• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A third way from Castro Urdiales to Laredo?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Gronze and other guides show two possibilities -- the shorter one along the N-634 and the longer one (official) away from the coast that goes through Rioseco and La Magdalena.

A wikiloc track shows a third possibility that stays closer to the coast and is off road.

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15040876

The guy who posted the tracks lists the pros and cons:

pros: Avoids the highway, shorter distance, about 25 km, spectacular views, see the vultures close-up (not sure that's a pro, very little traffic.

cons: ascent and descent, and one narrow part that requires caution, no marking with yellow arrows, but there are some red and black markings.

Has anyone done this alternative? Any comments or advice?

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Laurie,

While I can't help you regarding coastal route, there is a way to get from Liendo to Laredo that is not in the guides and is fabulous. It goes uphill by the Capilla de San Julian and back down. One of my favourites parts of the Norte. The hospy in Liendo has maps on how to get there and it is discussed in the Editorial Buem Camino guide.

Taking this route would mean not going the way you are now looking at.

When the last thread about this etapa was posted I was very confused: talk of train tunnels I have not seen. Now that I have my guide book, would you mind helping me find that thread to try to understans what the discussion was about?

Thank you.

Laurie,

While I can't help you regarding coastal route, there is a way to get from Liendo to Laredo that is not in the guides and is fabulous. It goes uphill by the Capilla de San Julian and back down. One of my favourites parts of the Norte. The hospy in Liendo has maps on how to get there and it is discussed in the Editorial Buem Camino guide.

Taking this route would mean not going the way you are now looking at.

When the last thread about this etapa was posted I was very confused: talk of train tunnels I have not seen. Now that I have my guide book, would you mind helping me find that thread to try to understans what the discussion was about?

Thank you.

Hi, Anemone, Thanks for that, I´ll have a look. The other thread that included the talk of tunnels was about the stage going into Castro Urdiales I think.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...urdiales-confusing-section.44524/#post-467670

It's fun looking at these routes on wikiloc because of the tremendous amount of detail it shows. Buen camino, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have done the two versions offered by Gronze - both the inland route from Ontón to Otañes as well as the more coastal route and I would suggest the coastal which follows a Vía Verde.

IMHO the inland route only adds more km and is not particularly interesting.

I have done the two versions offered by Gronze - both the inland route from Ontón to Otañes as well as the more coastal route and I would suggest the coastal which follows a Vía Verde.

IMHO the inland route only adds more km and is not particularly interesting.
Have you tried that third option, LT?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No Laurie, that's for the third time:D
What, does this mean I am getting confused and even more forgetful?

How about a return trip this summer to check it out? I am going to be trying as many of these alternatives as I can. And though I know I did a lot of royal mess-ups with my GPS when we walked the Catalan, My skills have improved dramatically :pand I am fairly confident that I can take these arrow-less alternatives without too many drastic consequences.

I believe you Laurie but the next time out on the Norte I would like to pick up where I left off in Gijón although the costal routes after Ribadesilla were spectacular!

I believe you Laurie but the next time out on the Norte I would like to pick up where I left off in Gijón although the costal routes after Ribadesilla were spectacular!
Well, then, you can meet me in Gijon, I'm flexible. :) We could walk the Ruta del Mar from Ribadeo and then the Ingles, or just continue southward on the Norte.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Knowing you, you have everything already planned out;). ETA around Gijón?
Well, actually, I don't have it planned out, except to know that I would like to arrive in Santiago on June 29. But my flight home isn't till July 7, so I can be later and just not walk to Finisterre/Muxia.

I will take a dip down to see the church at Valdedios, about 10 km off route, but am not sure how I'll go from there -- either back up to Amandi and on to Gijon, or down to Oviedo, and then up to Aviles from Oviedo.

I can do some work on an ETA, but not likely till after the holidays. This would be great!

You don't have to go back to Amandi for the Norte if you visit Valdedios, its only about 2 or 3km from the Norte route along a quiet country lane, many pilgrims( usually Spanish ones in the know) stay at the albergue at the monastery then connect up with the route to Gijon the next day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A wikiloc track shows a third possibility that stays closer to the coast and is off road.

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15040876

I would be very interested in this third possibility when you walk it, Laurie. it will certainly be on my list the next time I am on the Norte. this time I walked along N634 and altough the traffic was minimal, it was hard and long. this route joins the new official camino at ermita de san Julián and follows it along the spectacular coast into Laredo.

for those who are going to walk along the N634. at the bottom of the descend, before the first houses and before crossing a small river, there is a local route on the right, waymarked with a brown signpost, that links directly with the new camino before it starts climbing to ermita de san Julián. it saves some of the asphalt and is shorter then walking to where the new camino crosses N634 (by y bar).

I would be very interested in this third possibility when you walk it, Laurie. it will certainly be on my list the next time I am on the Norte. this time I walked along N634 and altough the traffic was minimal, it was hard and long.

Hi, caminka, I will surely take this route, weather permitting. Though I wasn't planning to bring my GPS this year since I'm heading to a busy camino, I am going to load up a few of these off-road alternatives. I won't be able to count on having anyone along with me and who knows what the marking is like. And I am a real pro at getting lost. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, caminka, I will surely take this route, weather permitting. Though I wasn't planning to bring my GPS this year since I'm heading to a busy camino, I am going to load up a few of these off-road alternatives. I won't be able to count on having anyone along with me and who knows what the marking is like. And I am a real pro at getting lost. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie;

If you have not been lost on the Camino, you have probably only walked the Frances. I have been lost several times. I do not use GPS but have several tried and true methods of finding my way. If the choice is up or down, I always choose up. Always walk east, if possible (unless a north bound Camino). Look for footprints. The Norte is pretty tough to get lost, though I did once prior to Ballota.

I have only taken the long way, through the woods, from CU. I stayed in the Albergue in Liendo. A very nice Albergue with a washing machine and the Hospitalera did the laundry. They also had a very nice restaurant in the town. Well worth the stop.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Joe, thanks for that tip. Where did you start that stage?

Laurie:

Started in Castro Urdiales. My intention was to continue on to Laredo but I met some people, along the way, who were stopping in Liendo. The place was nice and had a washing machine. That locked it for me. The restaurant was a bonus. This is a small Pueblo.

Joe

Laurie:

Started in Castro Urdiales. My intention was to continue on to Laredo but I met some people, along the way, who were stopping in Liendo. The place was nice and had a washing machine. That locked it for me. The restaurant was a bonus. This is a small Pueblo.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

And then the next day did you go to Guemes? If so, was that a do-able day?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Joe.

And then the next day did you go to Guemes? If so, was that a do-able day?

Yes, I went to Guemes the next day ( longer day 35 km's but a lot of flat walking). I took the coastal route. A very nice walk with one difficult dune climb and then a nice walk down the beach to Noja.

Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.