• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A slightly different question on getting a suitcase from Lisbon to Santiago

Janet Pengelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino Portuguese (2018)
We are planning on our first Camino this spring, but plan on going on a cruise once we finish, so we need a few more clothes than I would like to carry on my back! We arrive in Lisbon on a Saturday morning, and the post-office is closed until Monday. Since we have a limited time, waiting two days until we can mail it would really push our timeline.

Does anyone know of a service (or an individual) that would meet us and then ship our suitcase to Ivar in Santiago? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Janet and Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Janet and Mike,
Welcome to the forum! I think that if money is no object your hotel in Lisbon will be able to take care of that for you, but you probably should check with them before arriving. I know there have been issues about the Portuguese mail service (I'm assuming from the title of your thread you have read those threads), so maybe a delivery carrier like UPS, FedEx or DHL would be better. You could probably even get that straightened out yourselves in Lisbon that Saturday. Bom caminho! Laurie

so maybe a delivery carrier like UPS, FedEx or DHL would be better. You could probably even get that straightened out yourselves in Lisbon that Saturday. Bom caminho! Laurie

Thanks, Laurie. We aren't going to be in a hotel in Lisbon. We had hoped to start walking on Saturday. We are actually arriving at the cruise ship terminal directly across the street from the metro stop Santa Apolonia on Saturday morning, after taking an inexpensive transatlantic cruise.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you - looking at the price, we may just try to find a second-had store and buy clothes when we get to Santiago!!!

Hi, or one of you takes the suitcase by bus or train to Santiago, overnights, and returns to Lisbon next day!
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would expect that a 25 pound suitcase will cost hundreds of dollars to ship.

If you are serious about a second hand clothing store, I remember seeing one when walking through the old town last year. That glorious search engine google found it right away for me. It's called Naftalina and is located at Rua Algalia de Arriba, 13. That's very close to one of my favorite place to eat padrón peppers in Santiago, the Bodeguilla de San Roque. Good hearty food in this place, nothing fancy but good quality.

Do people who have used bla bla car think this might be a possibility?

Good luck with this.

You might try posting your question on the Camino Portuguese board.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please don't ship anything you are unwilling to lose. The Portuguese postal service lost our package to Ivar and have been less than cooperative in reimbursing us for it.

parcelmonkey are a secondary seller and have a reputation for enthusiastic pricing and un-enthusistic service. You could fly Lisbon to Santiago & back for less than they're quoting. Half-an-hour on google will likely find you a service provider that will come in under €50.

If your post camino cruise departs from Lisbon try the luggage lockers at the railway station. If you really need that suitcase in Santiago you could probably baggage-transfer it all the way - just to add to the fun ;)

If your post camino cruise departs from Lisbon try the luggage lockers at the railway station. If you really need that suitcase in Santiago you could probably baggage-transfer it all the way - just to add to the fun ;)

You are right - parcelmonkey was nearly $500USD for a 20lb package. The cruise we are looking at goes out of Southampton, so we need to get there from Santiago. Haven't found anybody to transfer it - have emailed 3-4 different places, but none of them are interested. We may pack a flat box and go to the airport PO on Saturday when we arrive, and then buy a suitcase in Santiago. Still trying to work out logistics.... Thanks for your help!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If your post camino cruise departs from Lisbon try the luggage lockers at the railway station.

I believe that would be one of the best options... I did that for my first camino. Left my luggae in a 'Consigna" (rented locker) in Madrid, then after the camino I went back there and relaxed for a week in the city with clean and fashionable clothes :)
Lisbon would have the same services. Look for "Depósito de Bagagem" ou "Guarda-Volumes". The one in Lisbon airport charges from 3 to 10 euros per day, depending on the weight of the suitcase: https://www.ana.pt/pt/lis/servicos-e-compras/servicos-essenciais/servicos-de-bagagem

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back