• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Striking Sew (iron?) on badge or patch

John Hussey

What I cannot seem to find is a striking sew or iron on patch for my backpack that represents the Camino and, specifically, the scallop shell. Hopefully it would also carry the red sword of Santiago Matamoros upon its face. I have seen this symbol represented in various places but never as a patch or badge. It would really be nice to find it tastefully embroidered, too, but I don't want to ask for too much.

There doesn't seem to be many patches at all. There is the small red one from CSJ but it is quite dull, small, and carries no scallop shell. Then there is a blue one I found on the 'net from some tour company, also round, about the same size as the one from CSJ, still dull, no scallop shell. I have an iron-on one that was very kindly sent to me by another doing the Camino Frances a couple of years ago but it is getting ragged from wear, and I would like to replace it. I just do not know where it was purchased. It was not embroidered but still is the best looking of the small lot I have been able to find. It is a nice representation of the scallop shell with Santiago Matamoro's red sword upon it.

Has anyone a clue as to where such a patch might be obtained?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sew on Badges

Hi John,
There is a little shop in Santiago that sells a variety of sew on camino badges from Santiasgo Peregrino to humourous cartoon pilgrims. Its a pity they don't sell online because they also have a range of metal walking stick badges, Tshirts etc.
The new Forum button badge is quite striking and you can pin it on your backpack or on your hat!
If you are really desperate for a badge, the CSJ of South Africa has a very nice one with a shell embossed with a red Santiago Cross.

Sew-On Patch

"If you are really desperate for a badge, the CSJ of South Africa has a very nice one with a shell embossed with a red Santiago Cross."

Do they have a website for viewing the patch?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
bades/patches

Hi John,
You appear to be have some difficulty re an emblem for your pack. Why not try DIY and get hold of a shell yourself. You can then attach it anywhere you want, tie it to your staff, if you carry one, fix it with string onto the pack ......etc. Perhaps you can then get a nice new badge when you arrive in Santiago to replace the ragged one.

Buen Camino,
Brendan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What I cannot seem to find is a striking sew or iron on patch for my backpack that represents the Camino and, specifically, the scallop shell. ... There is the small red one from CSJ but it is quite dull, small, and carries no scallop shell.

Really? I've been using the CSJ/UK patch on each of my packs. It's large, bright red, and has a scallop shell. Here's the link: (scroll down the page to the "woven patch" item)
http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Badges_and_Clothing_25.html

Sounds a bit risky to me to iron on a patch on your pack. What if you melt the material of your pack? Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi John I got mine from here:
http://www.patchquartermaster.com/Specialty_Patches_s/63.htm
SPCDSPP1_Red-Shell_Patch-1.jpg
SPCDSPP1_Blue-Shell_Patch-1.jpg
SPCDSPIN4_Red-SHELL_PIN-1.jpg

Hi John - last year I ordered a supply of cloth badges featuring the Scallop Shell Waymarker from Pilgrim Supplies in the UK. Vivid blue and 'Camino yellow' - very striking and the badge really stands out on my backpack. I have also used another of the badges on a travel towel which I've called my 'Buen Camino!' travel towel ... it's a bright yellow one that I picked up in a discount department store and I sewed the badge onto the towel at one end, in the middle. Both the decorated pack and the towel are going with me when I volunteer on the Camino next year. Cheers and good luck with finding your perfect badge - Jenny

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also have ordered patches from patchquartermaster.com. They do an excellent job, reasonable prices and will also make custom patches.

Thank you "Bigpants". I just ordered a "Blue Shell" patch and it looks great. I still like our patch here on the forum better, but I wanted to have a few more to put on my backpack as well as some leather vest jackets for when I am riding my Harley Fatboy.

Who knows? I might eventually one day run into a fellow pilgrim and they will greet me due to the patch and then talk of our experiences for hours.

Thank you again for providing this link. Most do not work anymore but your's did!!

¡Buen Camino!

PS: Does anyone here know where the man in this video [ with dark t-shirt with a very large bright yellow camino shell [ not the "rays shell" but a full shell ] might have purchased his cool t-shirt? See his very cool t-shirt midway through this:

¡Muchas gracias por su ayuda!

Noah

Oops. Does any moderator know how I can post this link without it showing up as a screen? Help!! Just wanted to show the t-shirt, not the entire screen!!

Just an update on the question I posed about the t-shirt I was describing above.

I have been in touch with Jim [ the man in the video ] and he says he purchased the dark t-shirt with large yellow sea shell from a street vendor near or in front of the Cathedral Santiago.

Just thought you might like to know.

Noah

PS: Still waiting from a moderator on how to list the link for the video without the video showing up like it does?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back