• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a vegan pilgrim.....problem?

ajp

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-October (2009), Sept-Oct (2013)
I am starting my second camino in September /13. Since walking the camino in 2009, I have become a vegan. I ate everything and anything last time out, now as a vegan, I am expecting some new challenges in finding food and some variety ( salads are great but can be monotonous if that is all there is). Has anyone who is vegan walked the camino recently and give me some comments or suggestions? Thanks.

AlanP

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
NoQ: Thanks for that information, I have just spent some time checking out that Happy Cow website and it is excellent!

Alan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrims are from Mars and Vegans are from Goodness only knows where. Most Spanish vegetable soups have a nice chunk of pork fatback to add flavor, this small chunk of meat is not considered meat when you make soup - a problem for vegans and we Jewish pilgrims; Spanish omelet - onions tomatoes perhaps peppers but maybe just maybe cooked in lard so it won't stick to the pan; bacala, the ubiquitous and expensive cod often cooked with just a bit a tiny amount of bacon, if you don't cook for you don't cook for yourself well forget about vegan the Spanish are not less than forthright, the North American mind is incomprehensible to them-try ordering decaff coffee with soy milk.

Scruffy 1- a vegan or plant based diet does not include diary products or fish so the ubiquitous Tortilla española will not work. Ensalada mixta will also be a problem unless you tell them no eggs or tuna but then you will miss a protein source.

Cooking on your own will be the best bet- I always had a can of garbanzos with me and would pick up fresh salad fixings along the way, nuts, etc. The lentil soup is wonderful but as Scruffy 1 mentioned the Spanish often throw in ham or sausage for the flavor. When I was a hospitalera in Grañón we made two versions, one for the vegans/vegetarians. The meat eaters were surprised how tasty my version was!

I am not strict when traveling and will eat dairy products so I would say that you will have to do some planning.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

I'm neither a vegetarian nor a vegan myself, but I have cooked for them several times (soy-free !! I hate the stuff), and I think you'll mostly have not many problems.

Though, hmmmmm, simply for a question of protein, you might want to consider going vegetarian rather than vegan on the Camino. There are many albergues where you will be able to cook yourself a fully vegetable meal, and many protein-rich vegetables are very popular and therefore easily found in Spain, but your muscles will be VERY hungry for protein, so that you might want to relax your standards in favour of some dairy and especially eggs ; both for breakfast purposes and for the ubiquitous protein-rich tortillas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm neither a vegetarian nor a vegan myself, but I have cooked for them several times (soy-free !! I hate the stuff), and I think you'll mostly have not many problems.

Though, hmmmmm, simply for a question of protein, you might want to consider going vegetarian rather than vegan on the Camino. There are many albergues where you will be able to cook yourself a fully vegetable meal, and many protein-rich vegetables are very popular and therefore easily found in Spain, but your muscles will be VERY hungry for protein, so that you might want to relax your standards in favour of some dairy and especially eggs ; both for breakfast purposes and for the ubiquitous protein-rich tortillas.

Believing that a PURE vegan diet is low in protein has been debunked a long time ago. Too much protein on the other hand is a real problem. I think this post is not on giving nutritional advice to vegans or telling us to RELAX our beliefs but rather helping us to find places where we can eat or what meals are typically like.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Scruffy 1- a vegan or plant based diet does not include diary products or fish so the ubiquitous Tortilla española will not work. Ensalada mixta will also be a problem unless you tell them no eggs or tuna but then you will miss a protein source.

Cooking on your own will be the best bet- I always had a can of garbanzos with me and would pick up fresh salad fixings along the way, nuts, etc. The lentil soup is wonderful but as Scruffy 1 mentioned the Spanish often throw in ham or sausage for the flavor. When I was a hospitalera in Grañón we made two versions, one for the vegans/vegetarians. The meat eaters were surprised how tasty my version was!

I am not strict when traveling and will eat dairy products so I would say that you will have to do some planning.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks! I love garbonzo beans! And I am sure rice is a plenty too! And Salads. I plan on doing a lot of my own meal preps...

Hi Alan

If you haven't already done so, check out this great series of videos made by 3 vegan pilgrims during their Camino in winter this year.

There are also a few places that understand veganism to eat at along the way. Some albergues, such as in Pieros, Hospital de Orbigo and La Faba.

You can also find places along the way through the brilliant Happy Cow website. http://www.happycow.net/

Buen Camino

Thanks for the great links! I will check them out!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Believing that a PURE vegan diet is low in protein has been debunked a long time ago. Too much protein on the other hand is a real problem. I think this post is not on giving nutritional advice to vegans or telling us to RELAX our beliefs but rather helping us to find places where we can eat or what meals are typically like.

Thank you! :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.