• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A timely warning

adrianm4492

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Mar-Apr 2017, Jan-Feb 2019
Hello again. I said in my last post (you'll be pleased to know the Bot fly infestation is over) that I would post again from the Camino if I had anything to say and I think this might be a timely warning for anyone about to start walking soon.

The way to and from Roncesvalles is feet deep in snow. I know this is nothing new but it's really heavy at the moment. And it's supposed to stay bad for the rest of the week. I even had a local television crew interview me today about the severity of the weather as I was limping like Igor into Zubiri. I must have scared some people off their supper if they put it to air!

I stopped in Valcarlos on the first day and was thankful for it. The first day was just persistent rain but the second day we hit blizzards. I was sinking a foot and a half into the snow ( hey I'm a heavy guy!) and walking the last couple of hours in driving snow. I really struggled and twice I was on short steep inclines covered with snow and I didn't know how to get to the top.

Coming out of Roncesvalles I (and everyone else) took the road the whole way. This makes the walk longer because of switchbacks as well as being hard on the feet. And there were some scary moments with cars and trucks (which side should I be walking on?) but there was really no choice.

But I highly recommend taking the road into Roncesvalles too. The snow sneaks up on you because you're walking up into it slowly. Once you're in the snowline it's sort of too late. Find the road quickly once you're in the snow.

This may seem like reckless advice as walking on the road in the snow is like playing cat and mouse with the traffic but if I had my time again I would definitely follow the road coming into Roncesvalles.

Just a couple of other tips from a guy who has never done any serious walking in the snow.
1/ If you have walking poles use them, and if you don't have them get some. Don't be stubborn and wait till you're trapped on a slope covered in slippery snow in a blizzard before ceding and getting it out. They are vital in this snow.
2/ If you've invested hundreds in a top of the line raincoat don't leave the waterproof pockets open in a blizzard. Der!
3/ Get a good poncho. A top of the range raincoat keeps the wet out beautifully but it only protects what it covers. Snow still goes down your back and wets your straps and pockets of your backpack. I will be investing in one in pamplona. Four days too late.
That's about it. Oh be careful with your feet. It's basically impossible to keep your feet dry and walking downhill with wet socks is a recipe for disaster. Says he who is nursing two potentially nasty blisters on the soles of his feet! Winter walking has had its challenges but God its been beautiful walking in a winter wonderland.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello again. I said in my last post (you'll be pleased to know the Bot fly infestation is over) that I would post again from the Camino if I had anything to say and I think this might be a timely warning for anyone about to start walking soon.

The way to and from Roncesvalles is feet deep in snow. I know this is nothing new but it's really heavy at the moment. And it's supposed to stay bad for the rest of the week. I even had a local television crew interview me today about the severity of the weather as I was limping like Igor into Zubiri. I must have scared some people off their supper if they put it to air!

I stopped in Valcarlos on the first day and was thankful for it. The first day was just persistent rain but the second day we hit blizzards. I was sinking a foot and a half into the snow ( hey I'm a heavy guy!) and walking the last couple of hours in driving snow. I really struggled and twice I was on short steep inclines covered with snow and I didn't know how to get to the top.

Coming out of Roncesvalles I (and everyone else) took the road the whole way. This makes the walk longer because of switchbacks as well as being hard on the feet. And there were some scary moments with cars and trucks (which side should I be walking on?) but there was really no choice.

But I highly recommend taking the road into Roncesvalles too. The snow sneaks up on you because you're walking up into it slowly. Once you're in the snowline it's sort of too late. Find the road quickly once you're in the snow.

This may seem like reckless advice as walking on the road in the snow is like playing cat and mouse with the traffic but if I had my time again I would definitely follow the road coming into Roncesvalles.

Just a couple of other tips from a guy who has never done any serious walking in the snow.
1/ If you have walking poles use them, and if you don't have them get some. Don't be stubborn and wait till you're trapped on a slope covered in slippery snow in a blizzard before ceding and getting it out. They are vital in this snow.
2/ If you've invested hundreds in a top of the line raincoat don't leave the waterproof pockets open in a blizzard. Der!
3/ Get a good poncho. A top of the range raincoat keeps the wet out beautifully but it only protects what it covers. Snow still goes down your back and wets your straps and pockets of your backpack. I will be investing in one in pamplona. Four days too late.
That's about it. Oh be careful with your feet. It's basically impossible to keep your feet dry and walking downhill with wet socks is a recipe for disaster. Says he who is nursing two potentially nasty blisters on the soles of his feet! Winter walking has had its challenges but God its been beautiful walking in a winter wonderland.
Sorry to hear of your woes. Last year I bought a Ferrino rain poncho jacket which covers me and my pack in St. Jean pricey but well worth it.... it stops the rain and snow going between your pack and down your back....I am thankful I did as it rained the firs two weeks non stop and we had some snow too on that same pass. The pIlgrims office recommended the road as well to Roncesvalles and this was 1 April. And by the way I called it Holy hell Zubiri. Hahahah ;)... stay warm and dry...wish you the very best Buen Camino. Poles are the best I would not go without them :)

I know that road from Roncesvalles. Glad to know you survived it. Mind yourself tomorrow and for as long as the snow is around. your last sentence tells us that you are still able to find the stars instead of the puddles, long may it continue. Thanks for keeping your word, and posting. For those whose caminos are not yet in the calendar, it is good to follow those who are on the way...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A great post, often wonder about those who walk at this time of year. As for pack covering ponchos, well I used to be one who discounted them, but after a wet pack even with a pack cover; wet/damp sleeping bag I will re think my position. Stay safe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Stay safe, our prayers with you as you journey on. Buen Camino

Glad you are safe! Walking the stretch into and out of Zubiri with flooding April 2018 was bad enough that we, too, were forced to the roads; I can't imagine how tricky the snow is making things for you! Hope your feet heal up and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Early to mid-April - due to heavy snow we had no choice but to take the Valcarlos route. If I recall correctly this was just coming out of the woods onto the road between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. We were then on the road for a short while, saw the trail heading back into the woods, but figured it was foolhardy to go back into the woods, so we continued to Roncesvalles on the road. We ran into a blinding blizzard before we saw a bit of blue sky at the Ibañeta Pass.

The next morning soon after we left Roncesvalles we met a sandal-clad fellow, from Florida, walking in the snow. He said he had "no idea it would be so difficult." He stopped off in Burguete, and we didn't see him again.

Early to mid-April - due to heavy snow we had no choice but to take the Valcarlos route. If I recall correctly this was just coming out of the woods onto the road between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. We were then on the road for a short while, saw the trail heading back into the woods, but figured it was foolhardy to go back into the woods, so we continued to Roncesvalles on the road. We ran into a blinding blizzard before we saw a bit of blue sky at the Ibañeta Pass.

The next morning soon after we left Roncesvalles we met a sandal-clad fellow, from Florida, walking in the snow. He said he had "no idea it would be so difficult." He stopped off in Burguete, and we didn't see him again.

View attachment 51588View attachment 51588View attachment 51589View attachment 51589
Wonderful photo. Did you cloud the face of the person behind? If so, I would like to know how. It respects privacy for unwitting subjects in photos.

Wonderful photo. Did you cloud the face of the person behind? If so, I would like to know how. It respects privacy for unwitting subjects in photos.
Thank you, but I can't take credit for the pic as I didn't take it, and I don't know if the person who took it clouded that person's face before she sent the pic to me.. However, your query is a good reminder that we need to be mindful of other persons' privacy.

(As to the clouding, I've managed to do that myself on a couple of occasions, but only after much mucking around. I believe I did it under 'edit' in the Photos application on my desktop. If you Google 'How to ....." you might get some help there.) :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, but I can't take credit for the pic as I didn't take it, and I don't know if the person who took it clouded that person's face before she sent the pic to me.. However, your query is a good reminder that we need to be mindful of other persons' privacy.

(As to the clouding, I've managed to do that myself on a couple of occasions, but only after much mucking around. I believe I did it under 'edit' in the Photos application on my desktop. If you Google 'How to ....." you might get some help there.) :)
thanks, yes, that has occurred to me. I will get to it later, because it is important, unless we check out with others we are not respecting their privacy...

Sorry, but this sounds very reckless, and you are extremely lucky you didn't get frostbite or worse. Unless one has extensive experience walking in winter conditions, one should not be doing this, basta.

I am starting on 2nd April and I am really concerned will I be able for walk from st jean to ronchevalle - I suppose nearer the time I will know what weather to expect ,? I am 72 years one and relatively fit - not by any means super fit??? Thank you to all in this forum for wonderful insights I to what walking camino is like

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting on 2nd April and I am really concerned will I be able for walk from st jean to ronchevalle - I suppose nearer the time I will know what weather to expect ,? I am 72 years one and relatively fit - not by any means super fit??? Thank you to all in this forum for wonderful insights I to what walking camino is like
Maura, if by your own admission you are relatively fit, trust yourself. It is highly unlikely you will be alone, and so you will be able to count on others if there is any difficult moment. April is a bit away yet, so keep up with the prep, and be sure to let us alll know when you have reach Roncesvalles!

A suggestion if one is to use hiking poles in snow is to get baskets for the end of the poles. They ensure the poles stay on top of the snow and not go into the snow. The baskets help eliminate a small bit of the slog through snow. Basically they are snow shoes for pacer poles!

Attachments

• Baskets for hiking poles.png
    Baskets for hiking poles.png
    514.1 KB · Views: 7
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you'll be fine, but watch the weather, and remember, there's no rush to get to Roncevalles - leave early, but take your time, and hopefully, walk with other people, just in case. Listen to your body and stop if you need to, or take the alternate route. When in doubt, start in Roncevalles, like the Spanish!

Hi, you didn't say which route you hope to take but, given the day you plan to start, like us, you may have no choice but to take the Valcarlos route as there still may be snow, or worse, at higher elevations. We started out at 1100 from Valcarlos with wet snow falling and immediately fell in with pilgrims who had started in St. Jean earlier that morning and who were walking straight through to Roncesvalles. (We had much admiration for them.) We didn't run into actual snow on the ground until sometime later when we started to climb uphill. After that it was just an adventure, and we got to Roncesvalles well before dark.

What I am saying is that you need not feel you have to walk straight through from St. Jean to Roncesvalles; you can stop over in Valcarlos. All the best 😊😊

It seems the one important safety question has not been addressed so, please let me help.

When walking on the roads in Spain, first identify what side of the road is used. In Spain, they drive on the right so, to ensure full visibility of oncoming traffic, a person is best to walk on the far left side of the road. When cars approach, you can and should make eye contact, every time.

So, in the UK, driving on the left, walk to the far right of the roadway.

Be careful and grow some eyes in the back of your head. 🆒

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems the one important safety question has not been addressed so, please let me help.

When walking on the roads in Spain, first identify what side of the road is used. In Spain, they drive on the right so, to ensure full visibility of oncoming traffic, a person is best to walk on the far left side of the road. When cars approach, you can and should make eye contact, every time.

So, in the UK, driving on the left, walk to the far right of the roadway.

Be careful and grow some eyes in the back of your head. 🆒
You are right; walk facing oncoming traffic. However, when you are approaching a blind curve in the road, and you can't see approaching traffic, and oncoming traffic can't see you, it is best to cross the road and negotiate the curve on the outside. This way both you and oncoming traffic can see each other. Crossing the road, and then re-crossing when it's safe to do so can be tricky, but it's still the safest way to negotiate a blind curve. As I recall there's at least one such blind curve on the road between Valcarlos and Ibañeta where crossing the road, and then re-crossing afterwards, was necessary.

That's when eyes at the back of your head come in handy. 😊

BTW there were several of us walking on the road that day in the snowstorm and it was heartwarming to be on the receiving end of all the encouragement from the passing drivers and occupants in their cars. Even little kids were calling out encouragement to us and giving us the thumbs up.

Fantastic Post. Great Info...Good luck the rest of the way...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Adrian, would love another update (doing a winter camino at the end of the year :))

Sorry, but this sounds very reckless, and you are extremely lucky you didn't get frostbite or worse. Unless one has extensive experience walking in winter conditions, one should not be doing this, basta.
I disagree. Many people walk and camp safely in snow throughout the world. Make sure you have the proper equipment, a gps safety beacon, notify authorites or hospitaleros of your departure and arrival and it could be safe. Difficult and requiring extensive preparation and training in the same conditions. Without all of these, no you shouldn't go.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We actually agree: "Difficult and requiring extensive preparation and training in the same conditions. Without all of these, no you shouldn't go."
I disagree. Many people walk and camp safely in snow throughout the world. Make sure you have the proper equipment, a gps safety beacon, notify authorites or hospitaleros of your departure and arrival and it could be safe. Difficult and requiring extensive preparation and training in the same conditions. Without all of these, no you shouldn't go.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back