• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A story of the Camino -"My Camino Dream"

Iain McKie

Camino Iain
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances(2016)
The Camino seemed to find me at a time in my life that I wasn't so happy. Loneliness, depression and alcohol had wrapped their ever so loving arms around me and the light at the end of the tunnel was very dim indeed. I had read the Alchemist years back so sent of for more of Paulo's books and the pilgrimage was one that arrived. No idea what it was about till I grasped it one night and wandered into a hotel bar and read the back cover. The girl bartender noticed it and started to tell me how she had done the Camino the year before. I had never heard of it. Watch a movie called "the way" she said and that night after many drinks I watched the movie. The seed had been sowed and got on with life. I quit drinking not long after that and for the next couple of months started to see life through eyes that were enjoying every little thing that they were focused on. I started an art course as I'd never tried but while not good I loved it. On the run up to Christmas 2015 I was finding myself buy little items such as good walking boots and clothes. The Camino was a dream in the back of my mind that would not stop popping up to caress my thoughts with you need to go. A friend had been on a beech one day and found a shell and gave it to me. A scallop shell and it had sat in front on my TV for about 8 months and before I had heard about the Camino and now it was like a reminder to me every day now and so in late January 2016 I decided I was going. Well I was buying things and talking about to.... myself. I set off from Scotland on the 24th Feb 2016 to walk the Camino Frances. I hadn't read the book nor could I remember the movie and I didn't plan where I'd get to other than day 1. It was all going to be new. 5 weeks I walked and every day I wrote a blog about the most incredible experience I've ever had in my life. The people, my thoughts and a million other things that the Camino delivers to you on an hourly and daily basis. I learned a lot about myself and about walking the Camino.

Update

This is my book that I wrote about my journey http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-mckie/my-camino-dream/paperback/product-23432301.html

I'd be more than happy to talk or answer any questions anyone may have. My advice if your thinking about it. Just do it. You'll learn along the Way. As always thanks St James(I'm not highly religious but this guy was thanked every day and still is) and of course Buen Camino

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a nice story.

I need to make important choices in life, I'm 25 and it is an age of decisions ;), Im thinking to make the Camino in the future months with my mom, i think it can help me to make the choice i really need!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a nice story.

I need to make important choices in life, I'm 25 and it is an age of decisions ;), Im thinking to make the Camino in the future months with my mom, i think it can help me to make the choice i really need!

I smiled at that your turning 25, I hated my 25th birthday as I felt it was now or never. Go on the camino. Don't forget it's your Camino though even if your mom is there. You have made me smile as 25 is an incredible age. As are all ages. Go find you

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What a nice story.

Like Nike--not the Greek goddess one--says: Just do it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino seemed to find me at a time in my life that I wasn't so happy. Loneliness, depression and alcohol had wrapped their ever so loving arms around me and the light at the end of the tunnel was very dim indeed. I had read the Alchemist years back so sent of for more of Paulo's books and the pilgrimage was one that arrived. No idea what it was about till I grasped it one night and wandered into a hotel bar and read the back cover. The girl bartender noticed it and started to tell me how she had done the Camino the year before. I had never heard of it. Watch a movie called "the way" she said and that night after many drinks I watched the movie. The seed had been sowed and got on with life. I quit drinking not long after that and for the next couple of months started to see life through eyes that were enjoying every little thing that they were focused on. I started an art course as I'd never tried but while not good I loved it. On the run up to Christmas 2015 I was finding myself buy little items such as good walking boots and clothes. The Camino was a dream in the back of my mind that would not stop popping up to caress my thoughts with you need to go. A friend had been on a beech one day and found a shell and gave it to me. A scallop shell and it had sat in front on my TV for about 8 months and before I had heard about the Camino and now it was like a reminder to me every day now and so in late January 2016 I decided I was going. Well I was buying things and talking about to.... myself. I set off from Scotland on the 24th Feb 2016 to walk the Camino Frances. I hadn't read the book nor could I remember the movie and I didn't plan where I'd get to other than day 1. It was all going to be new. 5 weeks I walked and every day I wrote a blog about the most incredible experience I've ever had in my life. The people, my thoughts and a million other things that the Camino delivers to you on an hourly and daily basis. I learned a lot about myself and about walking the Camino. This is my blog http://caminoiain.blogspot.co.uk/ which inonly read myself for the first time two days ago. I'd be more than happy to talk or answer any questions anyone may have. My advice if your thinking about it. Just do it. You'll learn along the Way. As always thanks St James(I'm not highly religious but this guy was thanked every day and still is) and of course Buen Camino

My Camino Dream
A wonderful post, Iain. Thanks for sharing your personal struggles, and the effect of your Camino on your life. I'm sure it will inspire others who face similar issues. It was not lost on me the subtle hints, like the gift of the scallop shell, that led you to make your decision. Ultreia!

Thank you for sharing this, the testimony of human struggles is what the Camino is all about. I wish you well on the years going forward.
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, it's hard to share sometimes and the Camino in its own way thought me

Never be afraid to share ..... Many will identify with all your experiences .... It struck a cord with me .... It takes courage to be open :)....

ULTREIA
Anne ..... Walking to Pamplona today

Thank you Anne and enjoy your walk into Pamplona today. It's an incredible city. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I smiled at that your turning 25, I hated my 25th birthday as I felt it was now or never. Go on the camino. Don't forget it's your Camino though even if your mom is there. You have made me smile as 25 is an incredible age. As are all ages. Go find you

Ok i'll take your advice, thank you very much Iain!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back