• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A winter day in Swedish mountain made me longing for the camino

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
(wrote this a couple of days ago but the 3G connection was to bad to be able to send it).
I'm currently in Abisko for some winter hiking and today I want on a really hilly walk in the woods and the longing for the camino hit me real strong. It was like the body remembered. It was a strange feeling.

But one thing not even the camino can provide is this:
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1389479672.376354.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Seeing this is on my bucket list. We went to Iceland a few years ago in February to see the lights and the Island, but the lights made no appearance, Iceland though was beautiful.
In Abisko you can see them quite often and 2012, 2013 and this year will be good years as the sun is active. They say that the next active period starts 2025 but we will of course se some auroras anyway. I can often see them from my living room window here in Boden. That is nice. Sitting by the fire and watch the show in the sky.

But I have Island on my list :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(wrote this a couple of days ago but the 3G connection was to bad to be able to send it).
I'm currently in Abisko for some winter hiking and today I want on a really hilly walk in the woods and the longing for the camino hit me real strong. It was like the body remembered. It was a strange feeling.

But one thing not even the camino can provide is this:
View attachment 7682

Absolutely breathtaking, Beatrice!

Absolutely breathtaking, Beatrice!
It is and it is the best thing with living up north. When I see them I can stand there and just watch. Forget about everything else. It is magical and it was a good ending of a day where I felt so lost, I was really longing back to my days at the Camino. No stress no hurry no nothing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In that gorgeous photo I can discern a St. Andrew's cross which may signify something for Scotland on this year when they decide about independence. The lights must be a fine compensation for the long nights, Beatrice.
Do the lights indicate Independence - keeping the pound sterling and the Queen, of course - or continued Union with the others? I expect veryone is talking about this in Sweden.

Fab photo Beatrice...breathtaking,

Sean.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Beatrice, like many others I love your photo of the "lights", but I also read your message. That physical ache for the Camino - how can a simple walk through the Spanish countryside embed itself at a cellular level? I'm planning for the Salvador / Primitivo come spring. Some nights even the planning hurts. Time to put the boots on and walk...

Buen Camino amigo

Hi Beartice thanks for sharing those photos, i have a longing to see the northren lights my self it is the next thing on my bucket list after my camino i may be calling on your expertise some day for travel information, beat places to see them ect ect just like here on the forum, Thanks again we may just talk sooner than we think.

In that gorgeous photo I can discern a St. Andrew's cross which may signify something for Scotland on this year when they decide about independence. The lights must be a fine compensation for the long nights, Beatrice.
Do the lights indicate Independence - keeping the pound sterling and the Queen, of course - or continued Union with the others? I expect veryone is talking about this in Sweden.
Talking about Scotland or the lights? The lights are only visible up north (most of the time anyway) where very few people live so those living in the sounth might talk about it as something they would like to see :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Beartice thanks for sharing those photos, i have a longing to see the northren lights my self it is the next thing on my bucket list after my camino i may be calling on your expertise some day for travel information, beat places to see them ect ect just like here on the forum, Thanks again we may just talk sooner than we think.
Just ask, at least I know a lot about seeing Auroras in Sweden.

Hi Beatrice, like many others I love your photo of the "lights", but I also read your message. That physical ache for the Camino - how can a simple walk through the Spanish countryside embed itself at a cellular level? I'm planning for the Salvador / Primitivo come spring. Some nights even the planning hurts. Time to put the boots on and walk...

Buen Camino amigo
I know the feeling when doing plans as well. Last night I did some pre-planning, checking out shorter caminos, for a week or two. I wanted to go downstairs, pack my gear and just go to the airport directly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The lights dancing in the sky is one of the few things I miss about living in a colder, darker country, in my case Norway. The other is the Midnight Sun. Thanks for posting such beautiful pics. I also have days when the Camino Blues hits me with a sudden ache, and there is nothing else for it than to look at pics online, read about it, plan for it, tinker with the packing list, even pack and unpack my camino gear to make sure everything is there and I *could* just grab it and go!

Enjoy this: (Turn up the sound and maximize the screen/video). From in and around my hometown in Norway, famous as a Northern Light destination:

http://www.wimp.com/northernlights/

(The day this video was released, it was published on NASA's hompage, where they declared it to be the best Northern Light video ever. The maker is the son of a friend of mine).

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The lights dancing in the sky is one of the few things I miss about living in a colder, darker country, in my case Norway. The other is the Midnight Sun. Thanks for posting such beautiful pics. I also have days when the Camino Blues hits me with a sudden ache, and there is nothing else for it than to look at pics online, read about it, plan for it, tinker with the packing list, even pack and unpack my camino gear to make sure everything is there and I *could* just grab it and go!
Well aurora and midnight sun is probably the only good thing by living up here :)

I have most of my gear packed as well.

Enjoy this: (Turn up the sound and maximize the screen/video). From in and around my hometown in Norway, famous as a Northern Light destination:

(The day this video was released, it was published on NASA's hompage, where they declared it to be the best Northern Light video ever. The maker is the son of a friend of mine).
I have seen it before. Pure magic. It is sure of of the best videos. Really nice photo and compilation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know very well the feeling of longing to the camino too. It's in my muscles, my brain, my heart, my spirit. The camino often feels like being on the right spot at the right moment, for weeks continuing. Visiting this forum is just a way to handle the camino blues. Being in a very stressful job now there are so many moments a long for the simplicity an fulfillingnes of being on the camino. At the moment I'm in a stage that I'm wondering what I've found and what I lost.

I can imagine that walking in the northern Sweden (does it have any daylight in this period?) with these northern lights is magic too and does bring back the longing for the camino even more.
I'm in a way happy these aurora's can't be seen on the camino. It would be so crowded that people would stumble on top of each other, no one would leave the place. ;)
Thanks for sharing this Beatrice!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Stunning video! Thanks for sharing

This thread epitomizes what I love about this forum. I thought I was strange to be obsessional about my next Camino - thought I just wanted to escape real life. But I guess, what's wrong with that? ;)

See aso Picture #2 in the attached link - especially for our antipodean friends :) A Camino in the sky!
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/25/tech/innovation/earth-from-space-book/

Gerry

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.