• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A thread for helpful hints.

Minkey

Was thinking last night, we've all learned some handy stuff on the Camino, so why not share it?

When you're served bread with your evening meal, stash some in a napkin so you've got more grub to eat while your out on the open road.

If anyone else has any bright ideas, please... Share em!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I feel it's an obligation that we, who have walked the Caminos, have. It is a way of returning a bit for how much we've gotten from the experience(s). We should share our Caminos-related/life in general, experiences, anecdotes, suggestions, etc, here at the forum, not only with soon to be pilgrims but with us "old timers." Both have a lot of insight to expand on, all the time. As a former prof of mine used to say: "life is a struggle, and while there's a struggle, there's life." Best, xm 8)

If your toilet paper runs out, steal from bars. ;-)

When you're walking in the woods and you see a backpack lying on the side of the road and its owner is nowhere in sight, keep your eyes straight forward.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My Top Dozen Tips

1) Wear old, throw-away clothes to travel in to Spain. You can donate them to a shelter or leave them in your hotel room.
2) Secure a bed well away from the bathroom as this is the noisiest part of the refuge.
3) Do not be late in Roncesvalles (and other albergues that have curfews)as the doors of the refuge are locked
4) Carry snacks in your backpack
5) Do not handle fresh produce in a shop, get the shop-keepers attention and simply point at the item, handling produce causes bruising and damaged items and they get really pee-eed off!
6) If you have had too many cafe con leche try “cola cao” instead - delicious.
7) Buy food and water at Carrión de los Condes as there is nothing for 17 kilometers
8) Do NOT pick the farmers crops! But eat the wild berries.cherries etc
9) When using phone cards, its often half the price if you use the phones inside the bars and not the Telefonica Call boxes on the streets
10) If you get blisters or torn muscles, most refuges have a doctor or clinic on call and treatment of pilgrims for these types of injuries is free.
11) Make copies of all your documents before you leave and email them to yourself. If you need them you can log on and print them.
12) Using foreign keyboards can be challenging! Remember that Alt 64 makes the @ sign on pc’s.

You meant "using the paper that you didn't use when taking advantage of their facilities after a cafe con leche..." :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hints and Tips

Pegs: Save those little plastic bread and fruit packet clips - make excellent pegs.

Pack your shirts: shorts: socks & undies: in separate zip-lock bags. Easy to see and they dont crackle like ordinary plastic bags.

Buy a "Eurodirect card" in Spain for 6 euro to phone home: Check the printing on the front of the card - should be good for Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Singapore.

112 is the Europe-wide emergency number

If you have a new camera, summarise the instructions and email it to yourself. You can check it when you reach an internet point.

"using the paper that you didn't use when taking advantage of their facilities after a cafe con leche..."

Hey, we pay for it with our cafe con leche and madalenas :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For trans-Atlantic travel,pack your empty backpack and all your gear into
an old suitcase or old sports-kit bag,no belts or straps or protruding parts
to get caught on conveyor belts and less likley to fall off baggage cart on
the way to aircraft,(I have worked at a few airports and have often seen
backpacks lying on the ramp area !!).Les.

I just put everything I will take with me on my Caminos in my backpack and take it with me as carry-on luggage. Ain't taking no more risks after my luggage was lost a couple of years ago, my Camino gear in it :lol: Best, xm 8)

When you're served bread with your evening meal, stash some in a napkin so you've got more grub to eat while your out on the open road.
:lol: I thought I was the only one that did this :!:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked with a woman who wrapped duct tape around her trekking poles in case she needed it. When it rained for 10 days straight the wind tore my poncho (a cheap one) in the seam at the back of the neck. I had icy cold rain running down my back. We used the tape as a quick fix until I could buy another poncho. I thought it was a great idea to put it on her poles because it didn't take any room in her backpack.

Like the duct tape idea - will do.

I have packed my stuff in net bags (the sort they sell for laundry) - doesn't crackle AT ALL and I have customised them to fit my clothes so they act as compression sacks too (one each for spare sets - plus three small ones for underwear and towels) . I'm very pleased with myself. Not waterproof of course"

"stealing from bars" - ???!!! - sorry to be wet blanket but I don't agree with stealing anything from anywhere. I'm not a bit religious but it seems even worse to be stealing on a 'pilgrimage'. Like stealing from a charity shop - I know someone who works voluntarily in a charity shop and they are plagued with shoplifters - some quite blatant - because of their charity status they can't do anything to stop it (to do with insurance I think). I have heard people justify stealing from multinational coporations but how can people justify stealing from a charity shop?

xm,
Unfortunately I couldn't manage with just a carry-on when I made
my camino trip,(May-June 06),as I was staying on in Spain until the October, in the Salamanca area,one of my favourite cities,so I left my
non-camino gear there!
Otherwise, like you I'm a great believer in carry-on,when I can get
away with it. It's a great time saver at port of arrival as well as knowing
you've got all your worldlies with you!! all best to you,Les.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
PEI-les, I still check in my "regular," "normal," clothing in a small bag. I like to change clothes asap when I get to Compostela. I just take everything I use on my Caminos aboard with me. Best, xm 8)

Hmm...Interesting analysis, Windeatt. I see it from a diff perspective: included in what I pay for my cafe con leche + madalenas + .... r: the three pieces of (toilet) paper I may take + my left over bread. Best, xm 8)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.