• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A summer day camp throwback, 5 days on the Camino Inglés

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués Porto'17,Lisbon'18
Inglés A Coruña y Ferrol '18
Invierno'19
Hello All,
For those that read my thread 'the many ways to Bruma' you read that my son and I were passing time waiting for selectividad results by walking the old, new, and Coruña ways to Bruma.
Now we are waiting for his college placement and we needed a new challenge. We live in A Coruña so we have walked the inglés many times, in order, out of order, from Ferrol, from Coruña, mainly on weekends and rarely 2 stages in a row, in order to train for our caminos away from home. This summer we have no plans for an away camino having walked the invierno during semana santa but we want to walk, you know that feeling.....so we decided to walk the inglés in order from Ferrol, walking every day but going home to sleep like camp, luckily I have a super husband who is always willing to be our cab driver.
Before I comment on our trip I want to give a tremendous shout out to Elle of the website 'The Pilgrimage Traveler' also a forum member, her maps, photos, comments, insights and detail are second to none and were our constant companion.
Monday July 1
Ferrol to Fene 19km/4 hours(approx)
This stage we have only walked once before, last year, the route seemed to be as we remembered, the pedestrian bridge to Neda is open and you can see the alburgue across the Ria even though the arrows and pillars lead you around the bend, we crossed the bridge and continued along the Ria passing by the front of the Alburgue not going around the back up to the main road as the camino leads you, If you don't need the services this walk is nice and clear as to when and how you join the Camino Proper. The stage has a couple of climbs near the end. Our last walk from Ferrol we ended in Pontedeume this time we had a family lunch so we stopped in Fene, I liked this much better going forward, and I would recommend this to warm up to the camino burdens. However Fene and Neda are really 'suburbs' of Ferrol so if you are planning on fewer days not fewer kilometers per day you might want to push on to Pontedeume a very quaint town with much more to do and not miss.
Tuesday July 2
Fene to Miño 19km/4 hours
Again as we remembered, this stage is much more demanding and we were glad to have another short stage. Miño is a beach town and a nice place to stop. A couple of weeks ago we tried the route provided by John from Pontedeume to Miño along the Ria. For a first timer I don't recommend this, we both really like the walk from Pontedeume to Miño, yes it is hilly but that leads to wonderful views I wouldn't want to miss. If you are a beach fan I would recommend staying the night in Miño. If you are walking the inglés again then maybe try this variant but be aware that it isn't marked at all though John's description is great.
Wednesday July 3
Miño to Presedo 23.5km/5.5 hours
We felt the added kms today, we also walked under more sun which slows the time passing. For us, since we are sleeping at home these stages work but really there is nothing in Presedo and to miss Betanzos is a mistake so again if you have limited days I would stop in Betanzos and enjoy. The final walk along the highway into Presedo is truly a mystery...I have not walked the 'old way' later this summer we will go try to walk it then maybe I can make an educated guess as to why they changed it.
Thursday July 4
Presedo to A Calle 23km/5h15min
This is the famous climb to Bruma stage in the beginning, look for my thread 'the many ways to Bruma' that gives my thoughts. Today we chose the new way knowing we would be continuing on to A Calle. After Bruma I have to admit it is a bit of a slog.... the day was hot and spent mainly on pavement. The new alburgue in Poulo is sitting on the Camino and looks nice. We walked just a couple of km further to the bar O cruceiro.
The area after Betanzos until Sigueiro is through very small places, for every person that enjoys short stages and stopping in these little places there is another that could go crazy. I am the latter. However this challenge has taught me that my feet like to walk under 20km days and if I didn't have the 'Dad Cab' I would choose to embrace the quieter life. I think each kind will find what they need, the inglés provides ample places to stop now for every need.
July 5
A Calle to Santiago 28km/5h50m
This is a walk we have made many times and just as remembered. A lot has been written about the walk along the highway, this is the only way we have ever walked and it just doesn't bother us. It is along a highway but it isn't pavement and there is plenty of shade at times. The fountain the path takes you by looks old I wonder if this path was here before the highway. I have to admit that you hear cars going by but my pragmatic son said 'I like the passing cars, they make a needed breeze at times '. On this summer day the trees hid a lot from our eyes and at times I forgot we were walking along the highway. Also important to note we have always walked this portion at the beginning of the day not at the end, this could influence our feelings. Again as with the portion before Presedo I have no idea 'why' the camino here was changed, but the difference is I don't think we will go try to walk the old way, if it skipped the walk past the televes buildings maybe. We have never started from Sigueiro and for us the final 16km seem long, but they are through farms and forests and quite lovely. Just the final push through the Santiago suburbs is hard on the mind and feet.
Thanks for reading, this week really took me back to my years as a Campfire Girl, spending the day outside in the sun and coming home tired to sleep in my own bed just to wake up early the next morning and do it all again.
Buen Camino
MaryEllen
8A6F9FEA-8548-4084-AD77-C25F4DEA50C0.jpeg
The new alburgue at Poulo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Before I comment on our trip I want to give a tremendous shout out to Elle of the website 'The Pilgrimage Traveler' also a forum member, her maps, photos, comments, insights and detail are second to none and were our constant companion.
Thank you so much for the shout out! You have helped me enormously with making sure my info is updated and complete!

And congrats on doing the entire way back to back, albeit, staying in your own bed! What a way to go!

I find your choice of stages to be very interesting! I'm not sure I would like the long final stage into Santiago. You had complete flexibility, not having to stay overnight along the way, which is wonderful for you.

I also highly recommend staying in the lovely beachside town of Miño. I missed it the first time through, as it is not on the standard stages. Walking on the long and glorious beach here is fabulous, even after a day on the Camino.

Your attitude on walking along the highway on your day five into Sigueiro is to be commended! I do think your attitude may have been tempered by walking in the morning. 😀 By the afternoon, the shade all but disappears, and I found this long section, while not disgusting, to be an unwelcome change from the old route. Walking by the old fountain was a lovely, shady reprieve from this long, hot walk into Segueiro, and I can't help but wonder if this was the reason for the change. While we walked this section, we had a car drive by us, containing a pharmacist, asking if we needed anything! Perhaps too many pilgrims have had to be rescued through here? Perhaps this is the reason for the change?

Finally, I'm glad to hear the feedback regarding the walk along the coast to Miño. When I read the info from John, it just didn't feel practical for most folks. It's good to have more eyes on the situation!

Thanks again for this report and for all your help! It is indeed a wonderful Camino!
Most warmly,
Elle

Thank you so much for the shout out! You have helped me enormously with making sure my info is updated and complete!

And congrats on doing the entire way back to back, albeit, staying in your own bed! What a way to go!

I find your choice of stages to be very interesting! I'm not sure I would like the long final stage into Santiago. You had complete flexibility, not having to stay overnight along the way, which is wonderful for you.

I also highly recommend staying in the lovely beachside town of Miño. I missed it the first time through, as it is not on the standard stages. Walking on the long and glorious beach here is fabulous, even after a day on the Camino.

Your attitude on walking along the highway on your day five into Sigueiro is to be commended! I do think your attitude may have been tempered by walking in the morning. 😀 By the afternoon, the shade all but disappears, and I found this long section, while not disgusting, to be an unwelcome change from the old route. Walking by the old fountain was a lovely, shady reprieve from this long, hot walk into Segueiro, and I can't help but wonder if this was the reason for the change. While we walked this section, we had a car drive by us, containing a pharmacist, asking if we needed anything! Perhaps too many pilgrims have had to be rescued through here? Perhaps this is the reason for the change?

Finally, I'm glad to hear the feedback regarding the walk along the coast to Miño. When I read the info from John, it just didn't feel practical for most folks. It's good to have more eyes on the situation!

Thanks again for this report and for all your help! It is indeed a wonderful Camino!
Most warmly,
Elle
Hi Elle,
Thanks for replying it is always nice to hear from you!! I did track the walk with map my walk and I'm happy to send you the tracks if I can figure out how...
I posted about our trip on the walk from Pontedeume to Miño on the thread by John, I can't remember the name.....
Maybe we will have to go try the old way into Sigueiro, a bit longer of a drive to start but we can hop a bus home to save the dadcab a trip. I think the time of day one walks influences everything. I think the reason we always make it a longer walk on the last leg is to save time to and fro in the car, Sigueiro is only about 8 min from Santiago. We almost cut the stage from Presedo to A Calle in half to make it a 6 day trip and I think our choice not to really was to save my husband two more trips.
The inglés really is a gem, it has never failed to get us in shape for our away caminos and every hill we walk is still always compared to 'Bruma'.
Also to note for you, we did not see any detour signs this trip, maybe the changes are done for awhile.
Buen camino!!
MaryEllen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If anyone wants to see the alternative route, that we are talking about, from Pontedeume to Miño via the coast, click on the link. MaryEllen, I don't recall seeing your post on it, but I read it just now. Sounds interesting for the adventurous! This is NOT a waymarked, nor official route and it may walk on private land. Read the link carefully, if you wish to try this!

Also, the detour signs I encountered were through A Coruña, so if you re-trace that section any time soon, I'd love to know if the detour signs are still up!

I'd love to have your tracks. I am not familiar with the MapMyWalk app, but check the menu settings and see if there is a "save tracks" or "share tracks" type of function. I need the kml file type if it gives you a choice. PM me if you figure it out and if there is a link you can share with the files. Thanks!

We live in A Coruña so we have walked the inglés many times, in order, out of order, from Ferrol, from Coruña, mainly on weekends and rarely 2 stages in a row, in order to train for our caminos away from home.
we decided to walk the inglés in order from Ferrol, walking every day but going home to sleep like camp
Until I read the second part of the above I was going to suggest that you do the camino in a new way, alphabetically by start point of each stage.

Thanks for the tips.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Challenge accepted??????
I'll keep you posted!!!!!
Hello again,
So we started the alphabet challenge on Saturday 20/7.
First up :
Betanzos to Presedo 13k
This time we did try the 'old' way into Presedo and it is definitely nicer and marked with old arrows and some wooden signs that must have been placed by a camino angel. We missed a left turn but by chance one of the few cars we saw walking that way caught us less than 100 meters after the mistake and told us to go back, I don't know if we missed an old arrow. We have the wise pilgrims app But there were enough arrows we had stopped looking. We had one area in the last 'forrest' section with out coverage and had to make a choice to veer right or left, we started left and then turned back and went right which was correct.
Now my thoughts on why they changed this portion to put pilgrims on a road, I can only guess but I think maybe the people living on the Camino didn't want the pilgrim traffic.... I have a friend that bought a very old stone house on the Camino and she said any work they do has to be approved by the powers that be in Santiago and it takes awhile. I noticed a bit of construction. Unlike the old way past Bar Julia which I imagine in spots will be completely overgrown sooner rather than later (see my post 'the many ways to Bruma')this portion had one small section that could become overgrown and there was a downed tree to navigate. So I really don't know.....I usually think safety is often a reason but this can't apply when you put pilgrims on the side of a road with very little shoulder......the mystery continues.
Next up Ferrol to Neda!!
Buen Camino
MaryEllen

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Howdy folks I am looking forward to doing the St. James Way in England and considering continuing on with the es Camino INGLES. Can anyone share suggestion or have experience with transportation...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back