• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A week in Porto

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
I’m headed to Porto for a week with friends. Looking for suggestions of what to see and do. Have been there for a day before and seen the train station, church and boat tour, - other ideas? I will walk from Matosinhos to Vila de Conde one day, it’s a favourite stretch. Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here are a couple of articles I've written about things to do in Porto: one on its museums and another on the city's ties to Harry Potter, if that's of interest to you:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Visit Lello’s bookshop. Back in time
Be early before busses with Chinese, Japanese and Koreans arrive (if they come in this covid time)

As above. It was manic last year before restrictions ended. It will be worse now.

Hire an eBike as it helps you get around the hillier parts. And try the fish restaurants by the docks rather than by the tourist traps.

If you feel like a break from the city and the crowds, you could take the early morning train south to Espinho (about 20km or so) and walk back up the coast by the boardwalk and beaches (some good spots for swimming) by the mouth of the Douro to the lovely fishing village of Afurada for lunch, then back along the Gaia shoreline. It's a pleasant alternative to the Vila do Conde walk..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have never done the port tastings across the river and do regret that. Oh well, someday! I did take the train one day to Pinhao for lunch, I think better than a bateau mouche. I read later that taking the train to the end of the line is even better. Pinhao is purported to be the birth place of port and the place I had lunch on the side of the river was first class.

If you go to the portwine houses, go the the brand “Cruz”
Go inside the building and take the lift to the upper floor and you will have a beautifull view over Porto and the famous Eiffel bridge while enjoying a glass of cool white Portwine or of course a red one
Saude ! Cheers !

Last edited:
Vila Nova de Gaia .jpg

O Porto is on the Camino Portugués. Across the Douro river at Vila Nova de Gaia are many winehouses which produce Port wine.

For various reasons I've always enjoyed Graham's Port; they did a great tasting visit.
The tour at Sandeman's is worth taking part in as well. It's a big company and they put on quite a show; understated, but you see a lot!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In the heart of Porto, right near the Casa da Música, you'll find the Mercado Bom Sucesso. We stumbled on this as we were staying in a hotel nearby. This has been either built or substantially renovated recently, and is a mixture of a high-end food market and a food court. There are small stalls all round with various kinds of Portuguese food and wine displayed and on sale.

The food was excellent and reasonably priced. A great chance to browse through some of the typical specialties of Portugal, that tourists or pilgrims might not run into, in the smaller restaurants and grocery stores. And there was a wonderful performance by a local fado singer and her accompanists when we were there. We got to finish our meal with the band!

Highly recommended and not a very pricey treat.

Climb Clerigos tower, visit Lello bookshop, coffee at the famous Cafe Majestic. Cross the Eiffel bridge, go on the cable car to Gaia. Vist the Cockburns port house (still in family ownership). Ascend in the funicular. Boat trip down the Douro. Visit the fab food market for lunch in Gaia. Excellent local fare at O Rapido, next to Sao Bento.

Visit Lello’s bookshop. Back in time
Be early before busses with Chinese, Japanese and Koreans arrive (if they come in this covid time)
When we were in Porto in September, the queue for Lello stretched right down the road!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take the 500 bus from Aliados (sit up top in the very front in the huge window) and take it to Foz (the beach area) and eat at Tavi and then walk the beach. Take the wooden tram back to town. Eat a "Frenchie" sandwich at Cafe Santiago, drink Port wine at night at a touristic cafe right along Douro. Stare at the tile art inside Sao Bento train station. Visit the Porto Guitarra string shop and look at fantastic Portuguese made string instruments and ask Tico to demo some of them for you or if you are lucky some local folk might pop in and sit and play for a while. Eat nata and coffee in a completely traditional looking cafe and stand at the bar to eat and drink it. Go to Lado B and eat "the best chocolate cake in the world." Go to Foz and eat at Pizza Hut sitting on outside patio with a world class ocean view. Google the best piri piri chicken and go and eat it with locals. Visit the FC Porto soccer stadium and museum. Schedule a tour of Casa da Musica and experience what it is like playing some instruments they give you in that beautiful music hall. Eat french toast at Majestic Cafe. Visit Serralves Contemporary Museum and pay extra to walk in the "tree tops boardwalk. Then walk downhill and tour the Tram Museum. Walk around the campus of the University of Fernando Pessoa while reading his poems :) Take a TukTuk tour and let someone show you the big picture of Porto etc etc etc :) Best city anywhere!

Take my daughter with you. She was going to graduate school in Manchester when we met after my 2019 Camino. She did everything. We had an awesome time. She lives in New York now so you can fly her over and let her take charge. We went to churches, museums, walked by the line of the bookstore that Rowlings worked in. The line was very long, went to Braga, walked around, ate great and loved Porto. I love Portugal so you can't go wrong. Maybe next year I will walk the CP for the second time. You are in Portugal and Porto you can't go wrong!!!

Hello,
I’m headed to Porto for a week with friends. Looking for suggestions of what to see and do. Have been there for a day before and seen the train station, church and boat tour, - other ideas? I will walk from Matosinhos to Vila de Conde one day, it’s a favourite stretch. Many thanks.
Porto was a wonderful place…good choice! I have a suggestion that is good Camino practice too…Escadas das Verdades. This is unique and hidden street accessed from the street behind the Cathedral. The street is all stairs and stone walks that meanders down to the lower town. We stayed in an apartment on this street and enjoyed the walk (though I must admit that I never made it to the bottom). There were some small cafes along the route, odd intersections, decorative tile street names etc.

A second suggestion is the church of St. Francis with its interesting crypt. It’s a beautiful church too. One interesting sidenote is one of the grave markers in the floor by the altar…the engraver did not measure first. Going across the stone, the letters start to get narrower as he realized he had a space problem. Finally he gave up and put the remaining letters above. Made me chuckle.

We enjoyed the street musicians on the side streets. There was quite a variety…some good, some…er…not so good!

As suggested by others, going across the river is great. Have dinner and watch the sun set over Porto!

Attachments

• A7C18020-ABF5-49D9-AF46-7BEBE9A4304E.jpeg
    A7C18020-ABF5-49D9-AF46-7BEBE9A4304E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 5F6274BA-B7D1-4CC8-AC72-CADF195A013A.jpeg
    5F6274BA-B7D1-4CC8-AC72-CADF195A013A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 57A10B19-F777-42DB-BF90-8D30915389F6.jpeg
    57A10B19-F777-42DB-BF90-8D30915389F6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 364F5B62-FAC9-4692-BEE2-21F10B552B56.jpeg
    364F5B62-FAC9-4692-BEE2-21F10B552B56.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take the 500 bus from Aliados (sit up top in the very front in the huge window) and take it to Foz (the beach area) and eat at Tavi and then walk the beach. Take the wooden tram back to town. Eat a "Frenchie" sandwich at Cafe Santiago, drink Port wine at night at a touristic cafe right along Douro. Stare at the tile art inside Sao Bento train station. Visit the Porto Guitarra string shop and look at fantastic Portuguese made string instruments and ask Tico to demo some of them for you or if you are lucky some local folk might pop in and sit and play for a while. Eat nata and coffee in a completely traditional looking cafe and stand at the bar to eat and drink it. Go to Lado B and eat "the best chocolate cake in the world." Go to Foz and eat at Pizza Hut sitting on outside patio with a world class ocean view. Google the best piri piri chicken and go and eat it with locals. Visit the FC Porto soccer stadium and museum. Schedule a tour of Casa da Musica and experience what it is like playing some instruments they give you in that beautiful music hall. Eat french toast at Majestic Cafe. Visit Serralves Contemporary Museum and pay extra to walk in the "tree tops boardwalk. Then walk downhill and tour the Tram Museum. Walk around the campus of the University of Fernando Pessoa while reading his poems :) Take a TukTuk tour and let someone show you the big picture of Porto etc etc etc :) Best city anywhere!
Uau ! 👍

Hello,
Have you been to Livraria Lello? Bookstore with amazing decor, occasional author conversations. If you love books it's worth a visit.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here are a couple of articles I've written about things to do in Porto: one on its museums and another on the city's ties to Harry Potter, if that's of interest to you:

The line up at the Harry Potter bookstore was a 2 hour wait early in March.

I have said this before, will likely say it again…Pasteis de Nata! There are places you can watch them make these custard tarts in front of you, pop the in that screaming hot oven, and sell you one right out….fantastic!
Do not miss them!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This has been either built or substantially renovated recently
Has it reopened? We were there in Oct 2021 and it was completely gutted with very little work going on.

As for day trips, we took an early morning train up the Douro River and stopped for a winery tour, lunch, and a bit of hiking before heading back to Porto - truly a lovely trip away from the tourist crowds in Porto.

Also, Braga is nice, but I found the smaller town of Guimaraes even better! It’s on an old route of the Camino Portuguese and truly lovely for a day or overnight visit.

Has it reopened? We were there in Oct 2021 and it was completely gutted with very little work going on.

As for day trips, we took an early morning train up the Douro River and stopped for a winery tour, lunch, and a bit of hiking before heading back to Porto - truly a lovely trip away from the tourist crowds in Porto.

Also, Braga is nice, but I found the smaller town of Guimaraes even better! It’s on an old route of the Camino Portuguese and truly lovely for a day or overnight visit.
The Bolhao market is still undergoing development (i was there 2 weeks ago) - i think it will be worth the wait!

The Bolhao market is still undergoing development (i was there 2 weeks ago) - i think it will be worth the wait!
Different market. You're both talking about the Bolhao, which IS under renovation. The Bom Sucesso is further west, very close to the Casa da Musica. It's open and recent GoogleMap comments echo my impression from 2017, I think.

If you feel like a break from the city and the crowds, you could take the early morning train south to Espinho (about 20km or so) and walk back up the coast by the boardwalk and beaches (some good spots for swimming) by the mouth of the Douro to the lovely fishing village of Afurada for lunch, then back along the Gaia shoreline. It's a pleasant alternative to the Vila do Conde walk..
Glad to see your recommendation of the walk from Espinho. I am walking the full Caminho Portuguese in September, my partner who walks only a few kilometers is joining me at this point and the board walk will make things easier.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Glad to see your recommendation of the walk from Espinho. I am walking the full Caminho Portuguese in September, my partner who walks only a few kilometers is joining me at this point and the board walk will make things easier.
It's a lovely walk from Espinho up to Giai, I was recommending it as a day out, but it isn't actually part of the Camino Portuguese, the Camino is a little further inland and the approach through Gaia into Porto isn't very inspiring as I remember.

North of Porto you have lots of boardwalk sections along the ocean, and it's very forgiving to walk on. There are on-going repairs and you have to take an odd detour, but it's pleasant enough..

I would recommend going on the"6 Bridges cruise", which departs from Cais de Ribeira and lasts for about an hour. It gives you a different perspective of Porto, ie, from the Douro river and lots of excellent photo opportunities.

Attachments

• 20190409_210336.jpg
    20190409_210336.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190409_213215.jpg
    20190409_213215.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 8
Don't miss eating at Porta4! It is a very small and unique restaurant that you'll always remember as an incredible gourmet cuisine experience!

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpeg
    IMG_0664.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0668.jpeg
    IMG_0668.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As mentioned several times, don't miss visiting Vila Nova de Gaia! The port tasting opportunities are varied and unique as well. We were at one with a strutting rooster and a regal peacock mingling with the guests:) Also, couldn't resist taking a photo of the cool street corner art!

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpeg
    IMG_0645.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Consider taking a day boat cruise up the Duoro river to view the beautiful vineyards on the hills. It's a fantastic area. You will find many cruise options by doing a google search.
Screenshot_20220411-235535~2.png

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back