• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A typical day?

paulspencer

Hi,
It's probably been asked loads of times
from reading several posts people seem to be setting off very early in the morning
Some walking 30K a day

I get the picture that for everyone the day is diffrent
but
What does a typical day look like?
When do most people set off?
How far do "older" people like me walk?
At what time do most people finish walking?

I've been youth hostelling in the Uk, when I was younger (a lot younger :D )
Any advice
Best wishes
Paul Spencer

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Paul,
Walk, wash, eat, sleep. Walk, wash, eat, sleep!
Woken up by pilgrims stirring, plastic bags and torchlight flickering through the dorm - time? usually between 5am and 7am.
Use the bathroom, dress, pack your backpack
If available, have breakfast. If you have brought your own coffee/tea, make a hot drink. Some albergues have vending machines that provide this sevice.
Check again under the bed for anything left behind.
Hit the road Jack!
Walk until you find an open cafe-bar to have breakfast and/or just a cafe con leche and something to eat.
Walk until you find somewhere to have lunch - usually a bocadillo con jamon or queso (bread roll with ham or cheese).
Arrive at the albergue - perhaps after 6 - 8 hours walking.
Check in, find a bed, spread your sleeping bag on it, leave your backpack next to it, find the showers and laundy tubs (if any!) wash body and clothes. Sightsee, go to mass, find dinner, - often a Menu del Pergrino for 8 - 10 euro, brush teeth, sleep.
Roll me over, let's begin and do it again!

Wake up
Pack remainder of kit
Brush teeth
Put boots on
Walk and eat
mid morning break
walk a bit more...
Finish
Eat a bit
have a wander about
shower
sleep for a bit.
eat a bit more.
pack most of my kit.
wash
sleep.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would add something ...

- talk with other pilgrims ...
- talk with hospitaleros ...
- talk with old people in little towns ...

All of them always have something interesting to say

... the same as you ...

And, language not always is a problem to connect with others.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi
I think You ask because You're concern about Your ability to cope with Camino regime.
Rule number one: Camino is for You and everything will go exactly how do You want. Stick to it.
Of course You'll be between people who walk whole day and rest at night so my advice is: In albergue try to be as quiet as You can. Don't go sleep to late and don't get up to early.
Smile to the people. It always help.
Buen Camino
Andy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One more thing.
If You're coffee lover don't use wending machines. Liquid they sell (for the price of decent coffee in the bar) doesn't ever remind coffee. Best idea is: buy instant coffee sachets for albergues where is the kitchen or just wait few kilometers until You find the opened bar.

Yes, Andy, I agree.

Go to sleep at the same time as everyone, and wake up when most pilgrims. Mobile phone in silence. No alarm clock, and silence during the night. Pilgrims have to rest and sleep in silence.

But, I disagree with pilgrims who are sleeping at 8:00 pm, these are who want to wake up at 04:00 am!!

And, when I'm alone in a albergue - in other caminos differents to CF - I wake up when the day is getting up, to obtain the maximum profit of it!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Walk only as far as you feel like walking. Don't feel like you have to walk 30k/day to be a "real" pilgrim. Chances are, you are going to catch up to those guys in a few days because their feet are so bad they can't walk any further.

But, yeah, the schedule is the same:
Get up, walk, eat, walk, eat, walk, find the albergue, settle in, nibble on snacks, take a bath, wash clothes, SIESTA!!!, get up, eat dinner, hang with fellow peregrinos, write your journal, hit the hay, sleep, wake up.

I did find that I was sleeping through almost anything, such as people getting up super-early. The only thing that did wake me early after a certain point was the Olympic gymnast bouncing around in the bunk above me. Bag rustling? Snoring? no problem. Bouncing around on the bed? Problem. Ah well, he left early anyway, so I got some rest after he finally left.

On edit: I usually didn't leave until the sun was coming up. I don't like walking in the dark & my night vision is horrible despite the vast number of carrots that I eat. :)

Take it all in stride. It's your Camino. :)

dg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After showering, washing clothes and sorting our gear for the next day. we regularly gave foot massages in the albergues. Marion and I each took 200ml of Arnica oil and two small camp towels. We often had pilgrims queuing for a foot massage. I seemed to get the Italian men - Marion seemed to get the ladies! Sometimes pilgrims wanted to pay us!

PS: There is nothing erotic about massaging hot, scaly, blistered, swollen feet!!

Attachments

• Marion & Sue from Australia.jpg
    Marion & Sue from Australia.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 850
They say, that 18th of august is the best date Sil.

And by the way- if you get there on that 18th- I'll be there waiting for a foot massage;)

No, seriously- are you planning any walking soon?

Take care.
Kuba.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Next year in June/July - Camino Aragones - just follow the smell of Arnica oil!!

When I've stayed in Ponferrada this Year there were two gentlemen who gave massages and treat blisters and other injuries for free. Also in Estella is Red Cross place where You can seek for help. The people are fantastic.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back