• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Water Bottle Holder For Backpacks.

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Hey, guys. . .

I saw this product while browsing, and thought I'd share some pictures for those who like to use water bottles rather than hydration reservoirs. They are made by Gossamer Gear, and if you'd like more information you can find it here.

I can think of a few more uses than for just water bottles, too.

* I do not get any benefit from this company by posting this, in any manner seen or unseen, now or for all eternity. :)

1591431245192.png

1591432092525.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
an alternative that i have used for years: ultralight 5 grams, 1 to 2 Euros. Can really recommend it. I take one or two 1.5 liter bottles in the back and refill a 0.5 /0.6 liter bottle and click it in the front. So i can drink regularly and am forced to stop sometimes, even just for a refill. Otherwise i often don‘t stop.

C8D9D772-4A21-4B2D-B545-794DBF6049B2.jpeg

So long
DonCamino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are right. Believe it or not: i bring my own two plastic bottles (30 grams 1.5 liters and 17 grams 0.5 liters) and take them back home afterwards!

Great devices, but they are for plastic bottles which elsewhere on this forum we are trying to get rid off NO MORE PLASTIC ON THE CAMINIO PLEASE
I use 2 plastic Smartwater bottles, but keep and refill them for my whole six week caminos. They are very robust. I add them to a recycle bin at the end.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great devices, but they are for plastic bottles which elsewhere on this forum we are trying to get rid off NO MORE PLASTIC ON THE CAMINIO PLEASE

They can be used for plastic bottles, but they are not exclusive to plastic bottles. They will work fine for metal containers, too.

I do not know who the 'WE' might be that you are referring to, but like toilet paper and orange peels and all other litter/trash, plastic should not be on the Camino adding to the detritus, but disposed of appropriately.

As to the water bottles themselves, plastic bottles, like the smart water bottles, are perfectly fine and reusable. Not to mention sport bottles and their cousins.

Those who have an issue with plastic bottles, can still use the holders.

an alternative i use since years: ultralight 5 grams, 1 to 2 Euros. Can really recommend it. I take one or two 1.5 liter bottles in the back and refill a 0.5 /0.6 liter bottle and click it in the front. So i can drink regularly and am forced to stop sometimes, even just for a refill. Otherwise i often don‘t stop.

View attachment 76420

So long
DonCamino

Have the same. Less is more indeed. Who needs more expensive gadgets when this is efficient enough?

Hey, guys. . .

I saw this product while browsing, and thought I'd share some pictures for those who like to use water bottles rather than hydration reservoirs. They are made by Gossamer Gear, and if you'd like more information you can find it here.

* I do not get any benefit from this company by posting this, in any manner seen or unseen, now or for all eternity. :)

View attachment 76404

View attachment 76406
Didn't get the water bottle holder but did go the website and ordered their shoulder strap pocket. Thanks for the heads-up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are right. Believe it or not: i bring my own two plastic bottles (30 grams 1.5 liters and 17 grams 0.5 liters) and take them back home afterwards!

Yip, me too!

I did bring two 0,5l dispensible waterbottles with me that I carried the whole CF, down to Porto and back home.
Back home I brought them to the recycling-machine and got 50 Euro-Cent for the two bottles back.
Almost all PET-Bottles in Germany are sold with a deposit of 0,25€ that you get back, if you will recycle them via the german recycling-system (via Vendor-machines in almost all selling-points)

I did have one of those bottle-clips, but lost it between Pamplona and Puente de la Reina.

Yip, me too!

I did bring two 0,5l dispensible waterbottles with me that I carried the whole CF, down to Porto and back home.
Back home I brought them to the recycling-machine and got 50 Euro-Cent for the two bottles back.
Almost all PET-Bottles in Germany are sold with a deposit of 0,25€ that you get back, if you will recycle them via the german recycling-system (via Vendor-machines in almost all selling-points)

I did have one of those bottle-clips, but lost it between Pamplona and Puente de la Reina.

The system in Germany is excellent. I had a week in Berlin a couple of years ago and early morning would see people coming into supermarkets with foraged recyclables, feeding them into an in-store facility, taking the credit slip and buying breakfast. It was common to see ordinary Berliners pouncing on a tourist discarded bottle to redeem the deposit.

Clearly reusing anything multiple times is better than discarding - but it only takes a small cash penalty to change behaviour. The charge for single-use plastic bags in the UK (and elsewhere I’m sure) is a case in point. To avoid a 10p charge - which is trivial - I carry a simple string bag with me pretty much always.

The original item which Dave highlighted is a great example of a multi-use item. Who would have thought of repurposing a wine-bottle holder for water?

Hey, guys. . .

View attachment 76404

View attachment 76406
Looks like they could hold bear spray canisters nicely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
an alternative i use since years: ultralight 5 grams, 1 to 2 Euros. Can really recommend it. I take one or two 1.5 liter bottles in the back and refill a 0.5 /0.6 liter bottle and click it in the front. So i can drink regularly and am forced to stop sometimes, even just for a refill. Otherwise i often don‘t stop.

View attachment 76420

So long
DonCamino
Where do you get them or can you tell me what they are called?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey, guys. . .

View attachment 76404

View attachment 76406
much nicer than my extra-long shoelace through the loop

so what are you doing to carry water in ? glass bottle ?
Sigg bottles are aluminium. One of many brands.
There are plenty of options, @nathanael , for those who don't care to add to the plastic waste stream.
Glass, as well.

The added benefit of a bottle like the ones like Sigg makes is that the lid has a ring that can accommodate a clip or carabiner. Simple and no need for any fancy sfuff to carry them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My last Camino was the VdLP Seville to Salamanca. It was stupidly hot and it was necessary to have 3-4 litres of water most days. I had a fantastic water carrier. Sadly he got greedy and asked for a pay rise so I had to let him go just short of Arco de Cappara 😂.🌞😥🍾

Sigg bottles are aluminium. One of many brands.
There are plenty of options, @nathanael , for those who don't care to add to the plastic waste stream.
Glass, as well.

The added benefit of a bottle like the ones like Sigg makes is that the lid has a ring that can accommodate a clip or carabiner. Simple and no need for any fancy sfuff to carry them.
I love plastic cause its light but will look into what suggested. thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.