• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A slightly different pilgrimage but a lot of Francigena...

Birdielein

Time of past OR future Camino
Truncated Camino Frances Sept 2014 (250 kms)
Camino Portuguese (?) March 2015
Not a Camino but 450kms of the WWI western front Sept TBD
Hi everyone!

I have posted a little before of my WWI trek, and I thought I would put up a little update, and a link to my blog. A big chunk of where I am walking is on the Via Francigena route, so if anyone has a little advice or comments, or wants to read up on my prep, or adventures, please feel free to check out my blog, war walks for health! For the 2014 centenary of World War One, I am planning to walk the entire western from Pont a Mousson, France to Ostend, Belgium. For me, it is a pilgrimage. I know so much about World War One- I am a military historian, but I want to feel the enormity of it. I want to do this a s a tribute to all the men who died I have been talking a little about gear, and getting ready and etc on this blog, and writing of my experiences. Also... trekking clothing for plus sized women. MUCH harder to acquire than one would think!

I also want to do it as I am a rather large woman, and people have told me it isn’t really feasible. Or they tell me to drive it. I am sure this is pretty common for Camino trekkers as well. The 'OH MAI GAWD! YOU ARE CRAZZZZZZZZZZY!' Just take the train! All that nonsense. I would love the support of fellow walkers, because- one month out- I am having those moments of... Maybe they are right, and what the hell, man! What am I signing myself up for! Kindled with a LOT of nervous excitement.

My dates are Sept 1-30th for the 500kms. I am staying in hotels and B&Bs, making it a pretty $$$ trek. As I have mentioned before, there are no cheap digs on this route that I can find. I am also not a camping sort of girl. I have rented a hikers hut in one place, because the hotels were prohibitively $$$, and a night in a caravan in a camp ground in another as there was nothing else. The whole tent on the side of the road is just not my speed- partially for security. I am a woman on her own, so better pay a little extra than tempt fate.
screen-shot-2014-02-12-at-15-13-46.png

So I hope you don't mind this post! I really just want to share my excitement!

Birdie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It sounds interesting, and quite a reasonable challenge to try - 500 km in 30 days - but even a portion of that will be fascinating. Will you be blogging?
Best wishes!
Clare

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be! Check out my blog! :) I will have 3g on my ipad so I can be sure to be connected!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back