• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Very Nervous and Concerned PilgrimMom

PilgrimMom

Time of past OR future Camino
My daughter is walking the Camino in October
Dear Pilgrims, my daughter - who has taken a semester off from college - is planning to walk the Camino Frances alone at the very end of September from St. Jean to Santiago. The recent finding of Denise's remains have me very frightened and I need reassurances from Pilgrims who have walked the Camino Frances of its safety.

I told my daughter that I wanted her to start the Camino with at least one other person. Will it be easy for her to find a walking buddy when she shows up in the morning of her start date in St. Jean at the very end of September?

Are there many Pilgrims walking at the end of September, October and early November on the Camino Frances? Or will she be alone?

Who does she reach out to if she runs into trouble? sprains her ankle? etc…

Can she get lost?

Is there cell service on the Camino? Will her cell phone work in case of an emergency?

How is the Camino kept safe? Is the entire Camino Frances policed?

Thank you for any reassurances or insights that you may have.

Sincerely,

A very nervous and concerned PilgrimMom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dear camino Mom:
I am a Mom too, so I do not want to diminish you for feeling fearful.
I am an American, from Pittsburgh. have lived on the Camino de Santiago for nine years. Back at home, I saw more crime in a month than I have seen in all my days here. I do not know where you are from, but I'd bet your daughter is much more safe on the Camino than she is in her home town. She will make friends right away, from the first day. She'll get to know people from all parts of the world. People on the camino look out for one another, they keep track, they pick one another up when they fall.
Somehow, one pilgrim dropped through this lovely net. We all are in shock because violent crime is unheard-of here. This horror is a total one-off. To not walk the camino because of this crime is a bit like refusing to drive a car into the city because a fatal accident happened there.
Life is full of surprises, bad and good surprises. The Camino is one of the best things that can happen to a young woman. Your daughter's phone will work if she gets into a jam. There will be people all around her, keeping an eye out for her safety -- even people who don't know her will help her. Pilgrims do get lost on the trail sometimes if they aren't paying attention, but they find their way back with guidance from friendly locals.
Both my children did the camino: My daughter at age 20, my son at age 17. I have walked the camino twice. I dealt with one (1) creepy guy, which is about average anywhere. (idiots know no nationality.)
No one can guarantee a 100% perfect trip, but that's what growing-up and adventures are for!
And I guess that is part of letting go of your grown-up girl and letting her fly free. Commit her to the hands of God. And think about walking the trail yourself someday. You'll see for yourself.
She is in good hands, ma.

Hello PilgrimMom,

As a 29 year old female I walked alone all during October of last year. And when I say "alone" all I mean is I did not start the walk with anyone I knew from home. However, I was never actually alone unless I wanted to be. There are still hundreds and hundreds of people walking everyday and there will be so many people for your daughter to meet. There is a very strong sense of community on the Camino since everyone has a common interest and goal, and I am sure especially now people are looking out for each other even more.

There is cell service along the Camino, and plenty of places to connect to the Internet. She can be in contact as often as she likes.

Please understand that this recent case is a completely isolated incident, nothing like it has ever happened before. The Camino is very safe and never once did I feel uneasy or unsafe. She will be fine and will be surrounded by many friends. The Camino is a life changing experience, please let her fully experience it all the way she needs to! I am sure she will have an amazing time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Pilgrims, my daughter - who has taken a semester off from college - is planning to walk the Camino Frances alone at the very end of September from St. Jean to Santiago. The recent finding of Denise's remains have me very frightened and I need reassurances from Pilgrims who have walked the Camino Frances of its safety.

I told my daughter that I wanted her to start the Camino with at least one other person. Will it be easy for her to find a walking buddy when she shows up in the morning of her start date in St. Jean at the very end of September?

Are there many Pilgrims walking at the end of September, October and early November on the Camino Frances? Or will she be alone?

Can she get lost?

Is there cell service on the Camino? Will her cell phone work in case of an emergency?

Sincerely,

there should be others around

there is phone service on the camino.

if she hurts her ankle enroute, then a local will help or she can with the aid of another pilgrim make her way to the nearest town or road to summons help

there is no real danger and many many women walk along....

even if she got lost a local will stop and put her back on track

There are lots of patrols right now to ensure pilgrims feel safe.......it is safe
The whole of the camino is self policed as it were right now by pilgrims themselves some of whom are serving police persons.

if you post on here to ask for a walking partner or partners I am sure you find someone. give details, dates etc
remember a tiny percentage of people use forums ..

other will respond shortly I hope

don't worry

I understand your worries as a mother, but I hope you can put them beside you. The Camino will most likely be a wonderful experience for your daughter she will never forget. She will meet other pilgrims right from the start and all along the Camino. And to get lost, hmm, I guess you have to walk with your eyes closed for that. I am afraid most parts of the US are a much more dangerous place than the Camino de Santiago. But there is WiFi everywhere to keep in touch.

A recommendation for an albergue in St Jean Pied de Port: Beilari. Your daughter can make reservations online in advance. She will stay there with about 17 other pilgrims and - thanks to the wonderful owner Joxelu - she won't leave without knowing the names of all the others there!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi PilgrimMom! September is one of the busiest months for those walking the full length of the Camino Frances (to avoid the summer heat). Your daughter will meet many other pilgrims right from the start.

One thing that is certain to result from Denise's tragic death is a renewed sense of care and support between pilgrims. This was already strong and will only be stronger now.

At busy times of year it is common to see several groups of pilgrims ahead of you and behind you. If you're uncertain about which path to take, you can just wait for a couple of minutes to see what the pilgrims coming up behind you think!

The route itself is well marked, passes through villages regularly, and has no steep cliffs or other significant natural hazards that I can think of (apart from winter snow and ice, which I don't think will apply!).

Yes, we have to take all the usual precautions against petty theft in cities, rain, dogs etc, and take care of our own wellbeing by listening when our bodies start to complain. Much of that is common sense even to relatively inexperienced hikers.

Your daughter will have the time of her life and be surrounded by people who are looking out for her. While the recent tragedy reminds us that nowhere is 100% safe, the Camino must still be one of the safest places to travel.

Hi Pilgrim Mom, my husband and I walked the Camino Frances in the Spring '10. We have two adult children of our own and several young people we "adopted" on the Camino, with whom we still keep in touch. Pilgrims have always looked after one another and will continue to do so - even more so after this tragedy. Your daughter will have one of the most enriching experiences of her life.

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

Hi, your daughter will not be alone.

It's almost impossible to get lost, just follow the yellow arrows.

There is cell service along the Camino. Most albergues have WIFI to.

The emergency number is 112.

She will be fine and having a great time.

I wish you well, Peter.

OK I am not a mum, or for that matter a dad, but I have to totally endorse all of the above comments. If you get to help with her packing please throw in the extra thermal t-shirt. It will get cold in the Galacia(sic) hills. Also ensure she has a very good raincoat. After that all she will need is a sense of humour and the drive, to counter the blisters. The Camino a Will Provide.
Burn Camino, Mike

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

My 10 year old son and his dad have walked the whole camino Frances over 2 months. There is always somebody around to help, there is always a friendly face, and loads of fellow travelers. Your daughter will come home a happy healthy and probably exhausted young woman, who has had a priceless experience. Your job is to be her anchor and encouragement when she's feeling tired and a long way from home. That is your pilgrimage. Buenos Camino....

Ditto to all the above comments. All very accurate.
All I'll add are two examples.
My wife was with me the entire time, we are healthy and fit and yet my wife suffered from foot problems not at all uncommon. Even though I was never far away from her side, I can't count the number of people that stopped to offer her help. The love and caring of fellow pilgrims can't be overstated. Your daughter will undoubtedly fall "victim", not to a shady character, but to the caring of fellow pilgrims. She will be amazed.

That said, she should be aware of the obvious. The world is populated by fallen people. If she doesn't do obviously dumb stuff, she'll be fine. However we met two college age girls on our Camino that we nicknamed the "crazy Canadians" (my wife is Canadian, so there was no offense intended). These girls went out on the town one evening and met a guy who offered them a visit to his house on the coast. They took the ride and he took them to his beautiful home, treated them to dinner with no foul intent and later dropped them off where he'd picked them up. It all turned out well and they had a blast. But it could have been something else ya know. It was a dumb thing to do in my opinion.

What you may be worried about is that she'll stick out walking alone and be look vulnerable. That isn't the case. Many people walk alone and even if she didn't walk with someone she'd just be another of the thousands upon thousands of pilgrims walking past. Nothing to see here. The more likely thing is that from day one she'll have 4 new friends. She won't walk with them every day. The next day she'll have 4 more and eventually she'll "know" about 15-20 people. They will see each other most days and will walk together for awhile. They will walk alone for awhile.

You will worry. That's you job, but she can talk/text in almost every town if it will put your mind at ease....she won't need it, but you may! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Hi PilgrimMom

As long as your daughter is aware that there are bad people in the world then all will
be well.

Before your daughter sets off, sit down with her and share your worries with her. Tell her what
it is that worries you. You've listed quite a few scenarios that concern you. Talk through them.
Then tell your daughter how much you love her. That's all she needs from you, your unconditional love

I walked on my own, but never alone. There were always people around me. Within a day of setting
off I knew lots of people by sight. It will be the same for your daughter. Ask your daughter to say Hola
to lots and lots of people on the first few days. After that your daughter will never be on her own.

In the responses to your question, only Tyrrek has mentioned Denise's name. Perhaps an indication of how
raw emotions are at the moment. Disbelief and shock that someone we saw and met on the Camino is no
longer with us.

But please don't let the action of one wicked man out shadow all the good deeds that are done daily on the Camino.
Every day I saw small acts of kindness and charity that would seem extraordinary in our everyday lives, but
were accepted as part of the normal Camino support that was offered to our friends, our brothers and sisters.

All will be well, all manner of things will be well.

Beun Camino to you both

A recommendation for an albergue in St Jean Pied de Port: Beilari. Your daughter can make reservations online in advance. She will stay there with about 17 other pilgrims and - thanks to the wonderful owner Joxelu - she won't leave without knowing the names of all the others there
This is an excellent recommendation about Beilari. If she stays there she will likely walk out the door in the morning with several companions for the day and even beyond. That's probably true of any albergue in St. Jean.

I'll be walking from mid-October through November. Last year at this time there were just the right number of pilgrims to provide companionship and company, without being overcrowded. As I recall, there were about 80 people at the albergue in Roncesvalles on about October 16. There were others at other accommodation, and others just starting there. There would be many more at the end of September, and the numbers generally increase as you move west. So, she would have to work hard (and be quite unsociable) NOT to be walking with others.

I agree with all of the other comments above. I can't think of any place in the world where your daughter would be safer while having an independent travel experience.

All that said, your concern is natural! My 27-year-old is off to Yosemite this week to climb mountains, and I'm more than a little worried. As they say, it never ends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i don't mean to sound callous but....the numbers i've heard are like this. more than 200,000 people walk a portion or all of the camino each year. the fact that a SINGLE tragic incident is making the news and being discussed is evidence, in my estimation, that the camino is actually pretty darned safe. I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US, a town this size would likely see hundreds (if not thousands) of murders a year.

i wouldn't worry about it. she'll be fine.

Dearest Pilgrims, as I read these reassuring responses out loud to my husband tears rolled down my cheeks. You are helping me understand and even experience the spirit of the Camino.

Thank you for helping this PilgrimMom

PilgrimMom...you are also a pilgrim, about to start your own journey--by default perhaps, but you are also about to embark on something pretty special. The only real danger to you and your daughter is catching the 'Camino Virus' ;)
So echoing what everyone has said--Reb as usual has expressed the situation perfectly.
And if you want to read the experience of someone who went through much of what you are going through, please check out these delightful threads from 'a worried mum in Australia'...you may find the content reassuring:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...k-help-an-anxious-mother-16-000km-away.32703/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...jpdp-to-roncesvalles-today.33370/#post-299736
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...son-has-just-finished-the-camino-today.34277/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@PilgrimMom -

All good advice in posts above...

Three years ago the end of this month, I walked out of SJPP. That overlaps pretty close to what you have described for your daughter's Camino.

I tend to be a solitary but I had company on the Camino from start to end (whether I wanted it or not;)) with just a few exceptions which your daughter can easily avoid - - and should! With the increased numbers, I think your daughter may have a challenge to be alone if she wishes.

Here is the same counsel I would offer any of my daughters should they choose such a wonderful experience. (Unlike @roblsch , my hair did not turn to white or gray, it just up and ran away.)

DO:

1. Remember that just because someone is on the Camino does not mean that they are saints. Awareness of surroundings and use of common sense do NOT stay at home.

2. Take nothing with you that you are not prepared to lose and always keep close control of the few valuables that you may have - - whether to restroom or shower.

3. Intuition works in your favor; if "it" does not feel right then move away from it. The "deaf girls" with their petitions, the "German guy" whose card was eaten by an ATM - - yep, there are scammers out there. A strong "No!" and brisk walking away settles most of that.

4. Still, young people have more tender hearts than us older folks and are more willing to donate funds in many cases. Have your daughter be aware that she needs a "budget" for this. I always have a few euro away from my main cash stash, easily accessible to be able to drop a coin or two and move on quickly - - if I get the urge that donation is the right thing to do.

5. Have a cell phone with which "home" WILL be contacted each day at point of arrival by texting. On Camino #1, cyber-cafes and albergue computers were readily available. Within 18 months they were pretty much gone or of poor utility. The only weak spots I found for texting were Roncevalles (low signal) and Finisterra (my SIM card would not register for the first 12 hours). It is up to you whether you make this one of your "needs" of your daughter. Me? It definitely would be so.

DON'T:

1) Walk in the dark....unless you have a companion or two who would like to experience starlight or sunrise on the Way. It is possible to get lost under such conditions and wind up in places which are "iffy". (But this is the same almost anywhere you go... see "DO #1")

2) A pet peeve of mine and I may get some flak here for it but - - Leave the earbuds in their pouch while walking alone! Enjoy the silence while you can get it. It is difficult to be aware of your surroundings while the brain is occupied with a recorded book or music.

3) Get carried away with the wine unless you have long experience with your companions. It's that common sense thing.

I hope that helps and 'Buen Camino' to both you and your daughter.

It doesn't matter that you won't be physically there, you are going to live it in a different but no less meaningful way...for years to come. Maybe you will catch the "bug" that so many of us have?

B

Safe. Loved, life-changing, haunting, clear, resonant, quiet, exhilarating. I went with my 13 year -old for two weeks this summer. Had one dicey vibe and many just the opposite. My colleague pilgrims are in my dreams, my heart is bigger and my love deeper. Go with her for part of the way? A most unusual and peaceful time. I cannot wait to go one September for longer. We had cell service all the time and were on there routes. Albergues great and some reservations helped us have pinPoints. Enjoy her journey for all those for whom she is walking, if only for herself. Teresa, a mom ( and not a young one at that!)

I am a 64 year old solo female, never done anynthing like this in my life, and am planning to walk the camino from SJPP to Santiago starting 30/9/15. I am nervous but excited and the what the forum has given me is confidence that everybody watches out for everyone else, there is warmth, love, humour, compassion, support and I can't wait to experience it, like your daughter. You never know, our paths might meet. Buen camino to your daughter. This is something not to be missed. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear pilgrim mom, it is easy to understand your concern, I would feel the same myself if my daughter did something like that! All I can tell you is, you should be proud of having such a brave daughter, the Camino is an experience that makes you grow so much in a month... you can choose to be on your own, but you end up meeting a bunch of people you see every day, and everybody seems to take care of one another, she will love it to bits!

I have never walked the camino alone, but seven times with my husband and son. Many, many times, young females, walking for the first time, have contacted us and asked if they could walk with us for a while. We have always said yes, and always had a nice day's walk together, sharing language lessons, information about our home countries, lovely views and improvised meals.

If your daughter feels a bit apprehensive, tell her to take the initiative and ask others if she can walk with them. Pilgrims are friendly people!

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

Hi Pilgrim Mom!

I'm a 23 year old woman walking from Leon on October 16th to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. Perhaps I will see your daughter en route? My understanding is that no one is ever really alone on the Camino and can join with groups if desired or there is always people in front or behind them, who would be able to help out if needed. Hope that helps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dearest Pilgrims, as I read these reassuring responses out loud to my husband tears rolled down my cheeks. You are helping me understand and even experience the spirit of the Camino.

Thank you for helping this PilgrimMom
I recently told my friends on this forum that I was going to take a sabbatical from posting comments; but that being said, I had the same emotions you were feeling about the reassuring responses you read, even the tears.
I have walked several of the Caminos over the past 5 years and every reply you have received on your thread is 100% about what the neighborhood along the Camino and the Camino community is all about.

"Your daughter will undoubtedly fall "victim", not to a shady character, but to the caring of fellow pilgrims" - very well put and i forgive you for the "crazy Canadians" comment - it's the 10 months of winter that makes us so - Cheers!

"Winter" I know what you mean. Both weeks of winter in NC really suck. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From Astorga, on my first Camino: I'm a woman of 62 who started solo but made wonderful friends the first night at Orisson. Some are still keeping me company, and I keep making new friends and walking companions as I go. I feel safe on the Camino. Over and over, strangers -- peregrinos and locals -- have shared a multitude of kindnesses. The Camino gives new meaning to the phrase "fast friends," as your daughter will undoubtedly discover. My very best wishes to you.

Last edited:
I'm a dad, rather than a mom and I only have a son, not a daughter. That said, I think there is great advice on this thread. I've also try to talk all my nieces and nephews into walking the Camino sometime between graduating high school and starting a career. I've also advised my brothers and sisters to judge their children's maturity before allowing them to go. Only one or two of the 20 probably should wait a little after graduating high school, IMO, but only you (your spouse) and your daughter together can judge when she is ready.

I found Spain to be filled with young people out on their own and had a great time hanging out with them. (Don't know if they were seeking out a "Mom" figure for evening chit chat or if they thought I was a lot younger than I am...) Your daughter will have a great experience!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Your daughter will undoubtedly fall "victim", not to a shady character, but to the caring of fellow pilgrims" - very well put and i forgive you for the "crazy Canadians" comment - it's the 10 months of winter that makes us so - Cheers!
But not so here on the West Coast:>). I'm a Mom also and my adult children and adult grandchildren will always be my 'children' so I do understand. This is a once-in-lifetime experience for your daughter and one that will reveal many lessons that are certain to enrich her life. Perhaps you have read enough here to see she will be in the company of many friends; some whose friendship will last for years. It's easy to say I know, but don't let too much of your angst cause her to have her own angst for you. As you can see by the forum, it is a family affair……a very hearty Buen Camino to your daughter. How blessed she is. I am five days and counting, until my departure for Madrid for my own (and first time) Camino walk.

Dear Pilgrims, my daughter - who has taken a semester off from college - is planning to walk the Camino Frances alone

She will quickly have a "Camino family" These friends look out for each other, take care of their fellow pilgrims. They are by circumstance much more responsible and concerned about friend's welfare than typical college buddies. You should worry less than you do when she is off at school.

maybe i'd have the same reaction if i was 22 again.
True. But 22 year olds may still see the world as it revolves around them. I don't think PilgrimMom has violated her daughter's privacy at all. Rather, she is carrying on her own life, which includes being a Mom!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@robisch - I have no problem with what you've posted. I think we are exploring the different perspectives in a perfectly reasonable way.

I walked the Camino last Spring-- I was in Santiago when Denise disappeared. I am 53 years old, and I walked with my 14 year old son. -- -- I felt safe on the camino, there was almost always another pilgrim in sight. I think there are more pilgrims on the camino in the Fall than the early Spring. My cell phone worked and I texted my husband each night that we were safe and at an albergue. --

People on the Camino look out for each other. There was one time when my son and I took an alternate route and got lost in groves of leafless chestnut trees. It seemed to take forever for us to find the path again. -- But we did. The next day, we came upon a pilgrim we had met the morning before. He was glad to see us, and had told us how he had waited for us at the end of the alternate route and had worried about us when dusk fell and we had not appeared. I told him we had lost our way, and he nodded, saying the he had lost his way at the same place when he walked the camino the first time with his 14 yo nephew three years before. He hugged us both and then walked on ahead of us. --

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

Hello Pilgrim Mom,
I'm a Pilgrim Grandma (68 years old with daughters a bit older than she must be) and this is my second walk. This year I will be departing from SJPP on the morning of September 27. Is your daughter leaving then? I would love company on that particularly challenging day if she wishes to join me.
I found the Camino one of life's most wonderful experiences and recommend it to anyone. I felt completely safe last year when I walked from Sarria to Santiago. Hope to hear that we may overlap.
MaryLP

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

I see that you have had a lot of responses. I just wanted to add mine to this. I have done various Caminos since 2008 (which is when I did the French Route). I've set out on several Caminos on my own and would do so again. For most routes, particularly the Frances, you are never really alone. There are a lot of other people about and if your daughter is sociable, she shouldn't have any problem picking up someone to walk with. on a day to day basis. When I did the Frances in 2008, I was with someone who walked faster than me. We agreed that we would both walk at our own pace and had agreed meeting points. I was never short of being with someone who walked at my pace and he was never short of someone who walked at his pace. For my first few days out of St Jean, I didn't talk much to fellow peregrinos because there were so many of them. However, you do note that you keep on seeing the same people who are walking the same distances and eating and staying in the same places and you start to hook up with them. Everyone experiences this shyness. However, you get over it and on other routes, you meet people are on their second, third or more caminos and you immediately start to chat . I would really NOT recommend starting out with a particular person unless you have walked with them before. I have seen couples start off like then and then end up fighting because of pace and distance differences. You daughter will find other people to walk with and it can be different people on different days.

It is sad that the Camino has attracted a very few people with criminal intents. Peregrinos should practice the same common sense that they would anywhere. Don't accept a ride from a stranger. Don't leave your passport, money, cards, credencial or anything valuable in your backpack if you are anywhere where this is not locked into a room with you. Don't leave valuables in an unattended bag if you go into a cafe, bar or restaurant enroute. I have a small bag which I wear on me that has my passport, money, credit cards, phone and credencial. I've been on this forum for several years and I've heard some reports of thefts, but only one case like Denise. As other people on this forum have said, for the most part everyone is very friendly and helpful along the Camino and it is a brilliant experience.

Dear camino Mom:
I am a Mom too, so I do not want to diminish you for feeling fearful.
I am an American, from Pittsburgh. have lived on the Camino de Santiago for nine years. Back at home, I saw more crime in a month than I have seen in all my days here. I do not know where you are from, but I'd bet your daughter is much more safe on the Camino than she is in her home town. She will make friends right away, from the first day. She'll get to know people from all parts of the world. People on the camino look out for one another, they keep track, they pick one another up when they fall.
Somehow, one pilgrim dropped through this lovely net. We all are in shock because violent crime is unheard-of here. This horror is a total one-off. To not walk the camino because of this crime is a bit like refusing to drive a car into the city because a fatal accident happened there.
Life is full of surprises, bad and good surprises. The Camino is one of the best things that can happen to a young woman. Your daughter's phone will work if she gets into a jam. There will be people all around her, keeping an eye out for her safety -- even people who don't know her will help her. Pilgrims do get lost on the trail sometimes if they aren't paying attention, but they find their way back with guidance from friendly locals.
Both my children did the camino: My daughter at age 20, my son at age 17. I have walked the camino twice. I dealt with one (1) creepy guy, which is about average anywhere. (idiots know no nationality.)
No one can guarantee a 100% perfect trip, but that's what growing-up and adventures are for!
And I guess that is part of letting go of your grown-up girl and letting her fly free. Commit her to the hands of God. And think about walking the trail yourself someday. You'll see for yourself.
She is in good hands, ma.
Rebekah Scott I'm from Pittsburgh too and will be walking my first Camino June 2016. I wondered if anyone from Pittsburgh had done it.

Can she get lost?

Sincerely,

it will be easy enough, easier than getting rid of the companion if she gets tired of him/her

there will not be many pilgrims after october 15th, she should expect stretches where she may not see another pilgrim.

she will always be within 10 miles of a town, police station, taxi service, help... 112 is the emergency number across spain. there is no way to guarantee 24 hour surveillance of all the pilgrims walking the Camino, like anywhere, if she gets hurt she will have to use her good judgement and exercise patience until she can get help.

yes, but only to the next town, always walking distance (there really are no wilds left on teh Camino)

yes, everywhere. perhaps she should pick up a spanish SIM card.

no it isn't. the local police and guardia civil are policing more actively, but they do not have the means to patrol every kilometre of the Camino (thank God). fortunately, considering the numbers, the Camino can still be considered a very safe place, and definitely not more dangerous than any large town or big city. however, even before Denise's murder, i would have always suggested caution and good judgement when walking alone, anywhere in the world.

cheers

Pilgrim Mom -
I have nothing to add to all of these loving, reassuring and true responses (as a woman who did the Camino Frances alone in 2014). I would like you (and your daughter) to know that I used an app called WhatsApp - free - as texting was not free for me and was able to check in with family each day very easily.
You are also able to leave messages for her when she connects to wifi along The Way.

I know she will have an extraordinary experience!

I just got back to the States yesterday after doing the Camino alone. It was the most incredible and rewarding experience! I met people from 22 countries from all walks of life, many of them young women. As a father of two daughters, I would wholeheartedly encourage my girls to do the same. Rest assured that she will be fine among the community of pilgrims and the locals.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If she doesn't do obviously dumb stuff, she'll be fine
That's as simple and true as it is. Common sense and she'll be absolutely fine. My daughter has lived in the unsafe part of Philadelphia since she was 18 attending college there......same thing...she needs to use common sense to stay out of trouble. And trust me....the Camino is WAY safer then many parts of Philly :)
I walked with my 20 year old son. Sometimes together but often hours separate . I never felt unsafe as a woman alone. I met lots of women (20 to 70 years old) that walked alone or as many above wrote...started alone.

Hi @PilgrimMom

It would be great if you could update us about how your daughters Camino went/is going. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back