• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Winter's Camino?

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to mention...
Hi all

A friend of mine received an email from a travel agent based in Ireland advertising walking some of the Camino this winter. It says:-

"Did you know that forecasters are predicting that the UK and Ireland may be in for one of its coldest and snowy winters in years?

So why not plan ahead now for a winter sun walking holiday that will leave your friends jealous. When they are stuck in long traffic jams caused by bad weather you could be out walking in the sun. While you end your day with fine cuisine and perhaps a glass of wine on a sun terrace. They are struggling to get out of soaked clothes and get some warmth into their bones!"

First of all the forecaster they refer to is James Madden from Exacta Weather, His forecasts have been as far from the truth. Also, the same forecast was mentioned in a tabloid in the UK
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...ther-forecast-cold-winter-2016-Britain-freeze.

I'm not sure the Met Office in the UK and Ireland would be that negligent as to give out bogus weather forecasts this far in advance.
I think the best advice is plan for all seasons and take these kind of advertisements with a grain of salt :)

David

Ps I have no affiliation to the above travel agent :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the Camino Ingles in January and my worst problem was sunburn - 20 minutes light rain in total. In previous years other walked in near-constant wind and rain. Winter caminos can be beautiful but always a gamble.

One of the Met Office weather forecasters said that whatever the Daily Express Headline writers were shovelling, it surely wasn't snow

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nice video, also showing the snow around O'Cebreiro (which is the highest Camino point). There is an alternative in the Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada onwards.
However, as far as forecasts go, I prefer consulting my cristal ball, rubb it a few times and hope fore the best (with all my winter gear of course).:D

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.