• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Tigger Tip - a lacing lesson

T

Tigger

I know I am a newbie, but I have just learned a very good lesson which I would like to share.

Shoes that lace...I don't care what kind...

when you go into a shop or try them at home, COMPLETELY undo all the laces ( not take them out just loosen them right down to the bottom (especially the bottom) and put your foot first into a completely open shoe, for an initial judging of length and width.

THEN start to lace them.

I had previously fallen into the trap of only unlacing enough to put my foot in and on some shoes this meant I thought them too narrow. This is especially true if your shoes, like my Merrell Moabs and some of the light weight shoes have soft uppers. I noticed that the uppers were creased in this area, under the laces, being laced too tight and no wonder they seemed too narrow They were factory laced quite tight and although initially comfortable I was having toe room issues. Imagine my delight when I unlaced the shoe to almost bare and relaced them properly. They now fit perfectly and I saved myself the expense of possibly getting another shoe that was going to be too wide for me OR repeating the error, just through this simple measure. It also means I can lace the centre and upper laces tighter to stop my foot moving into the toe for downhills. I really am simple and stupid sometimes!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you for this information. It will be of great benefit to me. Nice post, Tigger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmmm @Tigger not sure your lesson bodes well. I learned from experience, because Merrell Moabs were just one of my expensive wrong choices, that they have a removable inner sole. If this is still the case, my advice would be to take both inner soles out, place them on the floor and step on them. How much room is left around the edges once your feet are placed on the inner soles? When I did that there was hardly any space. No wonder they didn't work for me. There needs to be enough space, particularly in the toebox to allow for your feet to swell.

Hmmm @Tigger not sure your lesson bodes well. I learned from experience, because Merrell Moabs were just one of my expensive wrong choices, that they have a removable inner sole. If this is still the case, my advice would be to take both inner soles out, place them on the floor and step on them. How much room is left around the edges once your feet are placed on the inner soles? When I did that there was hardly any space. No wonder they didn't work for me. There needs to be enough space, particularly in the toebox to allow for your feet to swell.
How funny you should mention that!

I have walked kms in Merrell with the innersole provided. Because of all the above, I bought expensive new inner soles...I have now re-instated the original inner soles as preferred after I sorted out the other problems...with socks included in the equation.

I know I am a newbie, but I have just learned a very good lesson which I would like to share.

when you go into a shop or try them at home, COMPLETELY undo all the laces ( not take them out just loosen them right down to the bottom (especially the bottom) and put your foot first into a completely open shoe, for an initial judging of length and width.

THEN start to lace them.

I had previously fallen into the trap of only unlacing enough to put my foot in and on some shoes this meant I thought them too narrow. This is especially true if your shoes, like my Merrell Moabs and some of the light weight shoes have soft uppers. I noticed that the uppers were creased in this area, under the laces, being laced too tight and no wonder they seemed too narrow They were factory laced quite tight and although initially comfortable I was having toe room issues. Imagine my delight when I unlaced the shoe to almost bare and relaced them properly. They now fit perfectly and I saved myself the expense of possibly getting another shoe that was going to be too wide for me OR repeating the error, just through this simple measure. It also means I can lace the centre and upper laces tighter to stop my foot moving into the toe for downhills. I really am simple and stupid sometimes!
Here is a good photo showing several options for lacing up. Screenshot_2016-02-01-16-19-05.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tigger Tips,
Laces, you didn't cover color coordinating laces with shoes, boots, ropa interior, and backpack for a pulled together pilgrim ensemble: for shame.
Give me time once we sort out our foot issues, Sweetpea!
In actual fact I am about to post about how 'the lovelies', can still wear jewellery on Camino!

THEN start to lace them.

Thank you for sharing this particular tip Tigger.......sounds to be a very good idea. I am off to buy a new pair of trainers in the next few days and will definitely be trying this unlacing method.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.