• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it safe for a woman walking alone?

Tmct

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2020
I am a 56 year old woman wondering if I am wise to walk the Camino alone, starting in St Jean Pied de Port and taking as much time as I like to walk and explore. Any advise from women that have done so would be appreciated. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a 56 year old woman wondering if I am wise to walk the Camino alone, starting in St Jean Pied de Port and taking as much time as I like to walk and explore. Any advise from women that have done so would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hundreds of women do it 'alone'. You are definitely not alone in it.

Check out the FB group Camigas ;)

also.... just as any wise traveler should...be prepared (not scared) ...download 'alertcops' ...an official Spanish app for emergency support on camino.... they can locate you via GPS ... . ...and pre-program your phone with emergency phone #112 .( equiv of 911 in NorthAmerica). then you have peace of mind always...and can just enjoy the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
also.... just as any wise traveler should...be prepared (not scared) ...download 'alertcops' ...an official Spanish app for emergency support on camino.... they can locate you via GPS ... . ...and pre-program your phone with emergency phone #112 .( equiv of 911 in NorthAmerica). then you have peace of mind always...and can just enjoy the Camino.
Thank you very much blamoca

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't worry - you will have plenty of 70+ year old women to protect you!
"Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know". "The Sistren will be part of you and will look after you": so Granny used to say as she sent her daughters out into the wild world. For the likes of me she only had: "You're a boy. You'll get by if you work at it". You'll be fine @Tmct. Easy for a boy to say that but nevertheless - you'll be fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a lovely youtube series from "Alaskan Pilgrim" about her solo Camino Francis in 2018. She gives a great run down about the equipment she took with her and a final episode about what worked and what she would have left at home. The other episodes are about her journey and she is up front about the good, the bad and doing some ugly crying. I highly recommend it.
Buen Camino

Don't worry - you will have plenty of 70+ year old women to protect you!
There is a lovely youtube series from "Alaskan Pilgrim" about her solo Camino Francis in 2018. She gives a great run down about the equipment she took with her and a final episode about what worked and what she would have left at home. The other episodes are about her journey and she is up front about the good, the bad and doing some ugly crying. I highly recommend it.
Buen Camino
i am looking forward to watching it tonight!

I'd say more like thousands of women do it alone!
Perhaps thousands of women (and men - but without being flippant clearly I do understand that there is a difference in the context of this thread) set out alone. The number who feel alone diminishes by the hour. The only people who finish on their own do so because they choose to, in my opinion.

I very clearly understand that a male perspective can be very different and, in the context of this thread, feel free to ignore.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Perhaps thousands of women (and men - but without being flippant clearly I do understand that there is a difference in the context of this thread) set out alone. The number who feel alone diminishes by the hour. The only people who finish on their own do so because they choose to, in my opinion.

I very clearly understand that a male perspective can be very different and, in the context of this thread, feel free to ignore.
I understand what you’re saying. I will only walk solo if I choose to, as there are many other hikers that I will meet daily. I like to be alone but there is a certain security in knowing others are likely not far.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You'll be both more alone than you have ever been, and less alone than you have ever been.

Both states are liberating.

The only thing that you really should be careful about is the presence of the professional & amateur thieves, but they target anyone regardless of whether they're alone or in a couple or group, regardless of man or woman.

I don't think that women on the Camino are at any manner of greater risk than women anywhere else ; and sadly that's always a real risk.

But when attacks upon women occur on the Camino greater focus is spotlighted upon such occurrences than elsewhere, which by nature creates a perception bias ; but greater focus is most certainly not the same thing as greater occurrence.

The Francès is mostly rural, and anywhere rural is typically less risky for women than anywhere urban or suburban.

AND you will be surrounded by friends and Pilgrims.

Don't worry, Sus Eia, and Buen Camino !!!

I’ve always walked alone.

I was 52 on my latest camino.

No problems.

When were you thinking of going?

That will determine how many folk are out there with you.

And I was 70 on my first camino, the Norte, 9 years ago when it was much less walked. Am still walking.....

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
my older daughter, 45 old, started alone her first camino a month ago, with no problem, neither last week with a job fellow, 54 years old lady, with absolutely no safety problem, but yesterday, in the very center of Valencia, with 5 familiars around, she got stolen documentations, money and telephone…. so, where is it more dangerous?

As I have mentioned many times make sure you download the Alertcops app. It will immediately put you in touch with an English speaking police officer and track where you are located. Also being on the CF you will not be alone much and if you ever feel uncomfortable wait for others to come by and walk with them. It is really safe on the CF. Buen Camino.

I'll be setting out again in September - I'm 75. I only set out with someone once--other times on my own. One time I was sitting with 4 other Pilgrims enjoying a beer by the time I reached tie train station Bayonne. We never met before but saw each other off and on through the Camino. Last time I met someone at Orisson and we ended up doing the Camino together. So no worries you can walk on your own or with people as you wish, Maybe see you en route - I will be slow (bad knee and back)
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a 51yr old single women and walked the camino from SJPDP to Santiago alone from May -June 2019.. best experience of my life. My thoughts.. spring/summer months best time to walk weather is nice, and you get a sense of peace knowing..there will be other pilgrims on the road somewhere in front or behind you. Im already planning my trip for next year. Buen Camino. Sharon

I am a 56 year old woman wondering if I am wise to walk the Camino alone, starting in St Jean Pied de Port and taking as much time as I like to walk and explore. Any advise from women that have done so would be. Thank you!
I walked it alone at age 72 and never had a problem even though I look much younger. I had walked with my husband the year before but found I met more people traveling alone and even though my husband is wonderful it was more relaxing alone.
I never felt scared but I kept in sight of other people most of the time.

Go for it ---you will have a wonderful time. My name is Sharon too😁

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll be setting out again in September - I'm 75. I only set out with someone once--other times on my own. One time I was sitting with 4 other Pilgrims enjoying a beer by the time I reached tie train station Bayonne. We never met before but saw each other off and on through the Camino. Last time I met someone at Orisson and we ended up doing the Camino together. So no worries you can walk on your own or with people as you wish, Maybe see you en route - I will be slow (bad knee and back)
Buen Camino!
Buen Camino Meggins!

I walked it alone at age 72 and never had a problem even though I look much younger. I had walked with my husband the year before but found I met more people traveling alone and even though my husband is wonderful it was more relaxing alone.
I never felt scared but I kept in sight of other people most of the time.

Go for it ---you will have a wonderful time. My name is Sharon too😁
Thank you Sharon! My name is Tracy and I sure appreciate the advice.

I am a 51yr old single women and walked the camino from SJPDP to Santiago alone from May -June 2019.. best experience of my life. My thoughts.. spring/summer months best time to walk weather is nice, and you get a sense of peace knowing..there will be other pilgrims on the road somewhere in front or behind you. Im already planning my trip for next year. Buen Camino. Sharon
Thank you Sharon. I’m swinging between Sept and May. Haven’t decided yet. I’m so excited it will be hard to wait until May but it would be a nice present to give myself for my May birthday!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
my older daughter, 45 old, started alone her first camino a month ago, with no problem, neither last week with a job fellow, 54 years old lady, with absolutely no safety problem, but yesterday, in the very center of Valencia, with 5 familiars around, she got stolen documentations, money and telephone…. so, where is it more dangerous?
True. Home or abroad, the chance is always there.

You'll be both more alone than you have ever been, and less alone than you have ever been.

Both states are liberating.

The only thing that you really should be careful about is the presence of the professional & amateur thieves, but they target anyone regardless of whether they're alone or in a couple or group, regardless of man or woman.

I don't think that women on the Camino are at any manner of greater risk than women anywhere else ; and sadly that's always a real risk.

But when attacks upon women occur on the Camino greater focus is spotlighted upon such occurrences than elsewhere, which by nature creates a perception bias ; but greater focus is most certainly not the same thing as greater occurrence.

The Francès is mostly rural, and anywhere rural is typically less risky for women than anywhere urban or suburban.

AND you will be surrounded by friends and Pilgrims.

Don't worry, Sus Eia, and Buen Camino !!!
Thank you JabbaPapa. I will remain alert and keep my most important things close to me and out of sight.

Last edited:
You are never really alone on the Camino. I would recommend that you like up with another pilgrim or pilgrims in SJPDP and walk with them. Do that each day and you will be okay. Pilgrims walking the Camino take care of each other.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As I have mentioned many times make sure you download the Alertcops app. It will immediately put you in touch with an English speaking police officer and track where you are located. Also being on the CF you will not be alone much and if you ever feel uncomfortable wait for others to come by and walk with them. It is really safe on the CF. Buen Camino.
Thank you. I have downloaded the app.
I’ve always walked alone.

I was 52 on my latest camino.

No problems.

When were you thinking of going?

That will determine how many folk are out there with you.
I’m swinging between Sept and May. Haven’t decided yet. I’m so excited it will be hard to wait until May but it would be a nice present to give myself for my May birthday!

Agree with installing AlertCops app here it is for Android

And iPhone

In 10 days I start the VdlP, alone, 69 years young. I never did this before. I trained, thats all. Just do it, like it, enjoy it and have the app of Guardia Cicil in your phone. Buen camino :)

I am 54 and just walked the camino 2 weeks ago, by myself, it was the best thing I ever did! I was terrified before I went but once I got to the airport, all that disappeared and the wonderful adventure began. I never felt alone as you are always around other people doing the same thing! Buen Camino!!

In 10 days I start the VdlP, alone, 69 years young. I never did this before. I trained, thats all. Just do it, like it, enjoy it and have the app of Guardia Cicil in your phone. Buen camino :)
-

Tinkatoe - wishing you a fabulous Via de la Plata. I walked this route three years ago and it was so special. It will be hot for the first weeks so carry plenty of water. Buen Camino.

Based on the yearly numbers you're going to have so much company you're going to wish you were alone !!!!

Go & enjoy !

Tmct,

Hi I walked my first camino last Fall at the age of 56 s/p stroke. I started in Pamplona ended Santiago. I met a few people along the way walked a day or two with them. I’m an introvert. I don’t think it’s as easy as people say to get a group to walk with... if you’re an extrovert yes. One person I met was a Japanese woman who caught up to me and said she was walking alone and very lonely. She was around for 2 days then left to go to Madrid. She said she would never walk alone... it made her sad. I was fine walking alone. There were a few times I wish I had someone to share my thoughts with... it didn’t happen I was fine. Then end of the trip I met three women I spend time in Santiago with them and did a bus trip with them to Finesterre. I’m still in touch with them. So, alone or with others... I’m sure you will do fine. I hope your Camino is what you want...

Thank you. I have downloaded the app.

I’m swinging between Sept and May. Haven’t decided yet. I’m so excited it will be hard to wait until May but it would be a nice present to give myself for my May birthday!

May, nice.

However, a harvest camino is spectacular; fat grapes of the meseta; cool mornings; warm/hot days; cool evenings; with infrastructure still up and running.

If you are ready to walk and funds are a go then September is my suggestion.

May, can be your second pilgrimage.

Buen camino.

These answers solidify my thoughts. I am so excited for the adventure and camaraderie!
I joined the Camigas. Thank you JCLima!
You will be fine! I walked alone in May (at age 62). I am so glad I walked alone as I think I met more interesting people that way and never had a problem finding a bed.

I walked alone in 2013 at 26 years old, was bothered 2 times by a male stranger, but got myself out safely both times (walking poles are more usefull than you might think). That was on a lonely pilgrims trail in Italy.
Last year I started alone, through Austria, no problems at all there. And also on the Camino Frances later, alone time lasted less than a day. There are so many nice people, no need to walk alone :)

I am 57 and did it this May/June. No issues at all. I continued walking on to Muxia. I did not get involved in “Camino Family” group walking—I enjoyed the solitude.

Last edited:
I am also 51 and I did the CF from SJPDP to Santiago alone from May - June of this year. We may have passed each other, Sharon, with a "Buen Camino!" I, too, felt very safe and you are really never alone. Can I ask what you are planning for next year? I started researching other Caminos as soon as I got home :)

Tmct,

Hi I walked my first camino last Fall at the age of 56 s/p stroke. I started in Pamplona ended Santiago. I met a few people along the way walked a day or two with them. I’m an introvert. I don’t think it’s as easy as people say to get a group to walk with... if you’re an extrovert yes. One person I met was a Japanese woman who caught up to me and said she was walking alone and very lonely. She was around for 2 days then left to go to Madrid. She said she would never walk alone... it made her sad. I was fine walking alone. There were a few times I wish I had someone to share my thoughts with... it didn’t happen I was fine. Then end of the trip I met three women I spend time in Santiago with them and did a bus trip with them to Finesterre. I’m still in touch with them. So, alone or with others... I’m sure you will do fine. I hope your Camino is what you want...
Thank you Micah26 for your words. I enjoy being alone so I don’t anticipate sadness or loneliness, but I do relate to your comment of wanting to share thoughts and feelings from time to time.

May, nice.

However, a harvest camino is spectacular; fat grapes of the meseta; cool mornings; warm/hot days; cool evenings; with infrastructure still up and running.

If you are ready to walk and funds are a go then September is my suggestion.

May, can be your second pilgrimage.

Buen camino.
Hmmmmmm......I think I needed to hear this! Thank you for the push! I will let you know what I decide in the next few days. I realllly want to get going NOW!!

I am 57 and did it this May/June. No issues at all. I continued walking on to Muxia. I did not get involved in “Camino Family” group walking—I enjoyed the solitude.
We were probably all three passing each other :) I started in SJPDP May 15 and got to Finisterre June 15th.

I walked the CF at 56 with no problem. If you're entering an area that makes you feel hesitant, just wait for more people to show up and ask if you can join them (through town, the woods, dawn, etc.).

I walked the CF at 56 with no problem. If you're entering an area that makes you feel hesitant, just wait for more people to show up and ask if you can join them (through town, the woods, dawn, etc.).
Thank you. Good advise. Always follow our gut.

I walked the last 114k in late September and very rarely could I not see someone ahead or behind me - always felt safe other than encountering gypsies begging in the woods near Portomarin pretending to be deaf. Starting at St Jean 13 Sept to walk first 100 miles. You’ll love it -
Buen Camino

I walked the last 114k in late September and very rarely could I not see someone ahead or behind me - always felt safe other than encountering gypsies begging in the woods near Portomarin pretending to be deaf. Starting at St Jean 13 Sept to walk first 100 miles. You’ll love it -
Buen Camino
So excited!

Hmmmmmm......I think I needed to hear this! Thank you for the push! I will let you know what I decide in the next few days. I realllly want to get going NOW!!
When you say Cool Nights, do you think a bag liner and light fleece sleepwear is good enough @nycwalking?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Sharon. I’m swinging between Sept and May. Haven’t decided yet. I’m so excited it will be hard to wait until May but it would be a nice present to give myself for my May birthday!
Go in May and I might see you. I’ll be 70 in April, and plan to walk beginning May 5th. 😊

When you say Cool Nights, do you think a bag liner and light fleece sleepwhere is good enough @nycwalking?

If you’re a warm sleeper that’s fine.

It you sleep cold maybe a light sleeping bag may work.

Remember, you’ll be ending in October in Galicia which is a cooler clime than rest of Spain.

Go for it !!!! I walked alone April-May this year...WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE !!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
absolutely..and you'll be fine. I did the same 1 yr ago, similar age. also you will not be alone unless you want to be ...you will be surrounded by many helpful like minded pilgrims. buen camino.
I did it at 53 and never felt alone but could certainly choose to be or ask for someone es company. Lots of comeraderie on the Camino

Will you have a blog or keep us up to date? I'd love to hear about your walk on the VdlP.

My best friend was raped on a Sunday morning in August 2017 walking from the train station to the centre of Santarem on the Camino Portugues. They also tried to rob her but stopped after ripping off her gold chain with a Lourdes medallion. She was 71. The two responsible did not specifically target pilgrims... After three events they were caught. They have just been sentenced to 6 years minimum.

So danger does lurk. Try not to be alone...

The support from Forum members was tangible and most welcome!

71 and have always walked alone. Last camino Camino de Invierno in 2018.
Buen camino!

My best friend was raped on a Sunday morning in August 2017 walking from the train station to the centre of Santarem on the Camino Portugues. They also tried to rob her but stopped after ripping off her gold chain with a Lourdes medallion. She was 71. The two responsible did not specifically target pilgrims... After three events they were caught. They have just been sentenced to 6 years minimum.

So danger does lurk. Try not to be alone...

The support from Forum members was tangible and most welcome!
So very sorry for your friend. ❤️

“Thank you Micah26 for your words. I enjoy being alone so I don’t anticipate sadness or loneliness, but I do relate to your comment of wanting to share thoughts and feelings from time to time.”

I decided to walk the Camino in memory of my friend who died of lung cancer 3 yrs previous and my mom who died of blood cancer 2 yrs previous. I needed the time to grieve and plan my future. In the end I truly walked for me, though my friend and my mom were with me every step. I do believe the Camino gives you what you need... not necessarily what you want! Buen Camino Peregrina! All will be well!

PS take a light sleeping bag and jacket. By 1st week in Oct in Santiago I had most of my clothes on... gets chilly at night and early am...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re 'Women walking alone.' "God will never place you where the will of God will not protect you" Bless you.
Wow. I think there are literally millions of women (and men and children) across the world who have been victims of assault, who have not found that to be the case. Not to get into a religious argument here but, much as I think that the Camino is a relatively safe place for women walking alone, I wouldn't be so dismissive of their concerns.

I've done solo Caminos and Caminos with Dalie the pilgrim donkey. Donkeys are really good at discouraging dogs and encouraging small children with chocolate biscuits. Never had any trouble with unwanted attention towards me, but I did once have to chase a zebra away from Dalie. (It's a long story...) Just use common sense about when and where you walk alone.

The Camino does tend to be fairly safe for most of us. As a woman I felt ok except for 2 times which were probably more my paranoia. But, it always comes back to the reality that woman have to be aware and ask the further question just because we are women. It’s something most men, as men, do not experience, the vulnerability of just being... And having grown up Catholic I believe, but I can tell you neither God nor man protected me a few times in my life... Buen Camino all!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow. I think there are literally millions of women (and men and children) across the world who have been victims of assault, who have not found that to be the case. Not to get into a religious argument here but, much as I think that the Camino is a relatively safe place for women walking alone, I wouldn't be so dismissive of their concerns.

Thank you.
I guess if it takes faith for some people to get out in the world without being hobbled by fear, his sentiment is a good one. But it's tricky when it's put like that (which I don't think he meant).

I walked the del Norte May 8th 2019 - June 13, 2019. I walked all but 7 or 8 days solo and always felt safe other than this one incident. I left Ribadeo and was entering a small farming town. On the edge of town at the first house I came to as I was lost in thought I suddenly realized a man was yelling at me. He looked as though he had just woke up as he was dressing in boxers and a white tshirt. He was saying “agua! auga!” When I told him “no necessario” he began to motion me to go into his house for “cafe! cafe!” He was saying this in a demanding tone of voice. I shook my head no and simply kept walking.
In my experience in all the previous 600km I had walked I never had anyone invite me into their home. Nor would I have entered the home of a man I do not know especially when I am alone.
I share this simply to say...
Ladies...use your common sense, do not be naive or gullible. Be as gentle as a lamb but as wise as a serpent. Do not let anyone take advantage of you. Be strong and courageous and expect the unexpected.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back