• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A stained glass window in the Cathedral

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took this photo in 2014 in the Cathedral of Santiago. Can you tell me where the window is, and, if you know any more about it, I'd like to know it too.
View attachment 95755
Think it is the window above the Holy Door. Here are three of our photos from 4th, October, 2014, which identifies it. Sorry, the third one is a bit blurred!
4 Oct #19 1627hrs  (corrected time) Santiago Cathedral. St James the Apostle window.JPG4 Oct #21 1633hrs (corrected time) Santiago Cathedral. Holy Doorway with 600kg bronze doors de...JPG4 Oct #22 1635hrs (corrected time) Santiago Catheral. Holy doorway..JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
it was installed in 1896, see La Vidrieira de la Puerta Santa.
The article says that the depiction of the Apostle Saint James in the stained glass window is inspired by the statue at the main altar (cape, staff, gourd, cross) and the miniature in the Codex Calixtinus (benediction gesture). The decorative elements are neo-Romanesque. I guess that one could say that it is an amalgam of Saint James the apostle, Saint James the pilgrim and Saint James the Christian warrior knight.

Motif.jpg

Thank you all so much! I would like to say that it amazes me how much knowledge there is and how helpful people are on this forum, but it doesn't amaze me any more. I am just amazingly grateful.
And, just think, if I had asked this question two years ago, the article in Galicia Histórica would not have been available!
The window was made by Joan Espinagosa (1858-1931) "Little is known about his career, although he appears to have travelled around Europe, imported a machine from Germany in 1903 to unpolish glass and brought printed glass to Spain for the first time from Britain. He is known to have won a gold medal for a stained glass window [not the one over the Holy Door] at an Exhibition held in Santiago de Compostela." [artnouveau.eu/en/author.php?author=195] [The Exhibition was in 1909.]

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back