• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A training schedule that suits me...

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
On April 8th I begin the Camino Portuguese, from Porto through to Santiago. I've been training now for some time, and taking detailed notes.

I'm comparing these notes to my training notes at the same time last year - before I walked the Camino Frances. It's fascinating comparing the two sets of notes and seeing how I'm approaching things differently this year.

For a start, I'm more relaxed. Having walked a Camino, I'm not now as anxious as I was this time last year. Last year I was scared I wouldn't be fit enough, and that I wouldn't make it. And so I trained hard. Too hard - because my knee gave out on me early into my walk last year.

This year I'm taking it easier. Admittedly the Portuguese isn't as physically demanding, however I think my changed attitude has to do with fear. This year I'm not fearful of a long walk.

Here is my training schedule:

12 weeks -
First 2 weeks, about 40kms a week - slow and easy.
Next 4 weeks, increasing distance to 50-70 kms a week. Towards the end of this 4 wk period, doing a couple of 28km walks on the weekend. No hill work yet. And without pack.
Next 4 weeks - mix of road walking and mountain hikes. Will start to walk with pack, starting off with 5kgs, then build to 10kgs. Distance about 70-90kms a week
Last 2 weeks - start to ease off - a couple of mountain hikes, all with pack now. And a couple of 30km walks. Making sure I do a little each day, to keep the body ticking over.

Training is very personal, according to age, core fitness, prior injuries etc. This works for me.

Bill Bennett

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bill -

Do you think that you retained a residual fitness level for your walk of the Frances last Spring? I was thinking that perhaps that is also making it easier this time around.

B

We find our fitness level soon drops off if we do not walk at all. The recent weather here has kept us on short walks, some very short and not as often as normal. We did our up and down hill 13km circuit today with full packs and it went well. Some residual fitness obviously, but we were slower than the previous occasion. Bill you are walking about twice as far as we expect to 15kms is our aim and build up to 4 or 5 times a week with a mix of that and shorter walks (7-10kms). Good luck with your current training and buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This past month some of our walking has been limited to about 2kms becasue of the appalling weather, with one or two 7kms when possible and no walking at all some days. Yesterday we did our 13kms circuit with full packs. So basically any walking is better than no walking and if there has been a prolonged period of 'no walking' then build up the distances over a few days again. We didn't try to go straight from the 2kms to the 13kms. The younger you are the longer fitness levels last/the quicker they are restored. When you get older fitness fades quicker and can take twice as long to restore.
We aim to be able to walk at least 3/4 of the distance we would need to cover on the Camino in a final practise walks. This means 13kms is a good guide for us; our first day this year will be 15kms so it should be OK.

Edit:-
Adding this photo from yesterday; The deer ran out of the bushes near the road, stopped to look at us before running on again. Then one stopped to look back through the hedge. Fantastic.

Attachments

• running deer.jpg
    running deer.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 16
  • deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We have started our training in earnest (leaving in two months).
We got a map of the ranges where we live that has all the trails marked on it and picked out a range of increasingly difficult ones to "tick off". Being a bit of a free spirit we managed two weeks of the plan and today just picked the route we wanted to do, not the one that our schedule said we should do! It was only 7.5km, but it was on trails more demanding than any we found between Astorga and Santiago (lots of tree roots to negotiate and fallen trees to clamber over - and about 400m elevation gain). Full packs and 27degrees which is hot for a kiwi;-) and 90% humidity. We aim for a short hike on Mondays (although this week's lasted 3 hours because I didn't read the description properly!), a longer hike on Fridays and a 20ish km one at the weekend. In between the kids have paper runs that take them 5km. As we get closer to the time we will add in some 10-15km walks round our local block - but all the rest are in the bush/forest/woods. The children are being inspired by the thought that when they have achieved 30km we will walk to El Sizzling Chorizo and eat empanadas!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings to all,
Imdecided tomwalk the Camino Frances last August, and have been training ever since as I was not in shape. I am up to 16 miles 2x a week, and wondering what would be best for the next 6 weeks as I leave Texas on May 6. I am carrying about 20 pounds in my pack, and gave weeded out most of the things I don't need, but maybe still would like. Any suggestions are welcomed as I am in uncharted territory right now. I am very excited about my trip and look forward to it with glee and a happy heart. Thanks to all in advance.

Remember, a Camino is mostly an everyday experience. My training week would have one 16 mile day, two 10 mile days and three 7 mile days. Then a rest day. The next week add one mile to each day ......keep going until departure day. A couple of days rest before starting is good. I am scheduling a massage a day or so before I leave again for another Camino in August 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodness, when I read about all that exhausting training I need a good lie down.

Are you people planning to be in shape and to actually ENJOY the first couple of weeks? No, no, no - this is all about suffering and penance....

Be like me -

I get on the cross-trainer and watch YouTube compilations of other people walking the Camino.

Sometimes I walk to the coffee shop.

A massage sounds a good idea. Also a bit of meditation. Prayers are helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually, Kanga, being in sufficient shape so not to break down with injuries and blisters in the first 10 days, must be a Northern Hemisphere characteristic. I don't recall meeting anyone from down under who didn't just happily breeze along. It must be your great climate and active life style. For those of us coming out of 3 months of sub-zero weather some preparation is necessary...as well as a prayer or two of course.
This is a Kiwi I met, Janet, who asked me with a tone of indignation in her voice, "...I bet they don't ask you how old YOU are?
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1395143832.705000.jpg

On April 8th I begin the Camino Portuguese, from Porto through to Santiago. I've been training now for some time, and taking detailed notes.

I'm comparing these notes to my training notes at the same time last year - before I walked the Camino Frances. It's fascinating comparing the two sets of notes and seeing how I'm approaching things differently this year.

For a start, I'm more relaxed. Having walked a Camino, I'm not now as anxious as I was this time last year. Last year I was scared I wouldn't be fit enough, and that I wouldn't make it. And so I trained hard. Too hard - because my knee gave out on me early into my walk last year.

This year I'm taking it easier. Admittedly the Portuguese isn't as physically demanding, however I think my changed attitude has to do with fear. This year I'm not fearful of a long walk.

Here is my training schedule:

12 weeks -
First 2 weeks, about 40kms a week - slow and easy.
Next 4 weeks, increasing distance to 50-70 kms a week. Towards the end of this 4 wk period, doing a couple of 28km walks on the weekend. No hill work yet. And without pack.
Next 4 weeks - mix of road walking and mountain hikes. Will start to walk with pack, starting off with 5kgs, then build to 10kgs. Distance about 70-90kms a week
Last 2 weeks - start to ease off - a couple of mountain hikes, all with pack now. And a couple of 30km walks. Making sure I do a little each day, to keep the body ticking over.

Training is very personal, according to age, core fitness, prior injuries etc. This works for me.

Bill Bennett
May I ask your age?

Hi Johnny - yes, I was a few months shy of 60 when I prepared for the Camino Frances. I found the training useful not only in a physical sense, but also it gave me emotional strength. There were times when I looked ahead and saw a mountain or a very high hill, and I knew from my training that I'd done that before, and so I could do it again. What I learned from the Camino is that the physical is only half the issue - the other half is your mind, and your attitude. And, dare I say it, subjugating your ego! :)

Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Johnny - yes, I was a few months shy of 60 when I prepared for the Camino Frances. I found the training useful not only in a physical sense, but also it gave me emotional strength. There were times when I looked ahead and saw a mountain or a very high hill, and I knew from my training that I'd done that before, and so I could do it again. What I learned from the Camino is that the physical is only half the issue - the other half is your mind, and your attitude. And, dare I say it, subjugating your ego! :)

Bill
Thanks Bill.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.