A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

A time constraint

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

findelmundo

Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Frances in 2016
I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in August/Sep 2016 and it was a great experience. I am planning to do this September the section from St Jean Pied de Fort to Leon but am limited to 16 days. Owing to the time constraint I realize some sections would need to be curtailed from my itinerary. I would appreciate suggestions from the Forum a selection of the 'must-do' sections. Thanks.

Shazenalan

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2018
Last year We met an amazing young lady who had planned her route using s red and green pen - indicating ‘must do’ and ‘boring, get the bus instead’ sections. We walked all of it and found nothing boring at all. I make no judgement at all of her approach here - just highlighting that its all in the eye of the beholder. Buen camino.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in August/Sep 2016 and it was a great experience. I am planning to do this September the section from St Jean Pied de Fort to Leon but am limited to 16 days. Owing to the time constraint I realize some sections would need to be curtailed from my itinerary. I would appreciate suggestions from the Forum a selection of the 'must-do' sections. Thanks.
My son and I walked from Leon to Santiago in 2015, and then from SJPP to Burgos in 2016, then from Burgos to Leon this past year's Holy Week and Easter. You don't have to end up in Santiago at the end, but you can take the train or bus from your ending point if you want to. -- I also walked in France from Le Puy to Conques...

findelmundo

Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Frances in 2016
Exactly what I was going to suggest too.

All of it is 'must do'!

Davey
Thanks for the many replies. A good suggestion to do whatever feasible and leave uncovered sections for another time. Perhaps but Australia is a long way from the Camino.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Last year We met an amazing young lady who had planned her route using s red and green pen - indicating ‘must do’ and ‘boring, get the bus instead’ sections. We walked all of it and found nothing boring at all. I make no judgement at all of her approach here - just highlighting that its all in the eye of the beholder. Buen camino.
Ahead of time you never know if what you thought would be 'must do' (or not) really was - that only comes clear in retrospect. And the places that might sound 'boring' can be the most profoundly moving: people who bus over the meseta are missing the soul of the camino.
So I land on the side of just go and see how far you get. The continuity is worth it - when you take a bus it disrupts that. Besides, being asked to choose what stages to leave out is like being asked which child one likes least. ;)

One thing to mention is that SJPP is a totally arbitrary starting point. Most Spanish pilgrims start in Pamplona, which shaves of 3 or 4 days, and gives you the balance of both continuity and a lot more leeway.
Oz is a long way away, so why not bit off a chunk that you can more comfortably walk?

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%