• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A week to go..... first timer

Elizabethanne

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk in September (2015)
Hi all,
Firstly, I this forum is such a wonderful resource, and you start to feel you know people by reading the threads each day. Such a wonderful resource. Starting to get a bit nervous/excited/impatient to get going/ etc etc.
I am flying from Australia to Paris then fly for an overnight at Biaritz and then a taxi or train to St Jean Pied for a night, Orisson the next night. I have booked each of these nights.
I have a couple of last minute questions:
1. I will have a small carry on suitcase with me (for post Camino), am I better to pay to send my suitcase to Roncesvalles and post it there or post it from St JPD.
2. From reading previous threads if I have it right the first place we can get a Spanish sim card is Roncesvalles?
3. If I get to Kayola/Orisson and the weather the next day is too severe to continue do I walk back to SJPD and then onto the Valcarlos?
And I am so looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims on the Camino.
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. Others may be able to tell you what the excise rules are within the EU, but by posting from outside Spain, you may be required to pay an excise on the goods being imported. When you arrive with luggage, there is an assumption that what you come with is for personal use. That clearly cannot be made for items sent in the post. This has been a problem for at least one forum member in the past.
2. I don't have information on this. Certainly you would be able to pick up a local SIM in Pamplona, but you may also be able to get one in SJPP.
3. There are also options like returning to SJPP by taxi and shuttling back to Orisson the following day.

Elizabethanne,

Roncesvalles has no post office since it is not a town but a large monastery complex. The first Spanish post office from which to send your case would be Pamplona. However, Express Bourricot has a service for transporting luggage to SdC from SJPdP. See their web here.

There are no shops at Roncesvalles only a few vending machines inside the albergue. As Doug Fitz notes the first sure place in Spain to get a Sim card would be probably be Pamplona. However you might be able to to find one in the small towns leaving Roncesvalles such as Burguete, Zubiri or Larrasoana.

The weather next week should not be so extreme that you need descend. Nevertheless taxis can be called if needed.

Buen camino!

MM

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is very helpful, thank you. Express Bourricot seems like it might be the way to go.
I think I have everything I need to think about covered
It is all really happening.
Elizabethanne I too have one week to go; start StJPdP 25th - perhaps our paths will cross….I wish you Buen Camino

This is very helpful, thank you. Express Bourricot seems like it might be the way to go.
I think I have everything I need to think about covered
It is all really happening.
Hello, in a few days it start to happen for you. You will do just fine.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,
Firstly, I this forum is such a wonderful resource, and you start to feel you know people by reading the threads each day. Such a wonderful resource. Starting to get a bit nervous/excited/impatient to get going/ etc etc.
I am flying from Australia to Paris then fly for an overnight at Biaritz and then a taxi or train to St Jean Pied for a night, Orisson the next night. I have booked each of these nights.
I have a couple of last minute questions:
1. I will have a small carry on suitcase with me (for post Camino), am I better to pay to send my suitcase to Roncesvalles and post it there or post it from St JPD.
2. From reading previous threads if I have it right the first place we can get a Spanish sim card is Roncesvalles?
3. If I get to Kayola/Orisson and the weather the next day is too severe to continue do I walk back to SJPD and then onto the Valcarlos?
And I am so looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims on the Camino.
Annie

question 3, sensible question to ask

There is another way without going back to SJPP which will bring you down opposite Arneguy (Ventas)on the valcarlous route(an escape route in winter)not the GR65 OR the turn off passed Pic D'Orission.

I use this route. I am about to mention when walking around the Area,not on Camino with my friends dogs.no markings. little if any traffic. on tarmac

OK you discover the weather is not for you to continue gaining anymore height and wish to Descend without going back to SJPP.and wish to continue on the lower route

return to Hunto...either ask there at the albergue(the lady also knows this way,she speaks little enough English for you to understand) ..
you walk back up the road (if this is your first camino)from Hunto for 5 minutes or so and you will see the camino continues ahead on a dirt path section.as you would of seen the day before. to your right is the continuation of the road that sweeps round and upwards to Orisson albergue....take this road till you see a RIGHT turn.(it will be the first right hand turn less than a minutes to find it)..using this road ignoring any further right hand turns you come across or small tracks going off to the left eventually this takes you out onto the D-933 when you start to descend for the last part to get on this road your come to a junction......you wonder here which way to go,as right seems natural ..turn LEFT and very quickly on your right further down will be a house so you work you way down and pass the house turning to the right staying on the single track road descending until you naturally exist not far from Arneguy. cross road and stay on grass verge (fast moving traffic )until you com into Venats just shy of Arneguy.(shop there).

your hear and see the traffic 20 minutes before exit onto the main road..forget attempting to descend crossing the fields to take a short cut onto the road.your have to bash through heavy bracken to do so, safety first stay on the tarmac single track road for a little longer till your down and able to cross the road in safety....try to avoid walking on the main road for the short time you need to reach Ventas and use the grass verge ..

this route is unmarked with no marking and as long as you have a sense of direction its a good option to get back to the lower route..a way I suggest for those who find the higher route too much once reaching Hunto.......

Last edited:
question 3, sensible question to ask

There is another way without going back to SJPP which will bring you down opposite Arneguy (Ventas)on the valcarlous route(an escape route in winter)not the GR65 OR the turn off passed Pic D'Orission.

I use this route. I am about to mention when walking around the Area,not on Camino with my friends dogs.no markings. little if any traffic. on tarmac

OK you discover the weather is not for you to continue gaining anymore height and wish to Descend without going back to SJPP.and wish to continue on the lower route

return to Hunto...either ask there at the albergue(the lady also knows this way,she speaks little enough English for you to understand) ..
you walk back up the road (if this is your first camino)from Hunto for 5 minutes or so and you will see the camino continues ahead on a dirt path section.as you would of seen the day before. to your right is the continuation of the road that sweeps round and upwards to Orisson albergue....take this road till you see a RIGHT turn.(it will be the first right hand turn less than a minutes to find it)..using this road ignoring any further right hand turns you come across or small tracks going off to the left eventually this takes you out onto the D-933 when you start to descend for the last part to get on this road your come to a junction......you wonder here which way to go,as right seems natural ..turn LEFT and very quickly on your right further down will be a house so you work you way down and pass the house turning to the right staying on the single track road descending until you naturally exist not far from Arneguy. cross road and stay on grass verge (fast moving traffic )until you com into Venats just shy of Arneguy.(shop there).

your hear and see the traffic 20 minutes before exit onto the main road..forget attempting to descend crossing the fields to take a short cut onto the road.your have to bash through heavy bracken to do so, safety first stay on the tarmac single track road for a little longer till your down and able to cross the road in safety....try to avoid walking on the main road for the short time you need to reach Ventas and use the grass verge ..

this route is unmarked with no marking and as long as you have a sense of direction its a good option to get back to the lower route..a way I suggest for those who find the higher route too much once reaching Hunto.......

Hmmm…usually I am a person with a goodly amount of self-confidence, but not sure if I want to be 'bashing' my way through bracken alone - and I would have a lot of trepidation around no signage. I do appreciate the info however and have printed it off. As we all know, it's weather dependent on whether or not I am able to keep with my original route from St. Jean, or if it will be via the Valcarlos route. It would be a shame to miss Orisson (already reserved) but it will be what it will be. Many thanks. Maggie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maggie .

some people decide a short cut looks promising crossing the field and in this case its not, plus after the bracken you straight down on top of the main road.

from Orisson albergue the incline is much more gently and after a nights rest at Orisson very doable walk to Roncesvalles...some guide books elaborate the actual steepness from there when in reality its the section BEFORE that most find challenging...But the rewards with clear weather are outstanding.....and the meal and introductions at dinner in Orisson are worth it also/

enjoy you camino

Maggie .

some people decide a short cut looks promising crossing the field and in this case its not, plus after the bracken you straight down on top of the main road.

from Orisson albergue the incline is much more gently and after a nights rest at Orisson very doable walk to Roncesvalles...some guide books elaborate the actual steepness from there when in reality its the section BEFORE that most find challenging...But the rewards with clear weather are outstanding.....and the meal and introductions at dinner in Orisson are worth it also/

enjoy you camino
Many thanks…of course I will be hoping for good weather from St. Jean. If it's not, it's not. Either way will offer up its own experience. Appreciate your help.

Thank you for this, I too have printed off the directions just in case the weather turns nasty. I am hoping for fine weather also. All this information so helpful. I have already heard back from Caroline and booked into her taxi and talked about having my bag taken to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am volunteering at the Pilgrim Office from 10/01 to 10/15. Please ask for me (you will recognize the beard). You will need those poles !

Buen Camino !

Those poles have done a lot of kilometres. Worth their weight in gold. I will look out for you.

Buen Camino ![/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino to all of you about to embark on the journey!
And just saying...the Valcarlos rte is vastly under-rated...yes, perhaps there are no sweeping views but it is sublime in its own way--and much of the journey can be done off the road. With no need to backtrack in case of bad weather.
And 'The Way' aside, it is just as 'authentic' as the Napoleon rte.

Hola, I lost you timeline of departure date. My recommendation, forward your excess luggage to Roncesvalles & then to Pamplona. Should cost around E5-7 for each forward. At Pamplona go to main PO and forward your bag to SDC. Ivar now has a hotel delivery service as well. Buen Camino. Mike

Tha
Hola, I lost you timeline of departure date. My recommendation, forward your excess luggage to Roncesvalles & then to Pamplona. Should cost around E5-7 for each forward. At Pamplona go to main PO and forward your bag to SDC. Ivar now has a hotel delivery service as well. Buen Camino. Mike[/QUOTE
Thanks Mike I am having it picked up tomorrow morning by express bourricoutt. Now that I am hear and can see how easy it is to have luggage sent ahead that's what I would do. Although express bourricoutt have been terrific.
I am in SJpD today and walk tomorrow
Very excited

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back