• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Spanish Conversational Thread

peregrina2000

Staff member
In a recent thread, @witsendwv asked: Can we have a thread where we practice speaking (typing) Spanish (Castellano)? I'd participate!!

So here goes — a thread where Spanish learners can communicate with each other in Spanish and practice practice practice.

If you want to participate, start a conversation on this thread and see who responds. For now, we’ll leave it on this thread, but if interest is great, we could start a separate sub-forum.

Regular forum rules apply, with an obvious exception for our “English only please” rule.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
¡Qué genial! Es una buen idea.
Hola de Carrión de los Condes, hoy es el día de la hispanidad. Acabo de comer un almuerzo rico.... Sopa castellana y carrilleras de cerdo en vino tinto.... Con una jarra de vino tinto. 😊
Pero bueno, ahora necesito un descanso.... Y una ducha!
Cuando llegué, tuve mucho hambre y siempre me pone nerviosa cuando es un domingo o un festivo... Pero ahora, todo bien!

Last edited:
Entonces, de que hablamos? Podemos describir nuestras comidas o cenas favoritas del camino.. Porque? De donde? Y con quien lo has comido?

Pa mi probablemente son los empanadas de Galicia, la comida "fast food" de peregrinos y obradores y estudientes. Las laminas de pan son rellenadas con cosas variadas -- atun, queso y cecina, pato y pasas, etc... pero mi favorito es lo de zamburinas! Con una copa de vino blanco, estoy imparable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino @SioCamino
@Rebekah Scott Me encanta cafe con leche de Espana
Me gusto mucho aprender hablar espanole. Yo hablo un poco. Yo aprendo hablar espanole con Duolingo (despacio).
Muchos gracias Laurie
PS is there a way to add accents?
If typing on a smart phone, usually if you keep your finger on the particular letter, the accented versions appear as a choice.... Of course the cheat's way (my way!!) is to add castellano as a language and then the autopredict/autocorrect will suggest the correct spelling with accents !

Me gusto mucho aprender hablar espanole
No sé si los que participan en esta conversación quieren que alguien les corrija los errores gramaticales.

“Me gusto” means I like myself. In Spanish it’s the thing that you like that is pleasing you. So in this case the subject of the sentence would be “aprender hablar español” which is singular.

Me gusta aprender A hablar español.

pero mi favorito es lo de zamburinas!

Me gustan las zamburiñas. Mejor dicho, me encantan las zamburiñas. (see how gustar changes to plural when the thing that you like is in the plural?).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In a recent thread, @witsendwv asked: Can we have a thread where we practice speaking (typing) Spanish (Castellano)? I'd participate!!

So here goes — a thread where Spanish learners can communicate with each other in Spanish and practice practice practice.

If you want to participate, start a conversation on this thread and see who responds. For now, we’ll leave it on this thread, but if interest is great, we could start a separate sub-forum.

Regular forum rules apply, with an obvious exception for our “English only please” rule.

Buen camino, Laurie
¡Bravo Laurie, tremenda idea! Soy completamente bilingüe (castellano e inglés). Aprendí ambos lenguajes simultáneamente en escuela; aunque el castellano es el que más uso. Soy natural del área del Caribe y actualmente vivo en el sur de la Florida. Si alguien necesita ayuda, estoy disponible.

Iván

Más favorito par comer en camino? Esta difícil pero los pimientos de Padron son uno de mi. Porqué? Esta como un juego de comer. Cual sera picante? Cual sera dolce? Tenemos suficiente cervezas de Galicia por calmer los más picantes?

Más favorito par comer en camino? Esta difícil pero los pimientos de Padron son uno de mi. Porqué? Esta como un juego de comer. Cual sera picante? Cual sera dolce? Tenemos suficiente cervezas de Galicia por calmer los más picantes?
Tienes razón, Faye. Los pimientos Padrón, son un plato sorpresa, nunca sabes cual será picante o dulce (dolce is Italian for sweet) 😄.

A mi me gustan las tortillas de patatas con chorizo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Entonces, de que hablamos? Podemos describir nuestras comidas o cenas favoritas del camino.. Porque? De donde? Y con quien lo has comido?

Pa mi probablemente son los empanadas de Galicia, la comida "fast food" de peregrinos y obradores y estudientes. Las laminas de pan son rellenadas con cosas variadas -- atun, queso y cecina, pato y pasas, etc... pero mi favorito es lo de zamburinas! Con una copa de vino blanco, estoy imparable.
Brilliant Rebekah! But for a beginner it seems a little too long and hard to understand.
I’ve to place it on Google for translation. Many thanks though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If typing on a smart phone, usually if you keep your finger on the particular letter, the accented versions appear as a choice.... Of course the cheat's way (my way!!) is to add castellano as a language and then the autopredict/autocorrect will suggest the correct spelling with accents !
I'm looking at my phone and the only option is Espanol (Estados Unidos). Is this the same as Castellano?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No sé si los que participan en esta conversación quieren que alguien les corrija los errores gramaticales.

“Me gusto” means I like myself. In Spanish it’s the thing that you like that is pleasing you. So in this case the subject of the sentence would be “aprender hablar español” which is singular.

Me gusta aprender A hablar español.

Me gustan las zamburiñas. Mejor dicho, me encantan las zamburiñas. (see how gustar changes to plural when the thing that you like is in the plural?).
Gracias
I really struggle with languages.
Yo quisiero hablar espanol un poco.
Yo quiero comunicar un poco.
Lo intento pero esta dificil.

Sorry about the lack of accents I haven't set Castilian on my laptop yet!

Buen camino, Laurie
Iré a madrid en marzo de 2022 pero no sé qué ruta elegir, la ruta de lebaniego castellano parece interesante. ¿Alguien ha caminado desde Palencia?

Buen camino, Laurie
Sorry, my first reply ought to have been to say thank you for the thread, Laurie. It is clearly eliciting a lot of interest. While I understand and can get by well enough, my ortografia is a disaster, so I will be looking more than writing! 😁

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Podemos describir nuestras comidas o cenas favoritas del camino.. Porque? De donde? Y con quien lo has comido?
Oooooo. Es dificil.
Pero una cena en Siguëro (Camino Ingles) con @SYates...excelente!
Verduras, verduras y más verduras.
A la parrilla.
Perfecto.

Si, si! Siempre.

Edited to add - sorry English! 😳 I am very grateful for the translate button on my browser that can translate a highlighted word or phrase. It feels like cheating on a crossword puzzle, but you have to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Voy a caminar el camino Português en mayo. Estoy un poco preocupado porque tengo Celiac. No puedo comer nada con harina de trigo. Cuando veo muchos vlogs, casi siempre mostran comida que es casi cien por ciento pan o pasta. No puedo comer estas comidas. También prefiero no comer carne. ¿Sugestiónes?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm looking at my phone and the only option is Espanol (Estados Unidos). Is this the same as Castellano?
Si, español de Estados Unidos es lo mismo.

Spanish per se, is Castellano because it has its origins in Castille; the place of the home place of the Catholic kings, Isabel and Fernando. As they united the country after the moors; so the language adopted for the country was the Castillian and since it comes from Spain, the language is popularly known as Spanish. So, properly, all languages spoken in Spain (Gallego, Catalán, Bazque, etc) are Spanish too. But, as said before, Castilian as is the one associated to the country and as such know as Spanish. Also, the language brought by the Spanish to the America was the Castellano.

Hope this helps.

Gracias
I really struggle with languages.
Yo quisiero hablar espanol un poco.
Yo quiero comunicar un poco.
Lo intento pero esta dificil.

Sorry about the lack of accents I haven't set Castilian on my laptop yet!
That’s great! Muy bien, con más práctica, perderás el miedo y lo harás con más fluidez. Continúa la práctica.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you're on a Mac, you can create an accent by pressing ALT and "E" at the same time. That gives you the tilde (accent mark) that goes over vowels. If you press ALT and "N" you'll get the ñ.

You'll need to press ALT and E, then type in the letter that you want accented. Then push the space bar and it will be done. For ñ, press ALT and N, then type "n", then the space bar.

If you want to type Barça, also do ALT and C, then "c", then space bar.

On a Mac, to type the € symbol, press ALT + SHIFT + 2.

Voy a caminar el camino Português en mayo. Estoy un poco preocupado porque tengo Celiac. No puedo comer nada con harina de trigo. Cuando veo muchos vlogs, casi siempre mostran comida que es casi cien por ciento pan o pasta. No puedo comer estas comidas. También prefiero no comer carne. ¿Sugestiónes?

Tampoco no puedo comer trigo ni gluten! Pero puedo comer arroz, patatas, tortilla española, ensaladas, huevos, y quesos :). En los restaurantes, les digo que no como gluten, y normalmente tienen opciones como arroz o patatas. Y si estoy en Santiago, como en McDonald's! Tienen bastantes cosas sin gluten :).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yo no como carne. Yo como merluza con patatas fritas o arroz para el menú peregrino. Me gusta mucho a comer merluza.

Last edited:

¿Qué es una zamburina?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No quiero insultar a nadie, pero nunca he entendido muy bien por qué la gente está tan entusiasta sobre la cocina española. Me imagino porque soy vegetariana. Claro, tortilla española no es nada asquerosa, pero me parece bastante aburrida. Y me gustan los pimientos de padrón de mi propia huerta, pero es un plato muy simple: es freírlos en una sartén y añadir sal. Qué más hay para los vegetarianos? Espárragos con mayonesa, patatas con salsas, pan... No lo sé...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No quiero insultar a nadie, pero nunca he entendido muy bien por qué la gente está tan entusiasta sobre la cocina española. Me imagino porque soy vegetariana. Claro, tortilla española no es nada asquerosa, pero me parece bastante aburrida. Y me gustan los pimientos de padrón de mi propia huerta, pero es un plato muy simple: es freírlos en una sartén y añadir sal. Qué más hay para los vegetarianos? Espárragos con mayonesa, patatas con salsas, pan... No lo sé...
Caldo verde/caldo de Galicia? sin jamón!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
¿Qué es una zamburina?
Ohh, vieiras.
Vieiras y zamburiñas no son lo mismo. Las zamburiñas son más pequeñas y mucho más dulces y tienen como un pequeño “rabo” que nunca he visto en las vieiras.

Cuando estés en Galicia, si te gusta el marisco, prueba las zamburiñas. En varios lugares, las he comido con una salsa delicada de perejil y ajo, y fue fenomenal.

Si hay una, si hablamos de restaurante de ''Fast Food'' podemos decir: chatara. Chatara es la traduccion de junk
Fast food = comida rápida

Junk food = comida chatarra

Ejemplo de uso de las frases:

En los restaurantes de comida rápida, usualmente sirven comida chatarra. (Fast food restaurants, usually serve junk food).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Une de mes estudiantes es desde Portugal, y su nombre es "Vieira" pero ella no había sabido que su nombre significa "scallop". Ella era una bebe cuando su familia se fue, y ella sabio solo que el nombre esta lo de su tía "Vieira". Ahora, ella quiere seguir el camino costero en Portugal. Esta bien, no?

Vieiras y zamburiñas no son lo mismo. Las zamburiñas son más pequeñas y mucho más dulces y tienen como un pequeño “rabo” que nunca he visto en las vieiras.

Cuando estés en Galicia, si te gusta el marisco, prueba las zamburiñas. En varios lugares, las he comido con una salsa delicada de perejil y ajo, y fue fenomenal.

Une de mes estudiantes es desde Portugal, y su nombre es "Vieira" pero ella no había sabido que su nombre significa "scallop". Ella era una bebe cuando su familia se fue, y ella sabio solo que el nombre esta lo de su tía "Vieira". Ahora, ella quiere seguir el camino costero en Portugal. Esta bien, no?
¡Qué coincidencia! Y además, tener el deseo de hacer Camino Portugués de la costa. Eso es fabuloso.

Yo no come ni carne oí hake. Que es vosotros más favoritos platos vegetarianos et donde vosotros comed?

€83,-

€149,-
Yes, as long as they are not mean or arrogant, and they are, themselves, *correct*. :)
El Castilliano es solo ( solo es ? ) el cuarto idioma ( I remember that odd one out because I would have thought ending on A that idioma would be feminine ) que yo aprendi.
Por eso es dificil cambiar entre los idiomas porque Neerlandes y Ingles son idiomas germanicos pero Castilliano y Frances son romanicos.
Hehe..." mental switch".

Can you cite such research? (Tengo mas curiosidad, que desacuerdo.)
The short answer is, no.

I am in the process of learning Spanish (as many others are). Last week I read something along the lines that I posted but I have not been able to find it again and so I can not cite it.

While looking for it I discovered what professional language teachers already know, that there are differences between language acquisition pre and post puberty and there are lots of different models of language acquisition for adults both formal and informal.

I guess that what ever feedback people want to provide is okay, provided it is respectful.

€149,-
Mi conocimiento anecdótico de la adquisición del lenguaje es todo antes de la pubertad y todo antes de los seis años en términos de adquisición de un segundo y tercer idioma. Dado que ya no soy pre-púber y sospecho que la mayoría de las personas en este hilo también son post-púberes, mi conocimiento anecdótico es de poca relevancia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do we want others to correct our grammar/spelling, etc.?
Sí, por favor, pero sobre todo hay que corregir los errores típicos o interesantes. Por ejemplo cuando @SabineP señala que se dice un idioma y no una idioma (es una palabra griega, lo mismo que un problema).

Veo que los hispanohablantes participan. ¡Bueno! Escriben con frases claras y cortas; no demasiado complicadas. Gracias, @Ivan_Prada y otros (y vosotros? That's what my gut feeling says ☺️)

Confession:
I'm both ambitious and lazy and not fluent enough in Spanish to just write without much thinking. So I've used Deepl and then tweeked both my original text and the Spanish text produced by Deepl repeatedly until it looked 'right' to me. I even sometimes switch my original text to one of the other languages I know to force the machine to translate it into better Spanish. I must try to hear more spoken Spanish but this thread is a great idea. ☺️

I read something along the lines that I posted but I have not been able to find it again and so I can not cite it.
Hace mucho tiempo, cuando leí sobre la adquisición del lenguaje de los niños que crecen como niños bilingües, aprendí lo siguiente: no hay que corregir ni señalar ningún error, sólo hay que repetir la frase de forma correcta modificada, como parte de una conversación natural y sin darle importancia.

But as you said, adult learners benefit from learning rules about a foreign language that a native speaker may not even be aware of.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You must also speak French? Dijiste "une de mes" en vez de una de mis. Y hay uno o dos errores más. Pero, entendí tu mensaje. 😊
Sí, el francés es mi segundo idioma, y mi sistema informático automáticamente corrige cosas como "uno" a "une" "mas" a "mes" ... Pero mon francés hace que sea bastante fácil aprender español (y para leer catalán y portugués creo que no tengo oídos para eso).

Me fui a las diez o asi a dar una vuelta por Pamplona. Baje al rio, y andaba tranquilamente. Subi la colina por donde corren los toros. Alli arriba noté por primera vez el Mercado antiguo. Conozco bien el otro Mercado, mas nuevo, en el Segundo Ensanche. Entré, y como suelo hacer, pedí permiso para sacar alguna foto. Muy amables, todos los que venden sus productos. Les dije que estoy haciendo turismo… que es la verdad, pero turismo sacando fotos por el Mercado no es muy típico.;)

¡Creo que las fotos no necesitan traducción! You will need to look up the where did you walk locally thread to see them, if you want.
I think that is enough for now! You will see I am missing some vocabulary, but I get around that by finding another way to say what I want! ('Todos los que venden sus productos' instead of stall holders)

the research suggests that instead of correcting people it is more effective to reply using correct spelling and grammar.
Sospecho que esta conclusion depende mucho en el contexto - que tipo de actividad, que tipo/nivel de estudiante, cuales son las otras oportunidades de coregir, explicar, usar, etc.

Seguro que hablar, hablar, hablar es una parte importante, y es la manera en que aprenden los niños. Pero tambien, algo de análisis y correccion puede ayudar a los adultos que lo quieran.

Solamente "to reply" correctamente, no ayuda directamente con los verbos - tu vs. yo. Por eso, es mejor hacer como dice @Katharina...
no hay que corregir ni señalar ningún error, sólo hay que repetir la frase de forma correcta

Hace mucho tiempo, cuando leí sobre la adquisición del lenguaje de los niños que crecen como niños bilingües, aprendí lo siguiente: no hay que corregir ni señalar ningún error, sólo hay que repetir la frase de forma correcta modificada, como parte de una conversación natural y sin darle importancia.

But as you said, adult learners benefit from learning rules about a foreign language that a native speaker may not even be aware of.
Si, verdad! Mis amigos españoles hablan inglés con mejor gramática que yo; pero conozco las reglas del subjuntivo y ellos, no.

€83,-
Just like = igual que?
En mi caso, entendería la frase: “just like” como “similar, igual”.

Ejemplo:
The backpack made by XXX, is “just like” the one made by YYY.

La mochila fabricada por XXX, es “igual o similar” a la fabricada por YYY.

I decided to include both words (igual, similar), as they are similes. You could use either one or the other to express your feelings about the backpacks.

Hope this helps - espero esto les sea de ayuda.

Fast food = comida rápida

Junk food = comida chatarra

Ejemplo de uso de las frases:

En los restaurantes de comida rápida, usualmente sirven comida chatarra. (Fast food restaurants, usually serve junk food).
¿Dónde se dice "comida chatarra"? En España no se utiliza esa expresión. "Chatarra" en España se utiliza para referirse a vehículos muy viejos o a restos de metal, de máquinas o aparatos viejos que se pueden transformar en material útil.

Cuando hablamos de comida, decimos "comida basura".

Hi all:

Really enjoying this thread. Is an opportunity to learn for everyone; even I learn from your postings. As said before, I’m fluent in both English and Spanish; as I had the opportunity to learn both languages simultaneously while at school thru university.

The only thing missing here that we could talk the language, but we have to begin with what is available at the moment, and is writing. Writing our thoughts give us a structure that will help us then put voice to our written thoughts.

So be patient with yourself. I have been studying Italian for some time, this is my anecdote. My wife and I went on a tour to Italy and the day before returning home, the tour director gave us the day to run errands. So, we went to buy some souvenirs, and the one left on the list was our youngest son. We decided to get him a keychain, we stop on showcase and there it was the keychain. Entered the store and in broken Italian ask to see it, the shopkeeper kindly let us see the article and then addressed us in broken English asking from where we were. Well, to make the story short, we spend an hour plus talking about everything. At the beginning of our conversation, we agreed that he would speak in English and me in Italian; whenever there was a spoken mistake the other would correct the other. That was the most learning experience we had of our tour.

If you like that I correct with softness when there are “learning mistakes”, I’ll do with great pleasure. One warning, my Spanish is from the Caribbean and as such, the use of the words: Vos and Vosotros and the corresponding verbs are not used. We study them, as we have to read the Spanish Classics. Instead of: Vos and Vosotros you may find me using: Usted and Ustedes. If I do, and you would like to see the way normally used in Spain, please let me know.

Thanks you all for the interest in learning the Spanish language.

Iván

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
¿Tenéis un camino (o tramo) favorito? ¿Y por qué?

A mí no me parece nada fácil elegir. Estoy dudando entre el tramo Irún - Bilbao del Camino del Norte y el tramo Le Puy - Conques del Camino de Le Puy. Ambos por los paisajes, las montañas y la variedad. Y también porque tengo buenas memorias de los otros peregrinos que conocí. El número de peregrinos que hay en estas rutas es ideal para mí: suficiente pero no demasiado. Por eso también me gustó mucho la Vía de la Plata. Al final creo que el tramo del Camino del Norte va a ganar. Por las ciudades de San Sebastián y Bilbao y por la posibilidad de saltar en el mar al final de una etapa calurosa. ¡Ah, como si tus pies estuvieran en el cielo!

¿Dónde se dice "comida chatarra"? En España no se utiliza esa expresión. "Chatarra" en España se utiliza para referirse a vehículos muy viejos o a restos de metal, de máquinas o aparatos viejos que se pueden transformar en material útil.

Cuando hablamos de comida, decimos "comida basura".
Gracias María por tu aclaración del término como se usa en España. En el área de donde soy oriundo es la forma en que llamamos. En los 21 países en qué se habla español, hay diferentes formas de llamar una cosa o un concepto. Lo mismo ocurre con el idioma inglés, una palabra tiene diferentes significados en Inglaterra, Estados Unidos, Australia, Nueva Zelandia, etc. Un ejemplo de una de esas palabras (mencionada muchas veces en este foro) es: “pants”.

También utilizamos chatarra al referirnos a hierros viejos. Nada María; somos “primos” que nos separa un lenguaje en común. Como dijo el poeta: “Las cosas son según el color del cristal con que se miran”.

Saludos,

Iván

Tengo una idea. He escrito algunas frases con errores comunes. ¡Encuentra los errores!

1. Mi albergue favorita es cerca de la catedral.
  2. Me gusta mucho los zamburinas.
  3. Caminé 40 km hoy, y ahora soy cansada.
  4. Yo bebe mucho vino tinto mientras soy en el camino.
  5. Hay un cama disponible por tu amiga.

Yo práctico mucho hablar español hoy! Está diferente aquí porqué yo hablo mi ideas. Duolingo no hablan mi ideas.
Yo voy en mí bicicleta hoy. Mi casa es cerca a camino de bicicleta. Mi bicicleta es una bicicleta electrica es muy fácil. Pero no muy buena para mi 😉
Solo un comentario, CarolamS.

En español no es necesario mencionar el pronombre pues ya reconocido en el verbo.

Tu primera oración: “Yo practico mucho hablar español hoy”.
Corrección: Practico hablar más español hoy.

También en la misma oración, el acento en la letra “a” cambia el significado de la palabra. Práctico = Practical

I know the use of the accents creates a big confusion. There are rules as to when they are used that for the moment, IMO, is not the time to take care of them. As you progress in your “studies”, you’ll be able to notice when their use is necessary in order to communicate correctly the idea.

No, the research suggests that instead of correcting people it is more effective to reply using correct spelling and grammar.
Lacking time to think about this in Spanish, I will say that the French Immersion outcomes and 2nd language acquisition outcomes for children who immigrated to Canada show these same conclusions… Even I, after 12 years in immersion, acquired far more from my francophone step-family than I ever did in grammar classes.
I don’t have research at hand for adult learners, but I don’t know that adults like to be told they are stupid anymore than children do.
Our brains are, however, very good at seeing and hearing responses made in the correct form, and I did learn to spend more time (back when I was teaching ESL/EFL for academic bridging courses) with demonstrations of correct usage rather than with “correction”.
There is a tendency for “correction” to be humiliating where demonstration with correct forms modelled is experienced as neutral.
Most of this research shows up in neurolinguistics, and in journals dedicated to the teaching of foreign languages. One could spend a few hours in the associated journals if there’s time. Sadly, I find myself at the end of my coffee breaK and must return to ethnographic writing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tengo una idea. He escrito algunas frases con errores comunes. ¡Encuentra los errores!

1. Mi albergue favorita es cerca de la catedral.
  2. Me gusta mucho los zamburinas.
  3. Caminé 40 km hoy, y ahora soy cansada.
  4. Yo bebe mucho vino tinto mientras soy en el camino.
  5. Hay un cama disponible por tu amiga.

¡Me gusta! Voy a dejar las correcciones a los que estén en el nivel A2 (más o menos). Pero tengo una pregunta: hiciste deliberadamente más que un error en algunas frases?

En América Latina se la usa. (válgame, dije eso correctamente? y no sé como escribir un signo de interrogación upside-down*.)

edited to add: el signo de interrogación de apertura
En América Latina se usa.

You can drop the article “la”.
To write the “upside question mark ¿” at least on an IPhone, you can hold a character down for few seconds and a list of alternatives appears. Without lifting your finger, slide it to your selection of the character you need.

Iván

¡Me gusta! Voy a dejar las correcciones a los que estén en el nivel A2 (más o menos).
Gracias, olvidé sugerir eso.

Pero tengo una pregunta: hiciste deliberadamente más que un error en algunas frases?
Sí, algunas frases tienen más de un error.

Sorry, my first reply ought to have been to say thank you for the thread, Laurie. It is clearly eliciting a lot of interest. While I understand and can get by well enough, my ortografia is a disaster, so I will be looking more than writing! 😁
Kirkie:

Please come and participate on the thread. Don’t mind about mistakes, that’s how we learn.

Iván

I don’t have research at hand for adult learners, but I don’t know that adults like to be told they are stupid anymore than children do.
No creo que necesitamos ningunos estudios académicos para confirmar esto. Nadie lo sugiere.

Lo que sabemos es que hay muchas maneras de aprender y cada persona es distinta. A veces, un estilo sirve mejor, and a veces otro.

To write the “upside question mark ¿” at least on an IPhone, you can hold a character down for few seconds and a list of alternatives appears. Without lifting your finger, slide it to your selection of the character you need
En android es lo mismo. O similar.

¿Tenéis un camino (o tramo) favorito? ¿Y por qué?
Es fácil.
Mi camino favorito es el que estoy caminando.
Porque estoy ahí.

Pero el Camino Invierno es muy especial.
It ticks all the boxes. (Is there a Spanish idiom for this?)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.