• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A shorter stint on Via de la Plata than anticipated

Status
Not open for further replies.

grilly

Via de la Plata, End of Phase I, Sevilla-Merida (September 2011)

Greetings,

If you have a sixth sense, you know that our Camino this year did not go as planned.

Paul and I just returned yesterday from Spain and decided that we will return to the Via de la Plata next year to pick up the Camino where we left it, i.e. Merida (well, Paul really stopped at the next stage, in Aljúcen.)

When I tripped on Sep 11, on the way to Fuente de Cantos, I did not know this fall was signaling an early end to our Camino. Once again, I had not laced my boots to the last hook, leaving the top one free, which gave it the freedom to hook my other shoe's laces and have me fall on my right knee and elbow. As dumb as that.

From Tuesday on, I sensed something was not right. From Wednesday, I fear something was wrong. And from Saturday on, my fear was confirmed. I planned on taking a bus or a taxi to follow Paul till my knee was OK. Our plans suddenly changed. We took a taxi to Alcuescar, then a bus to Caceres and Salamanca. A train and plane from Salamanca to Madrid to Geneva.

Here we are. Soon planning the Phase II of our camino next year. We'll start later in the year. Our pack will be lighter still. We'll get ready for stages of 26-27 ks...

The Camino is wherever we are... I can still feel under my feet the soft dust to which sometimes the Camino treats the soles of our feet. I can still feel the softness of that same dust between my fingers, when I rubbed it that last day on the Camino in Alcuescar. If the Camino wanted to hook me more still, it has succeeded...

Life is good. Thank you for your prayers. You can count on ours as well.

claire

Some information on the VDLP itself which you may not have as of now:

The albergue in Guillena has been refurbished and is now quite nice.

There is a new private albergue in El Real de la Jara, (for about 10-12 pilgrims), right after the municipal albergue. We stayed at Casa Molina, a private home, with a delightful patio, and access to the kitchen.

A new albergue has opened in Monasterio (right in front of Hotel El Pilar). We missed the signs, so ended up in the hotel.

The municipal albergue in Merida was closed for chinches, two or three days after we decided not to stay there, as all the bottom bunks had been taken by cyclists by 1 pm and my knee already did not feel so good.

The albergues in Fuente de Cantos, Zafra, and Torremejía were as great as said. The albergues in Aljúcen and Alcuescar both really special in different ways.

The first week of September was as hot as we had been warned. 38 to 40 degrees. Wow... Everyone was wiped out, young and old, well trained and not so well trained.

The Via de la Plata feels really different from the Camino Francés. Some of the etapas are daunting, not so much for the distance itself as the lack of cafes in-between.

The pilgrims we came across were made up of several French, 1 Dutch, 5 Germans, 1 South African, 2 Austrians, several Spaniards, 1 Italian, and at least one American, my husband :)

To all those on the Camino, may Santiago guide you and take care of you!

¡Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the valuable information 'Some information on the VDLP itself which you may not have as of now'.
As for the shorter stint...every step on the Camino is worth it!
Nic

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Claire,

I am glad you are all in one piece, home safe and sound, and getting the attention you need to get better for your next Vdlp.

On my first Vdlp attempt, I had to stop in Caceres, to my great frustration, sadness, anger, confusion, etc etc. Not nearly as calm, resolute and focused as you. But, like you, I was determined to return, and had a joyous walk two years later. I have no doubt the same will happen to you. Many good wishes for your next camino -- Laurie

Thank you, Tam, Vic, and Laurie.
I feel in an extremely good company. It feels good being with all of you:)

claire

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Claire, although it´s really sad to read that you have to break the journey , but on the other hand you have the chance of going back to Spain again :D :D :D :D . I did the camino francés for the first time this year from León till Muxia. I really enjoyed it and it was one of the best time of my life till now. I´m already planning my next camino VdlP in middle of May next year. I´ve a question, are they enough water places like in camino francés?? I read often that one must carry enough water along. On camino francés it wasn´t a big problem.

When you look at the stages, you will see that you need to carry water. In some cases, you have 27 ks without any place to get water -- or anything else for that matter. May should be a beautiful time, from all that I have heard :) You will love it!

Anniesantiago said:
So sorry, Claire, about your injuries :(

Heal quickly and get back on the Way!

Hug!
Annie

Thank you :) Hopefully, I will finally take care of my body the way I have been promising to do it for the past six years...

:)

claire

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Claire, thanks for the information. 27kms without water than I should be a camel :D :D :D :D
If the weather is too hot I might even need more than 2 litres. I´ll have to take two bottles along if I want to live to reach Santiago without getting dehydrated: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

the water thing is big in those temps
ive seen many debates about camelbak size
on vdlp in spring / summer - NO debate
my deal was:
upon waking drink 1 litre water
3 litres loaded in camelbak
fill up at every opportunity
drink one litre before retiring
sure water weighs a bit but the alt is too ghastly to contemplate
imho

Yes, think water, water, water. I'm here now, where they're having unusual highs in the 80s. But there's no humidity in the air. Since I come from a state where hot always includes humid, it doesn't feel so bad to me. But I've noticed that I get incredibly thirsty in the afternoon if I haven't been drinking enough. And I wouldn't let talk of hyponatremia scare you (taking in so much water that it flushes out too much of your salt). That's quite rare.

Anyway, heal for now. And there's one positive -- you're missing all the bugs out here now. I have to ask a local what these things are, but today was the worst. They're like fly/gnat kinds of things, and hundreds swarm over you as you walk. I've been trying to take photos for my app, and bugs get all over my camera lens the minute I stop! And of course they get in your eyes, up your nose, etc. One stretch was so bad I ran for nearly 2 miles. Don't know if it's an annual September occurrence or what. This has been going on from about Zamora to Puebla de Sanabria, where I am now. But today's stretch from Rionegro del Puente to Puebla de Sanabria was horrid. I didn't think to bring bug spray; not sure if it would help.

Melanie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Melanie, sorry to hear about your problems with the flies and gnats :( :( . Have you tried with sprays? There are special sprays which you can get at chemist or pharmacies for mosquetoes. I´m sure there´ll be something like that for flies and gnats, too. Hope you won´t have these problems as go up north :D :D .Buen camino. Sundra.

I like falcon's idea of a hat that has a net that comes down over your face. These flies and gnats can drive you to distraction!

L

mmm042 said:
Anyway, heal for now. And there's one positive -- you're missing all the bugs out here now. I have to ask a local what these things are, but today was the worst. They're like fly/gnat kinds of things, and hundreds swarm over you as you walk. I've been trying to take photos for my app, and bugs get all over my camera lens the minute I stop! And of course they get in your eyes, up your nose, etc. One stretch was so bad I ran for nearly 2 miles. Don't know if it's an annual September occurrence or what. This has been going on from about Zamora to Puebla de Sanabria, where I am now. But today's stretch from Rionegro del Puente to Puebla de Sanabria was horrid. I didn't think to bring bug spray; not sure if it would help.

Melanie

Hello, Melanie,

I have been thinking of you ever since I read your post and have been wondering how the bugs are treating you these days. I have no advice to give really. I just hope the bugs have moved on and you can now enjoy the VDLP bug-free :)

Buen Camino, claire

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
the water thing is big in those temps
ive seen many debates about camelbak size
on vdlp in spring / summer - NO debate
my deal was:
upon waking drink 1 litre water
3 litres loaded in camelbak
fill up at every opportunity
drink one litre before retiring
sure water weighs a bit but the alt is too ghastly to contemplate
imho
I carry a small pack of electrolyte tablets and generally will add one every day if excessively sweating. Where i live in Australia with high humidity sweating and loss of body salts is common and this is an effective solution. If it is hot and you are not sweating look out!! Headache and nausea are signs of dehydration and you must rehydrate before more walking in heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back