• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A specific backpack question

CaptBuddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2012, again Fall 2014.
My wife and I are returning to walk the Camino again this year. We both have the mochilas we used in 2012, but we're thinking about something different. My wife wants a larger pack, and I want a smaller one.
Has anyone used the Gregory Savant/Sage packs? Online they look like they are comfortable with good features.
I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience with these Gregory packs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife and I are returning to walk the Camino again this year. We both have the mochilas we used in 2012, but we're thinking about something different. My wife wants a larger pack, and I want a smaller one.
Has anyone used the Gregory Savant/Sage packs? Online they look like they are comfortable with good features.
I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience with these Gregory packs.

I firmly believe that the purchase of a backpack should be done at a store like REI in consultation with someone who is trained to fit you with the proper backpack. I used a Gregory on the Camino. It wasn't my first choice. My second choice. Or even my third choice. But it was the backpack that properly fit me. I don't wish to sound too strident about this, but picking a backpack based upon somebody else's recommendation is like buying a pair of shoes in their size and hope they fit you.

My wife (5' 1") used the Gregory Sage 35 on the Camino, and we certainly saw a number of others with the same pack. Gregory packs are known for comfort and for lines of packs designed specifically for women. She liked the Sage 35 a lot, although she told me the Gregory Deva, unfortunately too large for the Camino, was more comfortable for her. However, I agree with Robert that there is no substitute for trying on packs with weight in them in the store, choosing packs to try with the advice of knowledgeable salespersons, such as found at REI. However, you may be too far from such a resource to follow that advice. The Sage 35 was large enough for everything needed for 43 days on the Camino. It has a number of nice features, including a hidden pocket in the top for valuables. The rain cover, which comes with the pack and stores in the pack in its own pocket (a feature I like), unfortunately does not have a drainage eyelet at the bottom, and in torrential sustained downpours it collected a couple cups of water at the bottom. That was the only design flaw I saw with it. My wife found the waist belt to very comfortable. The compression straps do a good job of holding the load in place. The suspension is good. I think the size is good -- it forces a person to jettison the unnecessary. I saw a lot of the back of the Gregory Sage 35 -- my wife, who seemed to find some extra zip on the Camino was usually walking well ahead of me! I don't know, maybe it was the pack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the responses. As an experiences hiker/backpacker/peregrino I concur: I'd never buy a critical piece of gear without a fitting and a try-out when possible. We both used Deuter packs last Camino and they were great. If not for the desire to change capacities, we'd use them again (and may yet).
tp, my wife is on the shorter side, and very slim, so it is good to learn that the Sage 35 is an option. Over-packing will not be a problem.
Our local outfitter does not have the Savant/Sage in stock. So I was just trying to do a little checking before either having one special ordered, or making the 500 mile round trip to REI.
The Deuters have front panel access, which we both covet, hence the interest in these particular Gregory packs.

Can't pass up backpacks at yard sales so I own a bunch that don't fit very well. As stated above if you are going to hump a ruck for miles , it better fit. Most of mine, when used, are just thrown on a bus/truck/boat, so I generally worry more about friction from vibrating floors wearing holes in the pack than how they fit. Unfortunately I live in a rural area where it is difficult to just go to a store to check many packs for fit, so I make do with what I can get. But one good thing about the Camino is that if you have problems with a pack , you can pay someone to haul it for you--probably cheaper to pay for a van/taxi to haul your pack than to buy an expensive pack.

Thanks for the responses. As an experiences hiker/backpacker/peregrino I concur: I'd never buy a critical piece of gear without a fitting and a try-out when possible. We both used Deuter packs last Camino and they were great. If not for the desire to change capacities, we'd use them again (and may yet).
tp, my wife is on the shorter side, and very slim, so it is good to learn that the Sage 35 is an option. Over-packing will not be a problem.
Our local outfitter does not have the Savant/Sage in stock. So I was just trying to do a little checking before either having one special ordered, or making the 500 mile round trip to REI.
The Deuters have front panel access, which we both covet, hence the interest in these particular Gregory packs.
I love my Deuter ACT Lite 45 plus 10, made for a woman's body. Why change if you have packs you like? What does front panel access mean? That little bottom compartment for sleeping gear that zips open?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Suzanne, I have the Futura Vario 50 +10. Front panel access is a large, U shaped zippered opening that give access to the main compartment without opening the top lid. Typically this is separate from the sleeping gear compartment.

Can someone explain the +10 on certain backpacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
All it means is at the top of the main (big) compartment, there is sort of a hood or sleeve that extends up if you need it, so you can load even more gear in the main compartment up at the top-- I suppose 10 liters more volume. I am not using it, but it provides a little flexibility if I use the pack on a camping trip and need more gear, not the Camino where I need less.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All it means is at the top of the main (big) compartment, there is sort of a hood or sleeve that extends up if you need it, so you can load even more gear in the main compartment up at the top-- I suppose 10 liters more volume. I am not using it, but it provides a little flexibility if I use the pack on a camping trip and need more gear, not the Camino where I need less.

My camino pack will be my Mammut Crea Light 40L. I've stuffed all my camino goodies in it and they just about come up to top of about the initial 30L section. I can cinch it there and still have room for my boots in the drift collar (a 10L section before the lid) and cinch it there again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you checked Bill Jackson's in Clearwater/ St. Pete area ? They have a good selection there, so they might have what you are looking for. My wife and I got our packs and some other gear there for our Camino walk later this year. The most important thing for us was to be able to try them out and fit them there at the store. I got an Osprey atmos 50. My wife, Osprey kyte 46. They were the best fit for us.

I had a Gregory and liked it. Can't remember which model but 35 L size.
I needed the frame adjusted to fit me so it is important that you deal with an experienced sales assistant when you buy it as the instructions are not too clear. I found you tube videos on how to adjust it invaluable. Learnt a lot about how to adjust straps to help comfort.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.