• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A week left!

COLT

Time of past OR future Camino
St.Francis
Hello,
I will arrive on the 4th of January 2023 and staying at Triana Hostel.
I will leave Seville on the 7th.
Anyone else?
Really getting happy about leaving now.
My only anxiety is getting out of Seville and heading in the right direction! lol
Any tips on navigating myself out of the city would be great.I do have the map and app etc so should be fine but still......
Thank you in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Colt.
Navigating out of cities can be a problem, the arrows disappear, change sides of the street or are obliterated by posters.
Google earth is your friend, you can often trace a route on street view.
In the event, you’ve got time to explore in daylight, turn right out of backpackers, top of the Calle turn right, at the bank on your left turn left up the Calle arrow on the signpost by the zebra crossing after that you’re on your way!
One piece of advice, if you can recce the next days route to the edge of village/town if you can.
Best of luck
George

Last edited:
Hi Colt.
Navigating out of cities can be a problem, the arrows disappear, change sides of the street or are obliterated by posters.
Google earth is your friend, you can often trace a route on street view.
In the event, you’ve got time to explore in daylight, turn left out of backpackers, top of the Calle turn right, at the bank on your left turn left up the Calle arrow on the signpost by the zebra crossing after that you’re on your way!
One piece of advice, if you can recce the next days route to the edge of village/town if you can.
Best of luck
George
Thank You George!
Yes,I have two days before I set out so I had thought I would do a navigational practice run.I likely will be leaving without alot of light in the sky so it would be good to feel a bit familiar.I will put Google earth on my phone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Colt, one anxiety-reducing 'life-changer' for successfully getting out of cities (that I picked up from this forum) is the usefulness of Mapy.cz
If you look at the (outdoor option showing caminos) map now, you'll see the route is quite simple and to start you only have to go north about 300m from your hostel to the Puente de Triana. You could probably memorise it with a couple of notes, even if there weren't any yellow arrows. Otherwise you could download the Mapy app and the relevant free map. If you have a smartphone and you think you might be lost you could switch location on and see where you are in relation to the route. I did this recently on the Madrid and it worked incredibly well - didn't use any data, as it's just downloaded map (plus GPS if you want to see where you are) and didn't take a lot of phone battery juice either.
Cheers, tom

I stayed at Triana before I started too. You just have to go up to the bridge, cross the street to start.

Colt, one anxiety-reducing 'life-changer' for successfully getting out of cities (that I picked up from this forum) is the usefulness of Mapy.cz
If you look at the (outdoor option showing caminos) map now, you'll see the route is quite simple and to start you only have to go north about 300m from your hostel to the Puente de Triana. You could probably memorise it with a couple of notes, even if there weren't any yellow arrows. Otherwise you could download the Mapy app and the relevant free map. If you have a smartphone and you think you might be lost you could switch location on and see where you are in relation to the route. I did this recently on the Madrid and it worked incredibly well - didn't use any data, as it's just downloaded map (plus GPS if you want to see where you are) and didn't take a lot of phone battery juice either.
Cheers, tom
Thank you Tom,I appreciate your information!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

Hi, Colt, Not many forum members leaving in January (I have put your name and departure city on the calendar.)

I am a bad map reader, but I also don’t like walking with my head in my phone following an app,so I use wikiloc.com It lets you follow a trail and beeps at you when you go wrong. All of these apps, like the one @peregrino_tom mentions, are easy to follow and allow you to download maps and tracks for offline use so there is no data consumption. But so far wikiloc is the only one I know with an audible alert.

Buen camino, I know there are many of us really love the Vdlp and will be happy to hear your updates if you connect to the internet while walking.

Hey Colt. You won’t have any trouble getting out of Sevilla from the Triana which is where I stayed too. As @peregrino_tom suggested, download the maps from mapy.cz on to your phone. It’s as easy as following the blue Camino line out of the city and all the way to SdC.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My only tip is to be sure to take the city bus out and see Italica.
Totally agree that Itálica is worth a visit. Busing out and back before walking is one option, and you can also spend an hour or so there on your first day’s walk, since the Vdlp goes by the entrance. Some leave Sevilla, visit the site, and then just stay in Itálica (you can add on a visit to the Monastery of San Isidoro del Campo, also in Santiponce where the Itálica ruins are). Others walk from Sevilla, take an hour or so at the site, and then walk on to Guillena. Both are good ways to incorporate the visit into your walk, but the bus option is also a good one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Colt, Not many forum members leaving in January (I have put your name and departure city on the calendar.)

I am a bad map reader, but I also don’t like walking with my head in my phone following an app,so I use wikiloc.com It lets you follow a trail and beeps at you when you go wrong. All of these apps, like the one @peregrino_tom mentions, are easy to follow and allow you to download maps and tracks for offline use so there is no data consumption. But so far wikiloc is the only one I know with an audible alert.

Buen camino, I know there are many of us really love the Vdlp and will be happy to hear your updates if you connect to the internet while walking.
Thank you my friend!
I do better with audible alerts!

€149,-
Regarding suggestions about Italica:

Can I suggest renting a bike on your free day in Seville and cycling out to visit Italica following the camino route? Only takes about 30 minutes or so on a bike and you can spend a leisurely couple of hours there, grab lunch in Santiponce and cycle back to the city. You'll then know exactly where you're going next morning when you start walking, avoiding the need to stop off there again and so continue to Guillena. There are a couple of cheap bike rental places close to the cathedral.

I don't know what the weather's been like of late, but you should expect plenty of flooded arroyos to contend with.. usually there are decent stepping stones, but a walking stick or two for balance is really useful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Regarding suggestions about Italica:

Can I suggest renting a bike on your free day in Seville and cycling out to visit Italica following the camino route? Only takes about 30 minutes or so on a bike and you can spend a leisurely couple of hours there, grab lunch in Santiponce and cycle back to the city. You'll then know exactly where you're going next morning when you start walking, avoiding the need to stop off there again and so continue to Guillena. There are a couple of cheap bike rental places close to the cathedral.

I don't know what the weather's been like of late, but you should expect plenty of flooded arroyos to contend with.. usually there are decent stepping stones, but a walking stick or two for balance is really useful.
Wonderful idea!🙏

Hello,
Anyone else?
My only anxiety is getting out of Seville and heading in the right direction! lol
Any tips on navigating myself out of the city would be great.I do have the map and app etc so should be fine but still......
Thank you in advance.
I will arrive in Seville Jan 1st and start walking Jan 9th.

Hello,
Anyone else?
Thank you in advance.
This is not a silly question - I managed to walk a kilometre the wrong way leaving Seville! I started from the Cathedral in the dark. I think it will be easier to go the right way from the Triana Hostel, because you head towards the bridge.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Totally agree that Itálica is worth a visit. Busing out and back before walking is one option, and you can also spend an hour or so there on your first day’s walk, since the Vdlp goes by the entrance. Some leave Sevilla, visit the site, and then just stay in Itálica (you can add on a visit to the Monastery of San Isidoro del Campo, also in Santiponce where the Itálica ruins are). Others walk from Sevilla, take an hour or so at the site, and then walk on to Guillena. Both are good ways to incorporate the visit into your walk, but the bus option is also a good one.

Just make sure you get there in the morning. I was there in the after and everything was closed.

Just make sure you get there in the morning. I was there in the after and everything was closed.
Here’s the schedule of the monastery. It’s not simple!

Del 1 de enero al 15 de junio y del 16 de septiembre al 31 de diciembre - Martes, miércoles, jueves de 10:00 a 15:00 h (último pase 14:30)*; viernes, sábados de 10:00 a 19:00 h (último pase 18:30)*; domingos y festivos de 10:00 a 14:30 h.
Del 16 de junio al 15 de septiembre - De martes a domingo y festivos de 10:00 a 14:30 h.
El enclave permanece cerrado todos los lunes y los días: 1 de enero, 6 de enero, 1 de mayo, 24 de diciembre, 25 de diciembre, 31 de diciembre.

Hello,
Anyone else?
Thank you in advance.
Am sure you'll be fine. Am leaving later than you so can't offer any advice other than I'm very geographically challenged and have always managed walking in non English speaking countries alone without getting tragically lost. Enjoy. Valerie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.