• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Stroll from Sarria to SdC - Which Roses to Smell?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
What would you look at along the way?

My wife Pat and I are soon to embark on the slowest / easiest Camino on record :oops:

Whilst I walked the CF last year, this will be Pat's first Camino experience. And she is not really a walker. That, and given that we are both a bit injured, we are taking it very easy. (I have Achilles Tendonitis and Pat has Plantar Faciitis)

Are far as the medical issues are concerned, we are well prepared and professionally advised ;) Drugs, ice, stretches, you name it, we'll be doing it.....

To make this as easy as possible for Pat, I have planned very short stages and luggage transport. We are taking 9 days from Sarria. Yes I know... :oops: That's very short stages ...... I plan the first three days to be Ultra short, to allow her feet to 'warm up' ad to get used to the routine. The maximum day is 16 kms.

We'll also do a short day walk past the Cruz de Ferro on our way, just so she can experience that, before we get to Sarria. Nice to see the cross and the mountain views.

Now if all goes well, we will have a leisurely walk, starting out late and enjoying each others company and hopefully working out our timing to avoid most of the 'hordes'.....

If all goes really well, and by that I mean Pat is actually able to walk without too much pain, it would be great to see some of the sights along the way. We'll have plenty of time!

The last time I walked this stretch, I was kind of hobbling, and just focussed on maintaining forward momentum :eek:

I'm sure I missed a lot......

So.....what things would you recommend we look out for along the way? Either on the Camino or within a couple of kms? We may end up needing to 'burn up' some time along the way :)

I never got to see the Church (that was moved) in Portomarin for example.

Note. All accommodation is pre booked, to ensure easy walking stages, and no 'bed race' stress. So it's not a case of 'get to SdC early' and do something else.....

Sub note: This Camino will also feature on our Blog in English and Thai, and I'm sure will provide a different perspective ;) For those preferring to 'stroll' that is.......

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do see the little 12th cent. Romanesque church of Santiago at Barbadelo (just a few kilometres out of Sarria). I was much blessed there last year so I cannot imagine it without this in my memory. Brierley says that mass is at 7:00 pm, but it was at 5:30 when I went through in November. The churchyard, with graves designed like horreos, is also interesting, and was particularly so when decorated for All Soul's Day. I hope that the door will be open when you pass by.

Hi, Rob,
It sounds like you have a wonderful Camino planned for you and your wife. There is no shortage of things to fill your hours wherever you may be.

I know you may have already booked all your nights, but let me just put in a plug for Casa Morgade, about 10-12 km from Sarria http://www.casamorgade.com. On one of my very first Caminos we stayed here (2002 maybe?)when it was just a small family run business,with farming being the primary focus. We had a wonderful long evening dinner with the wife of the farmer, a woman from Bilbao, who had fallen in love with a gallego farmer.

Just two years ago, I went by the place again, and there she was, still working in the kitchen, but she came and sat with me and we had a very nice chat. This is a place that has good Camino vibes, it's a great place to stay, especially since they have added a nice Hotel Rural annex to the original place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Last edited:
What would you look at along the way?

My wife Pat and I are soon to embark on the slowest / easiest Camino on record :oops:

Whilst I walked the CF last year, this will be Pat's first Camino experience. And she is not really a walker. That, and given that we are both a bit injured, we are taking it very easy. (I have Achilles Tendonitis and Pat has Plantar Faciitis)

Are far as the medical issues are concerned, we are well prepared and professionally advised ;) Drugs, ice, stretches, you name it, we'll be doing it.....

To make this as easy as possible for Pat, I have planned very short stages and luggage transport. We are taking 9 days from Sarria. Yes I know... :oops: That's very short stages ...... I plan the first three days to be Ultra short, to allow her feet to 'warm up' ad to get used to the routine. The maximum day is 16 kms.

We'll also do a short day walk past the Cruz de Ferro on our way, just so she can experience that, before we get to Sarria. Nice to see the cross and the mountain views.

Now if all goes well, we will have a leisurely walk, starting out late and enjoying each others company and hopefully working out our timing to avoid most of the 'hordes'.....

If all goes really well, and by that I mean Pat is actually able to walk without too much pain, it would be great to see some of the sights along the way. We'll have plenty of time!

The last time I walked this stretch, I was kind of hobbling, and just focussed on maintaining forward momentum :eek:

I'm sure I missed a lot......

So.....what things would you recommend we look out for along the way? Either on the Camino or within a couple of kms? We may end up needing to 'burn up' some time along the way :)

I never got to see the Church (that was moved) in Portomarin for example.

Note. All accommodation is pre booked, to ensure easy walking stages, and no 'bed race' stress. So it's not a case of 'get to SdC early' and do something else.....

Sub note: This Camino will also feature on our Blog in English and Thai, and I'm sure will provide a different perspective ;) For those preferring to 'stroll' that is.......

if you have the time and a vehicle, sobrado monastery is well worth the visit. pambre castle also requires a vehicle but is a short drive from palas or melide, and it may have reopened. walking distance, the usual suspects: vilar de donas and the castro at castrojeriz, everything else is literally 'on the Camino'.

The old fort at Castromaior! It's after Portomarin, not massively well signposted and adds 400 m to your walk, but it is well worth it. Spend some time walking around up there and take a good break.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back