A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

A small project

Camino(s) past & future
Ponferrada - Santiago (2013)
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Lugo to Finisterre (2017)
Porto Coastal (2019)
I made two of these waymarkers for my Camino Amigos. The distance on them is the distance from their house to St James's Cathedral. Just to keep our interest going until our Camino next September 2021. God willing.

Attachments

Tali

3-time Perigrina
Camino(s) past & future
2015 - CF (SJPP to SdC)
2017 - CF (Leon to SdC)
2018 - C Engles & CF (Sarria to SdC)
Gerard, when you say you made thEm, do you mean you created them with your own hands or had them made by a crafts person? If a crafts person, where did you start to find someone who could/would create them?

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
They can't be authentic - there is no "official" graffiti on them!
You really made me smile!

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Porto Coastal (2019)
not sure where you are @GerardMurdoch, but that’d be some Camino!

BuenCamino - when the time comes
Just a tad too far, I live in Renfrewshire Scotland, it would have to be a long weekend !!!!!

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Porto Coastal (2019)
Gerard, when you say you made thEm, do you mean you created them with your own hands or had them made by a crafts person? If a crafts person, where did you start to find someone who could/would create them?
It is not really that difficult. I made up plywood shuttering for the mould, with two pieces of plywood inside to create the recess for the tile and distance sign. Originally I was going to concrete them, then decided to use expanding foam. It gives it a nice rough texture. Finally, the easy bit....spray it with concrete paint.

Tali

3-time Perigrina
Camino(s) past & future
2015 - CF (SJPP to SdC)
2017 - CF (Leon to SdC)
2018 - C Engles & CF (Sarria to SdC)
It is not really that difficult. I made up plywood shuttering for the mould, with two pieces of plywood inside to create the recess for the tile and distance sign. Originally I was going to concrete them, then decided to use expanding foam. It gives it a nice rough texture. Finally, the easy bit....spray it with concrete paint.
Cool. I think I’ll try it. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Porto Coastal (2019)
Where did you get the tiles?
I bought these from the tourist shops in Santiago, last year. I have no idea if they will survive the cold winter, they may crack. Maybe you can buy frost proof ones.

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I have no idea if tthe tiles] will survive the cold winter, they may crack. Maybe you can buy frost proof ones.
I'm thinking that if the adhesive can stretch some and if the tiles are not set too closely to the stone then heat and cold should not cause cracking. I may be wrong but if you pay attention to those details then you should have a better chance of the tiles surviving. With the mojón made from foam instead of concrete then you stand an even greater chance of summer heat expansion causing cracking. For winter care you want even adhesion all around the tile so water can't get behind the tile, freeze and crack the tile.

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Porto Coastal (2019)
Good advice, thank you. Winter should be just around the corner here in Scotland.☃
We will see what happens.

Mycroft

Um, what? You mean that white/yellow goop that spews out of the can? How many cans did it take? How did you keep the expansion in check? Did you have to coat the mold with anything so it didn't adhere to the foam? I've never heard of concrete paint. It comes in a spray can?

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Porto Coastal (2019)
Um, what? You mean that white/yellow goop that spews out of the can? How many cans did it take? How did you keep the expansion in check? Did you have to coat the mold with anything so it didn't adhere to the foam? I've never heard of concrete paint. It comes in a spray can?
The tins go a long way. I did grease the inside shuttering as expanding foam is a good adhesive. I was really surprised as you.............concrete spray paint ! yes it does exist.

hecate105

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
1600105736693.png
Here's one we made on our return...the granite post was already by our driveway - so it was easy enough (!!!) for my husband to drill a flat area for the plaque which I had done in the local 'key' shop - and the shell I found in a charity shop!
It still makes me smile every time I walk up the lane....and we have had the odd pilgrim who has seen it and understood!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
ivar Announcements 39

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock