• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Soldiers Camino – Post Activity Report

RefugeInsomniac

Time of past OR future Camino
Good day; some forum members may recall me on this forum as DavidsRetired, but I removed myself several months back for personal reasons; essentially minimising my online activity.

Regardless, I had mentioned in 2015, 16 that I was developing a Camino walk for soldiers, and several members of this forum were interested and indeed supported and followed my initiative from start to finish; which I greatly appreciate. Additionally, I had met a number of interested pilgrims during my 2015 walk in support of this undertaking and during the actual conduct in April/May of this year.

One of the primary talking points was on the outcome of this initiative, while others were interested in developing similar projects and looking for lessons learned. During the development stages of this project, I had decided that a Post Activity Report would be instrumental in its long-term success. The goal was for a full-time charity organisation to adopt this project as their own and offer it to those soldiers who may benefit from this type of activity.

Which brings me to the point of re-joining this forum and this post, especially as many members of this forum provided their support for this project.

I am in the final stages of drafting the report and am hoping to have it posted on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RoyalCamino) in the very near future, for those interested.

The final report will be distributed to key players in the Canadian Forces, Veterans Affairs and those organisations currently supporting veterans within Canada. Additionally, several militaries have asked for a copy of the report, including the Spanish Military Attaché to Washington and Ottawa. I am currently seeking to expand the distribution list and, hopeful to include Chaplain Branches throughout several militaries. If anyone has suggestions (and email addresses) where I can send a PDF version, I will be happy to send a copy directly.

Again, thank you for your support over the years.

Cheers,
Dave

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good day; some forum members may recall me on this forum as DavidsRetired, but I removed myself several months back for personal reasons; essentially minimising my online activity.

Regardless, I had mentioned in 2015, 16 that I was developing a Camino walk for soldiers, and several members of this forum were interested and indeed supported and followed my initiative from start to finish; which I greatly appreciate. Additionally, I had met a number of interested pilgrims during my 2015 walk in support of this undertaking and during the actual conduct in April/May of this year.

One of the primary talking points was on the outcome of this initiative, while others were interested in developing similar projects and looking for lessons learned. During the development stages of this project, I had decided that a Post Activity Report would be instrumental in its long-term success. The goal was for a full-time charity organisation to adopt this project as their own and offer it to those soldiers who may benefit from this type of activity.

Which brings me to the point of re-joining this forum and this post, especially as many members of this forum provided their support for this project.

I am in the final stages of drafting the report and am hoping to have it posted on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RoyalCamino) in the very near future, for those interested.

The final report will be distributed to key players in the Canadian Forces, Veterans Affairs and those organisations currently supporting veterans within Canada. Additionally, several militaries have asked for a copy of the report, including the Spanish Military Attaché to Washington and Ottawa. I am currently seeking to expand the distribution list and, hopeful to include Chaplain Branches throughout several militaries. If anyone has suggestions (and email addresses) where I can send a PDF version, I will be happy to send a copy directly.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi, Dave, so very good to hear from you again. I would love to read the report of your actual camino with the veterans. I vaguely remember that you were debating between having the participants walk in a loose group and encouraging them to walk alone. Based on what you report, I am assuming that it was a success and you must feel like all that work was well worth it.

Wishing you the most success possible with your follow-up attempt to find a permanent home and source of funding for this amazing project.

My university has a well funded Institute for student veterans. I know they have a number of extracurricular projects. If you would like to make contact with a US group, this center may be appropriate. I can help set up a channel of communication if you think there would be any point: http://woundedvetcenter.ahs.illinois.edu

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My university has a well funded Institute for student veterans. I know they have a number of extracurricular projects. If you would like to make contact with a US group, this center may be appropriate. I can help set up a channel of communication if you think there would be any point: http://woundedvetcenter.ahs.illinois.edu

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie; that would be fantastic! Once the report is finalised, I’ll post a PDF copy in this thread and/or a link to our Facebook page where it can be downloaded; feel free to distribute as you deem appropriate. My email will be in the report for those wishing to contact me or my partner directly.

Dave
I remember talking to you in Leon, you must be very proud of your achievement. I would also love to read your final report.

Yes, I remember you well! We were sitting with Shelley Houghton (NZ), who is currently walking the Coast to Coast Walk in the UK – Day 14 I believe. Hope all is well? Take care!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave!

This was a very interesting read. As a Veteran (20 years of service including 3 tours in Bosnia and 2 in Kosovo)- i was actually thinking similar taughts myself during my Camino this summer. I'm Attached to the Norwegian Veteran Association (NVIO) as well- and have good contacts there.
I think it would be a very good idea to arrange such a trip - with veterans (and others) - and my target group was those with a PTSD diagnosis.

Best
Håvard

Hi Dave!

This was a very interesting read. As a Veteran (20 years of service including 3 tours in Bosnia and 2 in Kosovo)- i was actually thinking similar taughts myself during my Camino this summer. I'm Attached to the Norwegian Veteran Association (NVIO) as well- and have good contacts there.
I think it would be a very good idea to arrange such a trip - with veterans (and others) - and my target group was those with a PTSD diagnosis.

Best
Håvard

Hi Håvard; it’s a worthwhile endeavour, but certainly not without its stressors. Nonetheless, the outcome was positive. If interested, read the end-report once completed and posted and feel free to contact either my partner or I, if you have any additional questions.

As a side note; in 1977, 78, I took part in several exercises in Norway, which I enjoyed immensely. Spent most of my time in and around Narvik, Bardufoss, Tromsø areas. In the early 90s, I was on the Herc which flew into Oslo, and brought back 3 of the engines from a Canadian WW 2 Halifax Bomber, shot down during the war, and has since been restored. Some great memories!

Take care!

The Post Royal Camino Activity Report is now complete and available for widest dissemination.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/…/ROYAL%20CAMINO%20PAR%20Final.pd…

We encourage all those who may be interested and/or know of others who are developing similar initiatives to review our report and indeed pass along to those individuals or organisations who may benefit or help directly.

It is our hope to see the Royal Camino Initiative adopted by a supporting agency, who can develop and provided this opportunity to others who may benefit the most from such an experience.

This available report and associated files are open and without personal data and can, therefore, be distributed freely.

Those seeking further information can contact the developers and authors of this project and report directly; contact information within the signature block.

Note: Have attached the report directly and will attach some of our supporting files in a new post below.

Attachments

• ROYAL CAMINO PAR Final.pdf
    796.4 KB · Views: 11
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Royal Camino Supporting Files, which we developed and used during the initiative.

Attachments

• 001 - Royal Camino Budget Example.pdf
    158.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 002 - Royal Camino Personnel Expense Manager.pdf
    607.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 003 - Royal Camino Application Package.pdf
    468.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 004 - Royal Camino Physicians Declaration.pdf
    327.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 005 - Royal Camino Individual Information Package.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 006 - Royal Camino PTSD Checklist.pdf
    246.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 007 - Royal Camino Depression Anxiety Questionnaire.pdf
    405 KB · Views: 0
  • 008 - Royal Camino Post Camino Feedback.pdf
    171 KB · Views: 0
  • 0011 - Royal Camino Financial Overview and Guide.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0012 - Royal Camino Thoughts on Preparations.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 1

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back