• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A time constraint

findelmundo

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the Camino Frances in 2016
I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in August/Sep 2016 and it was a great experience. I am planning to do this September the section from St Jean Pied de Fort to Leon but am limited to 16 days. Owing to the time constraint I realize some sections would need to be curtailed from my itinerary. I would appreciate suggestions from the Forum a selection of the 'must-do' sections. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Last year We met an amazing young lady who had planned her route using s red and green pen - indicating ‘must do’ and ‘boring, get the bus instead’ sections. We walked all of it and found nothing boring at all. I make no judgement at all of her approach here - just highlighting that its all in the eye of the beholder. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in August/Sep 2016 and it was a great experience. I am planning to do this September the section from St Jean Pied de Fort to Leon but am limited to 16 days. Owing to the time constraint I realize some sections would need to be curtailed from my itinerary. I would appreciate suggestions from the Forum a selection of the 'must-do' sections. Thanks.

My son and I walked from Leon to Santiago in 2015, and then from SJPP to Burgos in 2016, then from Burgos to Leon this past year's Holy Week and Easter. You don't have to end up in Santiago at the end, but you can take the train or bus from your ending point if you want to. -- I also walked in France from Le Puy to Conques...

Exactly what I was going to suggest too.

All of it is 'must do'!

Davey
Thanks for the many replies. A good suggestion to do whatever feasible and leave uncovered sections for another time. Perhaps but Australia is a long way from the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year We met an amazing young lady who had planned her route using s red and green pen - indicating ‘must do’ and ‘boring, get the bus instead’ sections. We walked all of it and found nothing boring at all. I make no judgement at all of her approach here - just highlighting that its all in the eye of the beholder. Buen camino.
Ahead of time you never know if what you thought would be 'must do' (or not) really was - that only comes clear in retrospect. And the places that might sound 'boring' can be the most profoundly moving: people who bus over the meseta are missing the soul of the camino.
So I land on the side of just go and see how far you get. The continuity is worth it - when you take a bus it disrupts that. Besides, being asked to choose what stages to leave out is like being asked which child one likes least. ;)

One thing to mention is that SJPP is a totally arbitrary starting point. Most Spanish pilgrims start in Pamplona, which shaves of 3 or 4 days, and gives you the balance of both continuity and a lot more leeway.
Oz is a long way away, so why not bit off a chunk that you can more comfortably walk?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back