• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A week to go....

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
In a weeks time we will be on our way to Paris by train, to travel on to Limoges and thence to cycle to Santander on the next stage of our segmented pilgrimage.

As always, as we get nearer previously unconsidered queries pop up. So does anyone have anything helpful to say about the following....?

1. Might we need sleeping mats on the Norte in late Sept? We are taking sleeping bags (old, down, light and squashable) and sheet sleeping bags and sarongs to wrap around pillows or clothes if necessary, to be ready for most bedding needs, but have been assuming we would at least find a mattress.

2. I am humming and hawing about how to join up the Via Lemocivencis and the del Norte.
First option: at Orthez turn right and cycle along the river into Bayonne (I have 1:100000 map which shows possible quiet roads among the motorway and other main roads). But I bet there'll be the noise of motorway all along.
Second option: cycle on down the Chemin/Vezelay route at least to St Palais, then make our way to Hendaye avoiding Bayonne completely, maybe through Hasparren, Cambo-les-Bains, St-Pee-sur-Nivelle (I know I should learn how to find accents on the keyboard) and Ascain. Obviously there'd be no pilgrim gites, but probably gites rurals or roadside hotel/restaurants.

3. We have about 3 or 4 hours spare in Paris on Saturday afternoon, when we have to make our way from Gare du Nord to Gare d'Austerlitz. We know the way, roughly, because we did it the other way coming home last year. But, given that we will have laden bikes to protect, does anyone have a good idea about where we could go to amuse ourselves, or sit in beautiful surroundings, or eat a proper meal. As we don't arrive in Limoges until 9.30 and will be probably be ready for bed after an early start, if we don't eat a meal in Paris it will be picnic food all day, which gets a bit boring!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry I don't know a good eating spot, but you know you can take your bikes on the RER (rather than the metro) within Paris outside of peak hours if you want to? So if you wanted to, you could get on the RER B at Gare du Nord and go as far as St Michel-Notre Dame. You could take separate looks-around from there, if you wanted, while one minded the bikes. Or the newly restored Tour St Jacques is near by with a little seating area near it. Then you could hop on RER C for Gare d'Austerlitz. Only problem with this scenario is that I can't remember which of these stations has a lift you could use instead of stairs. Maybe Gare du Nord, but maybe not St Michel-Notre Dame. It is too long since I did it to remember!
Margaret

Attachments

• Tour St Jacques Paris.jpg
    Tour St Jacques Paris.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 749
Wiki:

Saint-Jacques Tower is a Parisian monument located in the IVe arrondissement. This 52-m Flamboyant Gothic tower is all that remains of the former church of Saint-Jacques-la-Boucherie ("Saint James of the butchery"). The tower's rich decoration reflects the wealth of its patrons, the wholesale butchers of the nearby Les Halles market.
It was built in 1509 to 1523 and dedicated to Saint James the Great during the reign of François I, and welcomed pilgrims setting out on the road to Tours headed for the way of St James. A statue of the saint was installed on the top of the tower during the 19th century. The church, with the exception of the tower, was demolished in 1797.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Excellent idea - of course we should visit this St James tower - and we can take turns guarding the bikes while the other does a little exploring near by! Thanks, Margaret and Sil!

Only 5 days to go now before you leave (we think).
Buen Camino
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back