• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

A week between Cahors and SJPP - where would you choose?

CJW

Le Flaneur
Time of past OR future Camino
Figeac-Cahors 2015
Hi all
I have a week next year for some walking in France, and somewhere between Cahors and SJPP looks best, given my overall itinerary. (I'll likely be leaving luggage on Bordeaux beforehand)
Any recommendations on people's favourite sections? Or least favourite, come to that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Navarrenx to SJPP is about a week and runs along the foothills. The section around Aire sur 'Ador is forgettable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For me I would repeat Moissac to Eauze.

Michelin map/guide 161 Chemins de Compostelle has five relatively easy stages for around 120 km

Another two stages totalling 50 km would get you to Aire-sur-l'Adour.

At Moissac I strongly recommend the gite La Petite Lumiere with a communal meal and marvellous hostess.

At Larresingle I suggest La halte de Larresingle. This is about 600 m on the other side (south) of the village. Another communal meal.

From here to Gondrin (I know, it is not on the GR 65. But neither was Larresingle) is the marvellous Voie verte de l'Armagnac. A former railway you are in sub-tropical bush (forest) for about 8 km. And there is no doubt you have entered a part of France where rugby rules.

At Eauze you could not do better than La grange de Marie-France and I strongly suggest the demi-pension. Marie-France is a marvellous preparer of meals and a bon vivant to boot. And not forgetting her l'Armagnac presenattion and tasting. And the wonerful (for me at least) the Museum just east of the "cathedral" with a treasure trove (literally) of Roman coins, jewellery and artefacts.

And finally at Aire-sur-l'Adour the (again for me) the fascinating gite Urseline Chapel on the GR65 heading south west with a communal meal (demi-pension).

@CJW , I hope your proposed meander provides lots to see and enjoy. Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Cahors to Condom would be a nice weeks walk. Lauzerte, Auvillar, Lectoure and La Romieu were all lovely.
Cahors to Condom is a good walk, and there are three buses a day from there to Agen, a station on the Toulouse-Bordeaux line. (Cahors is on the Paris-Toulouse line) They are both beautiful towns, and Condom claims to be the home of the 3 Musketeers - there's a statue of them outside the cathedral.

Thanks for the responses and good wishes – all great advice and much appreciated. Unless there’s some seriously unmissable bits between Cahors and Moissac, I’m leaning towards Moissac to Eauze or Condom.

I’ve walked Figeac to Cahors previously. And my original plan was Le Puy to Conques – been on my list since I first went to Le Puy and walked the Chemin de Stevenson – but logistics are a bit messy to fit in on this trip. I’ll save that for another time. In the meantime, looking forward to hitting the trail in France again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Moissac to Condom or Eauze is an easy week's walk - provided you don't do as I did one year and walk 3 32k-days back to back in temperatures in the mid-30's!
I don't stay in gites (too old for dorms) but I can recommend Les Angelots in Condom (small, charming chambres d'hotes, communal meal, some French required) or the Hotel Continental if your French isn't good, and the Hotel de Bastard (well, you couldn't miss the opportunity, could you?) in Lectoure,

Moissac to Condom or Eauze is an easy week's walk - provided you don't do as I did one year and walk 3 32k-days back to back in temperatures in the mid-30's!
I don't stay in gites (too old for dorms) but I can recommend Les Angelots in Condom (small, charming chambres d'hotes, communal meal, some French required) or the Hotel Continental if your French isn't good, and the Hotel de Bastard (well, you couldn't miss the opportunity, could you?) in Lectoure,
I usually try and keep it at around the 25k mark per day.... 30+ in 30+ heat does not sound like fun! I'll be walking late May so weather should be OK.
My French is pretty good so a nice chambre d'hote with a communal meal sounds perfect - thanks for the tip!

Back