep bringing them in when you've arrived in Santiago this year. There is still discussion about a memorial but we're moving very, very slowly, given all the circumstances. I'll try to keep you all updated when there is any news to share about a memorial. Take care!
Faith

Attachments

Dennis D

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2014
Francés - 2015
Francés - 2016
Francés - 2017
Francés - 2018
Francés/Primitive (2019)
Thank you for the update. I look forward to meeting you, when I leave my shell with you for Denise, at the end of May.

Hopefully a tragedy like this won't happen again.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Checking in here, Faith, to see if it is OK to bring more...and Hurrah, it is! I'll be in Santiago early in April and look forward to offering a heartfelt tribute of shells, and perhaps meeting. A big bow of thanks!

kelleymac

Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
I walked last Spring just a few days ahead of Denise. --I go again this April to walk from SJPP to Burgos. -- We only have two weeks.... But I will carry a shell for Denise with hopes of giving it to a pilgrim who is walking to Santiago to carry it for me.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi everyone,
As it's been almost a year since Denise died (April 5), we've set up a small temporary memorial here in Pilgrim House, with some of the shells you all have carried as well as a few candles. When you arrive in Santiago, please feel free to come on by and honor her memory.

Take care,
Faith

Pilgrim House
Rua Nova, 19
Santiago de Compostela

Brubru

Camino(s) past & future
Starting my first Camino in 44 days!!!!
Hi everyone,
As it's been almost a year since Denise died (April 5), we've set up a small temporary memorial here in Pilgrim House, with some of the shells you all have carried as well as a few candles. When you arrive in Santiago, please feel free to come on by and honor her memory.

Take care,
Faith

Pilgrim House
Rua Nova, 19
Santiago de Compostela
I'll be there in June God blessing me. I'm doing this way for my brother Michel who at the very young of 24 decided he didn't want to walk on this earth anymore.... I'll carry an extra she'll for Denise too...

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
I'll be there in June God blessing me. I'm doing this way for my brother Michel who at the very young of 24 decided he didn't want to walk on this earth anymore.... I'll carry an extra she'll for Denise too...
I just saw your post now, @Brubru . So, so sorry for your loss. We look forward to meeting you in June and hearing about your Camino. Take care and have a blessed walk.
Faith

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
In case those who first commented on this thread have not yet heard, here's an update on where some of Denise's shells went: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/denise-memorial-tree-a-place-for-your-shells.39490/

We will keep the rest in Pilgrim House for now, and perhaps place some more around Denise's tree later. Just a reminder that if you're on the trail now/ soon and would like to come visit her temporary memorial once you get to Santiago, please do come by. We're located at Rua Nova, 19, just a 3-minute walk from the Cathedral.
Take care,
Faith

julia-t

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2015-17
Kumano Kodo March 2018
Camino Portuguese Valenca-SdC April 2018
I'm continuing my Camino from Astorga on 17 March, and would like to carry a shell for Denise.
I am only walking for a few days, but am returning in April and expect to be in Santiago de Compostela on 30 April.
Can I still bring the shell for Denise to the Pilgrim House?

Edit, I have just seen the link to the Tree for Denise, and if it feels appropriate I may leave it there, or perhaps I shall still carry it to Santiago for her, to carry it on the journey she was robbed of.

Last edited:

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi Julia,
You are very welcome to leave it with us at Pilgrim House - we're still collecting shells for Denise. And if it feels more right to leave it at her tree at Ecce Homo park, please do that. One thing to note is that Pilgrim House is closed on Sundays and Wednesdays, and April 30 happens to be a Sunday this year. Will you be in Santiago for a few more days?

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino.
Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%