• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A short walk on the Sanabres

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
I was extremely fortunate to be able to walk another pilgrimage this year, this time from Ourense on the Sanabres.

I made the decision to walk on 24 May, picked up a credencial on 25 May, travelled to Ourense on 26 May and started walking on 27 May. This is clearly a short time frame, added to which I did want to see if it was still possible to walk in much the same way as I did back in 2010, when I first walked the CF. I am pleased to say it was.

Equipment​

Earlier this year, I took advantage of being in Portugal to get up to Valenca, and walked the Variante Espriritual. There were a few things that I knew hadn't been used during that walk that I knew could come out of my pack, and nothing that needed to be added. The basics were:

Pack - Aarn Natural Exhilieration. This was my wife's 2016 camino pack. The Aarn concept is based on the same principles as military load carrying equipment, but isn't nearly as robust, and I have now had to make running repairs to this pack on three occasions, including on this trip. I like the concept, not impressed with the execution.​
Footwear - Snowgum Cooper Mk III waterproof mid-height boot with an aftermarket Scholl insole. This has a mesh fabric and suede upper with a rubber toeguard and is reasonably well padded. The lacing arrangement is not ideal for a hiking boot - it doesn't allow for two tightness zones - but it can be set up for tractor lacing. I also carried a very light pair of Dunlop beach shoes for evening wear.​
Clothing - I wore a long sleeved knit shirt as a base layer, a trekking shirt, briefs and trekking trousers, and carried a complete replica set. In addition, I had a rain jacket, rain pants, light fleece and a pair of boxer shorts to sleep in. I use liner socks inside a mid-weight trekking sock. I had four pairs of trekking socks in total, enough to change socks during the day for two days in a row, and two pairs of liner socks.​
Medical / First aid - the first aid kit that I use is one I use at home bushwalking, and is now probably overmatched against the needs of the camino, and needs to be reduced in size before being used on another camino. I carry a travel CPAP with its associated accessories, and prescription and complementary medications. I carried a commercial re-hydration powder which I take at the end of each walking day.​
Night - sleeping bag and liner.​
Food/Water - 2 li Source bladder with a 500 ml reserve bottle. Muesli bars, gummi bears, hard candy and chocolate. Fruit, normally an apple or orange, an emergency ration, and on a couple of days, a packed lunch.​
Gadgets - mobile phone in a waterproof sleeve, GPS and small camera, power bank, travel adapter, charging cables, pocket knife, spork, multi-tool, cable ties, lightweight trowel (and TP), hikers wool, paper tape, cord and emergency blanket.​
edit: Wet bag - liquid soap, facecloth/towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, nail kit, comb, denture care pack, foot powder, etc. It was trimmed a little before I left, but there are still items that weren't needed.​
Other - this year is the first time that I have carried an umbrella, specifically the Telescope Handsfree from EuroSchirm. It works well in light rain and is a great parasol, but it is not a complete solution in wind driven rain. There is enough said about umbrellas that I won't do more than say it was worth the extra weight.​

Accommodation​

There wasn't time to do a lot of research, and I didn't intend to book any more than was absolutely necessary. My experience on the CP in 2022 and again this year was that albergues that cannot be booked, like the Xunta, municipal and some parochial and association albergues, were never full. This might be different on the CF, but I was banking on it being possible to walk most days to an albergue and get a bed without booking. The only difficulty that I foresaw was that the only albergue in Castro-Dozen was closed, and to keep to around 20 km/day, I would have to go through Oseira and have a couple of shorter days.

I ended up booking at Estacion de Lalin and Ponte Ulla, but nowhere else. After Ourense, where there were just two of us in an albergue with 40 bunks, the other Xunta albergues were never full. Indeed, no top bunks were occupied by other than people putting their gear up off the floor. I know that @dick bird and others have been making the observation that the accommodation issues that seem to be affecting the CF are not evident on other routes, and my experience supports that view.

Other Pilgrims​

There was a floating group of about 20 other pilgrims, some of whom I saw several days in a row. Others were walking much longer distances than I was, and I didn't see them again. Cyclists one only saw the once. The ones that I did see passed with plenty of warning and didn't create any alarm for me.

Some pilgrims had used the closure of the albergue at Castro-Dozen as a reason to take a taxi from Oseira. I found that an unusual approach in the last 100 km.

There were others who were walking in groups, with the individuals carrying no more than a water bottle and a sit pad. Clearly pilgrimage takes many forms!

Tools and Apps​

I downloaded tracks from the Centro de Descargas, and loaded them onto my GPS. I purchased the Wise Pilgrim Plata app, and I have OSMAnd+, Gronze and the IGN app loaded on my phone. I tend not to use my phone for navigation, preferring to use my handheld GPS. But that being said, the Plata app was excellent. When I discovered an omission in the Plata app, it was fixed within a couple of hours of letting @wisepilgrim know about it. It was a little unstable on my phone, but that appears to have been addressed as well.

On the walk into the Praza do Obradoiro, I planned to drop my pack at Albergue do Seminario Menor and visit Pilgrim House on my way, so I plotted this out on OSMAand+, not that it was going to be a difficult variation to the route on the Plata app.

I didn't use the Gronze app as much as I thought I might, preferring to go directly to the website in a browser.

And in all of this, the waymarking was excellent, and it would have been possible to just follow that. There were only one or two places where one might have had to be careful, but that could be said of waymarking anywhere.

Some final observations​

This short pilgrimage has demonstrated to me that it is still possible to walk without too much preparation and planning. It seems a shame to me that routes like the CF have become more difficult to undertake. I suspect that the combination of baggage transport and bookings have created an entirely different set of circumstances to that which existed a decade ago. There is probably no going back now, and it is what we will live with. But this short camino has demonstrated to me that it is still possible to walk without booking, and I am still fit enough to carry my own pack, so I expect that I will be thinking of another Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
These two postings are very encouraging to us. I just started planning a camino for next May, starting in Ponferrada on the Invierno, then busing from Rodeiro to Ourense to walk from there to Muxia. It's still not an overly long camino -- 390 kms -- but will take us to places we haven't walked to. We keep seeking out less crowded caminos, and this looks very promising in that regard.

That's 2024. A few weeks we walked in Navarra, including part of the Camino Baztan. Gorgeous, and the locals are working on expanding the number of albergues. We're planning on 2025 for that full camino, adding some of the other caminos, such as Pamplona, where Baztan ends, to Vitoria-Gasteiz, a town we fell in love with, rated as the greenest city in Europe. We believe it.

There are many of these old caminos (primitivos and olvidados, if you wish) that are undergoing improvements, with better markings and infrastructure. And to all of our benfit.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also found it a nice piece of stretch that I recommend others to do, when they want a nice stretch of only one week and no crowds. Apart from that it is beautiful and tranquil...
I recommend to end up 10 Ks before SdC and stay at Reina Lupa in Susanah, have a nice night and have an early walk-in next morning....

I recommend to end up 10 Ks before SdC and stay at Reina Lupa in Susanah, have a nice night and have an early walk-in next morning....
That certainly looked like an attractive option when I started planning, but the closure of the albergue at Castro-Dozen meant taking a short day to Oseira, and I don't have the legs for the long day that getting to Reina Lupa would have needed.

I was extremely fortunate to be able to walk another pilgrimage this year, this time from Ourense on the Sanabres.

I made the decision to walk on 24 May, picked up a credencial on 25 May, travelled to Ourense on 26 May and started walking on 27 May. This is clearly a short time frame, added to which I did want to see if it was still possible to walk in much the same way as I did back in 2010, when I first walked the CF. I am pleased to say it was.

Equipment​

Earlier this year, I took advantage of being in Portugal to get up to Valenca, and walked the Variante Espriritual. There were a few things that I knew hadn't been used during that walk that I knew could come out of my pack, and nothing that needed to be added. The basics were:

Pack - Aarn Natural Exhilieration. This was my wife's 2016 camino pack. The Aarn concept is based on the same principles as military load carrying equipment, but isn't nearly as robust, and I have now had to make running repairs to this pack on three occasions, including on this trip. I like the concept, not impressed with the execution.​
Footwear - Snowgum Cooper Mk III waterproof mid-height boot with an aftermarket Scholl insole. This has a mesh fabric and suede upper with a rubber toeguard and is reasonably well padded. The lacing arrangement is not ideal for a hiking boot - it doesn't allow for two tightness zones - but it can be set up for tractor lacing. I also carried a very light pair of Dunlop beach shoes for evening wear.​
Clothing - I wore a long sleeved knit shirt as a base layer, a trekking shirt, briefs and trekking trousers, and carried a complete replica set. In addition, I had a rain jacket, rain pants, light fleece and a pair of boxer shorts to sleep in. I use liner socks inside a mid-weight trekking sock. I had four pairs of trekking socks in total, enough to change socks during the day for two days in a row, and two pairs of liner socks.​
Medical / First aid - the first aid kit that I use is one I use at home bushwalking, and is now probably overmatched against the needs of the camino, and needs to be reduced in size before being used on another camino. I carry a travel CPAP with its associated accessories, and prescription and complementary medications. I carried a commercial re-hydration powder which I take at the end of each walking day.​
Night - sleeping bag and liner.​
Food/Water - 2 li Source bladder with a 500 ml reserve bottle. Muesli bars, gummi bears, hard candy and chocolate. Fruit, normally an apple or orange, an emergency ration, and on a couple of days, a packed lunch.​
Gadgets - mobile phone in a waterproof sleeve, GPS and small camera, power bank, travel adapter, charging cables, pocket knife, spork, multi-tool, cable ties, lightweight trowel (and TP), hikers wool, paper tape, cord and emergency blanket.​
Other - this year is the first time that I have carried an umbrella, specifically the Telescope Handsfree from EuroSchirm. It works well in light rain and is a great parasol, but it is not a complete solution in wind driven rain. There is enough said about umbrellas that I won't do more than say it was worth the extra weight.​

Accommodation​

There wasn't time to do a lot of research, and I didn't intend to book any more than was absolutely necessary. My experience on the CP in 2022 and again this year was that albergues that cannot be booked, like the Xunta, municipal and some parochial and association albergues, were never full. This might be different on the CF, but I was banking on it being possible to walk most days to an albergue and get a bed without booking. The only difficulty that I foresaw was that the only albergue in Castro-Dozen was closed, and to keep to around 20 km/day, I would have to go through Oseira and have a couple of shorter days.

I ended up booking at Estacion de Lalin and Ponte Ulla, but nowhere else. After Ourense, where there were just two of us in an albergue with 40 bunks, the other Xunta albergues were never full. Indeed, no top bunks were occupied by other than people putting their gear up off the floor. I know that @dick bird and others have been making the observation that the accommodation issues that seem to be affecting the CF are not evident on other routes, and my experience supports that view.

Other Pilgrims​

There was a floating group of about 20 other pilgrims, some of whom I saw several days in a row. Others were walking much longer distances than I was, and I didn't see them again. Cyclists one only saw the once. The ones that I did see passed with plenty of warning and didn't create any alarm for me.

Some pilgrims had used the closure of the albergue at Castro-Dozen as a reason to take a taxi from Oseira. I found that an unusual approach in the last 100 km.

There were others who were walking in groups, with the individuals carrying no more than a water bottle and a sit pad. Clearly pilgrimage takes many forms!

Tools and Apps​

I downloaded tracks from the Centro de Descargas, and loaded them onto my GPS. I purchased the Wise Pilgrim Plata app, and I have OSMAnd+, Gronze and the IGN app loaded on my phone. I tend not to use my phone for navigation, preferring to use my handheld GPS. But that being said, the Plata app was excellent. When I discovered an omission in the Plata app, it was fixed within a couple of hours of letting @wisepilgrim know about it. It was a little unstable on my phone, but that appears to have been addressed as well.

On the walk into the Praza do Obradoiro, I planned to drop my pack at Albergue do Seminario Menor and visit Pilgrim House on my way, so I plotted this out on OSMAand+, not that it was going to be a difficult variation to the route on the Plata app.

I didn't use the Gronze app as much as I thought I might, preferring to go directly to the website in a browser.

And in all of this, the waymarking was excellent, and it would have been possible to just follow that. There were only one or two places where one might have had to be careful, but that could be said of waymarking anywhere.

Some final observations​

This short pilgrimage has demonstrated to me that it is still possible to walk without too much preparation and planning. It seems a shame to me that routes like the CF have become more difficult to undertake. I suspect that the combination of baggage transport and bookings have created an entirely different set of circumstances to that which existed a decade ago. There is probably no going back now, and it is what we will live with. But this short camino has demonstrated to me that it is still possible to walk without booking, and I am still fit enough to carry my own pack, so I expect that I will be thinking of another Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
Really useful, thanks. It’s always good to see how an experienced repeat-Peregrino organises themselves; also to see that it’s not only I who sets out with more than five items in their pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great summary. I have used the same Aarn pack and front balance pockets for all my caminos. I too was a little disappointed in the robustness of the stitching in places and had some minor repairs done prior to my last camino, but they are undoubtedly the best designed pack I've ever used, especially being a bit taller.

Thank you for this. I'm just starting to look at doing an October Camino for 2024, and I'm leaning towards this exact route and starting point. I just walked from Pamplona to Logrono with my daughter. How does the terrain of this part of the Sanabres compare to that stretch of the CF?

Thank you for this. I'm just starting to look at doing an October Camino for 2024, and I'm leaning towards this exact route and starting point. I just walked from Pamplona to Logrono with my daughter. How does the terrain of this part of the Sanabres compare to that stretch of the CF?
That's asking a lot of my memory! My impression is that the Sanabres is is hillier, but the section of the CF you ask about has some places with steeper or longer climbs like the Alto de Perdon. I don't recall enough about the track surfaces from Pamplona to Logrono now to compare these in any reasonable way that might help you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bill, There's really only two small memorable hills on that part of Sanabres worth mentioning; one just after leaving Ourense over the bridge and one if you take the Monastery route after Cea. If you've managed the Alto you'll be grand. The real hilly part of the Sanabres is prior to Ourense.

Hi Bill, There's really only two small memorable hills on that part of Sanabres worth mentioning; one just after leaving Ourense over the bridge and one if you take the Monastery route after Cea. If you've managed the Alto you'll be grand. The real hilly part of the Sanabres is prior to Ourense.
I think this depends on which route you use leaving Ourense. The 'official' route through Tamallancos has a climb of about 400m leaving Ourense, slightly more than the climb to the Alto de Perdon. There is a pretty steady climb of about 200 m on the route into Oseira, and a similar climb leaving Ponte de Ulla.

That's asking a lot of my memory! My impression is that the Sanabres is is hillier, but the section of the CF you ask about has some places with steeper or longer climbs like the Alto de Perdon. I don't recall enough about the track surfaces from Pamplona to Logrono now to compare these in any reasonable way that might help you.
Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think this depends on which route you use leaving Ourense. The 'official' route through Tamallancos has a climb of about 400m leaving Ourense, slightly more than the climb to the Alto de Perdon. There is a pretty steady climb of about 200 m on the route into Oseira, and a similar climb leaving Ponte de Ulla.
Thank you Doug and Bill. I walked with an unloader brace on the CF section that i mentioned. My knee is healing well from a miniscus tear, but the arthritis is here to stay. My ortho doctor tells me that if I continue to show progress I should not need the unloader brace unless the hike is really difficult. Walking this section is a year away so we'll just have to see. But this really helps.

Thanks for the summary @dougfitz

I'm starting to look at the Sanabres from Ourense as a short one to do with Pat my wife.
Looks like quite a bit of road walking (like the Invierno), would you say so?
Pat suffers with Plantar Facia problems so too much road work hurts!
We'd have to keep the days quite short in that case, which looks doable.

Just finished the same walk about a week ago. The route was not crowded by any means. There were a couple of days where I encountered 10 or so people. Generally, just a small cluster in the morning. If I started late, I would often encounter few if any. And it is a very pleasant walk.

Just watched your videos @John Sikora
Very helpful, thanks.
You stayed in some nice places that don't appear to be on Gronze, Buen Camino, or Wise Pilgrim.
What 'app' or guide did you use to locate accommodation? 🙂

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looks like quite a bit of road walking (like the Invierno), would you say so?
@Robo, I would be speculating providing a estimate of the balance between road and off-road, and the road surface where one was on road. I do recall there being quite a lot of unsealed road and quiet roads and only a few short sections along busier major roads. Getting out of Ourense was mainly on footpaths initially, as you might expect from any city or large town, and in most towns I recall footpaths and not having to walk on the road. Outside of towns, when one did walk on roads, I don't ever recall traffic being an issue.

Last edited:
@Robo, I would be speculating providing a estimate of the balance between road and off-road, and the road surface where one was on road. I do recall there being quite a lot of unsealed road and quiet roads and only a few short sections along busier major roads. Getting out of Ourense was mainly on footpaths initially, as you might expect from any city or large town, and in most towns I recall footpaths and not having to walk on the road. Outside of towns, when one did walk on roads, I don't ever recall traffic being an issue.

Taking another look at this route for Pat and I.
@dougfitz , do you have a list of your stages?
I'm finding it hard to keep to 20kms.
15 km stages would be better for Pat as she finds hills hard going.
Research continues..........

Taking another look at this route for Pat and I.
@dougfitz , do you have a list of your stages?
I'm finding it hard to keep to 20kms.
15 km stages would be better for Pat as she finds hills hard going.
Research continues..........
@Robo, I did some short stages, but expect some longer ones too. My stages were:
OurenseCea22.3
CeaOseira8.8
OseiraEstacion de Lalin / Botos23.5
Estacion de Lalin / BotosSilleda15.7
SilledaPonte Ulla20.3
Ponte UllaSantiago21.5

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Robo, I did some short stages, but expect some longer ones too. My stages were:
OurenseCea22.3
CeaOseira8.8
OseiraEstacion de Lalin / Botos23.5
Estacion de Lalin / BotosSilleda15.7
SilledaPonte Ulla20.3
Ponte UllaSantiago21.5
Many thanks, this helps a lot,

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back