• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A small observation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, the hill from sjpdp to orisson is a bit of a wake up call for the legs....

I think we all get that feeling first day out. It does get easier ..... eventually.
Glad to hear that after all your prep your Camino has finally started.
BC

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking forward to following along, Cheers

You'll get really proficient at the Pilgrim Shuffle the next couple of weeks, trust me. It's the easiest tell in the "Spot the Pilgrim" game.

So you still have the summit before descending to Roncesvalles, then the descent to Zubiri, then how to avoid the muck and debris after the recent floods. After a well deserved rest day in Pamplona; there is the climb up and down from Alto Perdon. At that point you have passed the test of the first week on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Somebody really should warn young, fresh faced perigrinos about this ;)
My very first taste of the Camino was in 2011, I was newbie with a school kid's book pack attached to a larger than life sleeping bag. No guide book, no research, no shell, wearing Levi jeans and no idea where I was going other than a desire to get as far as Logrono. My first day was SJPdP to Roncevalles. I was ready to give up about 6:30am on that first "little" climb on the paved road out of SJPdP but I managed to arrive in Roncevalles about dusk and had become hooked for life on the CaminoDSC00234.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Practiced on the Southern Alps in ÑZ in Feb and on the Le Puy camino in April ready to tackle the hill in 2 weeks time

ummm ... yep, Roncevalles is the second wakeup call, in two weeks or less you'll be in Camino shape ...hang in there it gets better. Buen Camino :) btw, we're from Florida and there are not even mounds to train on...lol

The first week is kind of a wake up call - nothing quite as steep as what you just did, but the guidebooks don't exactly do justice to some of the nice climbs and especially joyful footing on those climbs. Descending can be a bit of a chore also - Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ummm ... yep, Roncevalles is the second wakeup call, in two weeks or less you'll be in Camino shape ...hang in there it gets better. Buen Camino :) btw, we're from Florida and there are not even mounds to train on...lol

I love the fact that Space Mountain at Disneyworld is the highest mountain in Florida, it's crazy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did ya not find the escalator???

BTW, Andy, look over the instructions received with your credenciel. It tells of taking the RIGHT PATH on the descent starting at Col de Leopeder, down to Roncesvalles and should include a couple of pictures. As much as the first day uses the back of your legs, the descent will kill the fronts. By no means should you follow the signpost at the top of the slope that points to the left. It is slippery, extremely steep and pocked with sharp rocks, and that is in good weather.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So you still have the summit before descending to Roncesvalles, then the descent to Zubiri, then how to avoid the muck and debris after the recent floods. After a well deserved rest day in Pamplona; there is the climb up and down from Alto Perdon. At that point you have passed the test of the first week on the Camino.

Piece of cake, or to be Camino appropriate, Tarta de Santiago, the breakfast of champions.

My very first taste of the Camino was in 2011, I was newbie with a school kid's book pack attached to a larger than life sleeping bag. No guide book, no research, no shell, wearing Levi jeans and no idea where I was going other than a desire to get as far as Logrono. My first day was SJPdP to Roncevalles. I was ready to give up about 6:30am on that first "little" climb on the paved road out of SJPdP but I managed to arrive in Roncevalles about dusk and had become hooked for life on the Camino

And I thought I was unprepared.

Thanks guys for the ridicule.

You're welcome :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Practiced on the Southern Alps in NZ

@Jim_Hyde , my favourite is Kaitoke Shelter (230 m asl) to Alpha Hut (1,100 m asl) in the southern Tararua's. About 7 hours up and 6 down.

Or try Otaki Forks (100 m asl) to Kime Hut (1,400 m asl) just below Mt Hector (1,528 m asl) in the central Tararua's. About 5 hours up and 4 down.

And no tar seal or other paving in sight

Last edited:
That has been my experience too! At least some things improve with age (besides cheese and wine) ;)

LOL, I was the elder on the NORTE this March at age 60....felt good to leave the 25 year olds huffing and puffing on the long climbs. Best part was after Luarca a bunch of rowdy 20-30 year olds showed up (we nicknamed hem the party pack) and I let them move ahead of me as they were very unpilgrim-like in the albergues. Later on when they already had 2 days on me I walked into the monastery at Sobrado de Monxes an hour after they had arrived.....they couldn't believe that the old lady had caught up, LOL my best day on the camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You make it sound like such fun. Thanks for that!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah I remember my first time well, there's an old stone wall on the left hand side with sweet smelling honeysuckle cascading over it.

I looked upwards, choked back a tear and thought "I'll never be able to do THAT!"

It's about 400m from the river crossing . . . .

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back