• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A very "Ingles" question

Ian @ Camino Ramblings

Camino Rambler - CaminoRamblings.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés-Sept '23
Tall Ship Ingles-June 24
Hi - I,m starting the Ingles on Sept 17th .

I dont mind chancing it but .......

I'm reading stories that contradict each other (i.e. Seeing very few pilgrims on the trail but then having few Alberque beds available ) . I would be very grateful if anyone has news of what to expect ? Is it busy ? - Whats the trail like Mid Sept ? - Are Alberque beds available? - Are there any "pinch points" at which its crucial to book ahead ?

Thanks ..... X

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm reading stories that contradict each other (i.e. Seeing very few pilgrims on the trail but then having few Alberque beds available ) .
Those are not contradictory. There are far fewer pilgrims walking the Ingles than you would find on routes like the Frances or the Portugues. But there are also far fewer albergue beds available. For example Bruma has only 22 albergue beds. So it is very easy for albergues to fill to capacity in busy months. It is quite possible to walk a stage seeing very few others then discover a full albergue at the end of the day. If the others are walking only 10 minutes or so ahead of you or behind you and moving at a similar speed then you might never meet anyone during the day and get the impression that you have the route to yourself :)

I walked the CI beginning June 1 from Ferrol. No problem in Ferrol, Hotel Almendra. I stayed at Pension Luis in Pontedeume (recommended). Hotel Garelos in Betanzos. I walked to Bruma but stayed at Hotel Caniama in Meson do Vento (this is where I met most Pilgrims and breakfast is included and Good). Albergue Miras in Sigüeiro is very nice. Finally at Albergue 0KM in Santiago. All bookable on Booking.com except Pension Luis, I enlisted a Spanish speaking friend.

I left Ferrol early on a Sunday and saw very few people and no Pilgrims for a long time. More Pilgrims from Pontedeume and many in Meson do Vento. All I heard were bad opinions on the Albergue in Bruma, nice bar just down from it though. Many Pilgrims from Bruma on but no problem with beds or rooms on my CI. I would book ahead so you can enjoy each day.

Good luck, Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the CI beginning June 1 from Ferrol. No problem in Ferrol, Hotel Almendra. I stayed at Pension Luis in Pontedeume (recommended). Hotel Garelos in Betanzos. I walked to Bruma but stayed at Hotel Caniama in Meson do Vento (this is where I met most Pilgrims and breakfast is included and Good). Albergue Miras in Sigüeiro is very nice. Finally at Albergue 0KM in Santiago. All bookable on Booking.com except Pension Luis, I enlisted a Spanish speaking friend.

I left Ferrol early on a Sunday and saw very few people and no Pilgrims for a long time. More Pilgrims from Pontedeume and many in Meson do Vento. All I heard were bad opinions on the Albergue in Bruma, nice bar just down from it though. Many Pilgrims from Bruma on but no problem with beds or rooms on my CI. I would book ahead so you can enjoy each day.

Good luck, Buen Camino.

Many thanks for your super detailed reply - exactly what I needed ...... Ive made a few bookings today - and going to try my rusty espanol on Pension Luis tomorrow 😆

Those are not contradictory. There are far fewer pilgrims walking the Ingles than you would find on routes like the Frances or the Portugues. But there are also far fewer albergue beds available. For example Bruma has only 22 albergue beds. So it is very easy for albergues to fill to capacity in busy months. It is quite possible to walk a stage seeing very few others then discover a full albergue at the end of the day. If the others are walking only 10 minutes or so ahead of you or behind you and moving at a similar speed then you might never meet anyone during the day and get the impression that you have the route to yourself :)
Thanks - appreciate the reply - that explains it and - to make the most of any trail interaction- I’ll endeavour to walk at a “sociable” pace. 😆

Many thanks for your super detailed reply - exactly what I needed ...... Ive made a few bookings today - and going to try my rusty espanol on Pension Luis tomorrow 😆

La Señora speaks very fast and seems short, once you see her in action in the Bar, you’ll understand why. They may not take your reservation this far out. Good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I'm reading stories that contradict each other (i.e. Seeing very few pilgrims on the trail but then having few Alberque beds available ) . I would be very grateful if anyone has news of what to expect ? Is it busy ? - Whats the trail like Mid Sept ? - Are Alberque beds available? - Are there any "pinch points" at which its crucial to book ahead ?

Thanks ..... X
Second half of September? You’ll be fine. I’ve walked in first half October and thought (not confirmed) that I saw one other peregrino on the entire (only 5 days..) walk.

Thanks ..... X
Walk quickly and you’ll see us ! Leaving Ferrol on the 16th! We have booked as I’m walking with a newbie and taking it slow :) Buen Camino

More Pilgrims from Pontedeume and many in Meson do Vento. All I heard were bad opinions on the Albergue in Bruma, nice bar just down from it though.
I wonder how those pilgrims in MdV got "bad opinions" about albergue in Hospital de Bruma. On what basis? Do you know?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I spoke with 4 Pilgrims who stayed there on June 3rd, none had a positive review. I have no first hand experience. Most negative reviews seemed to involve the Hospitalero. Once again, relating what I was told.

Good luck, Buen Camino.
Very helpful thank you. We plan to start on 9 September and expect there will be quite s few pilgrims.
Will look at booking ahead.

Very helpful thank you. We plan to start on 9 September and expect there will be quite s few pilgrims.
I can highly recommend Hostal Luis in Pontedeume, and Albergue Camino Real in Siguiero. Hostal Luis, good food - packed with locals. Albergue Camino Real, generosity is a hallmark, plus they will wash and dry all your clothes for €5.00, so you are spanking clean for arriving in Santiago. Here is the hospitalero, on his way to music practice! I just took a screenshot as the short video is too big...

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 11.38.47.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Depending upon where you stay in Ferrol, the route out of town is not well marked. As you leave the Praza da Constitución look for the Igrexa das Angustias, the Ave de Esteiro is your route out. There’s also a Bar that opens early there. Basically, keep the water on your right. Buen Camino.

I can highly recommend Hostal Luis in Pontedeume, and Albergue Camino Real in Siguiero. Hostal Luis, good food - packed with locals. Albergue Camino Real, generosity is a hallmark, plus they will wash and dry all your clothes for €5.00, so you are spanking clean for arriving in Santiago. Here is the hospitalero, on his way to music practice! I just took a screenshot as the short video is too big...

View attachment 64465
Totally agree with these recommendations. I've stayed twice at Hostal Luis; they're lovely people, helpful and they will make sure you're well fed! If you can speak some Spanish, please try. The second time I stayed there the lady was saying how frustrating it was for them to communicate sometimes. They will still try their best but they will appreciate the effort.

Thanks ..... X
Some days on the Ingles we see lots of people and on other days just a few. So it varies. We have only used one albergue just to experience what an albergue was like. We have been based in our caravan on a site in Mino and used public transport to get too and from each days walk. Today we move to a site in La Coruña and start again from there up and down the N550. Finally moving to the site in Santiago de Compostela. Bruce and Margaret.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depending upon where you stay in Ferrol, the route out of town is not well marked. As you leave the Praza da Constitución look for the Igrexa das Angustias, the Ave de Esteiro is your route out. There’s also a Bar that opens early there. Basically, keep the water on your right. Buen Camino.

You've no idea how helpful it is to know " keep the water on the right". Leaving Porto on the Portuguese Camino is similar....all you need to know is keep the water on your left! Thanks for the handy tip :)

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.