• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Wonderful Alternative

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
By the time one reaches Leon, by the time I reach Leon, I'm thinking - one more pilgrims menu another menu el dia and I will lay down on the floor and die of boredom! In Leon there is an alternative, a wonderful alternative. Walking on the Camino towards Gaudi on the bench, Calle Rua, about 150 meters before is Calle Conder Rebolledo marked by one of those shops which sell hams and chorizos and weird sausages and bolitos. Turn right and walk
50 meters to number17 Pizzeria La Competencia! And!! A Spanish cafe bar which gives a small slice of pizza as tapas with an order of beer or wine a-n-d offers the best thin crust pizza west of Napoli! Two pilgrims two fantastic pizzas half a liter of wine for less then a pilgrims menu! The atmosphere? Men downstairs watching football women and kids upstairs chomping pizza the waiters trying their best not to stomp on the children as both run back and forth - Napoli! A fantastic evening!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hear, hear Scruffy. Pizzeria La Competencia is a big favorite of ours; they're in Burgos, Leon, Oviedo, and Ponferrada, too! You gotta try the Berguidium pizza... it's got pine nuts, raisins, and morcilla on it!
I think it's some of the best in this part of Spain. But it's not exactly the pizza I long for... I am American, after all. And US pizza is one of the few things I miss from home!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hear, hear Scruffy. Pizzeria La Competencia is a big favorite of ours; they're in Burgos, Leon, Oviedo, and Ponferrada, too! You gotta try the Berguidium pizza... it's got pine nuts, raisins, and morcilla on it!
I think it's some of the best in this part of Spain. But it's not exactly the pizza I long for... I am American, after all. And US pizza is one of the few things I miss from home!
Glad to know however two things Spanish I cannot face are morcilla something about the blood I suppose and gallos that is tripe . Loved by millions both but I just can't, strangely. Bolito I can handle there is asimilar Portuguese and Jewish concoction but no tripe please

Sometimes a letter matter.
Gallos=roosters.
Callos=tripes.
Absolutely correct my cellophane keeps "fixing" almost everything I write spanish English and Hebrew I'm desperate !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh oh.... Me thinks that we may soon make pressures on you to develop a guide of good eats alomg the way! And not Michelin eats, just good ones ;)

Absolutely correct my cellophane keeps "fixing" almost everything I write spanish English and Hebrew I'm desperate !
It clearly does as it refers to itself as a cellophane ;). My ?$@! tablet cannot manage French, English and Spanish, such a pain. How difficult can ot be to detect language used? o_O

Hmmm...it sounds like there is at least one thing in Leon you will now visit for, Scruffy1! :D:D:D

Mmmmm....pizza!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll look out for this place next month. :D I love pizza, even those rectangular Cruji ones with the hammer-shaped cutter. :oops:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Rebekah Scott you just called for pizza. Tried this?
Don't want to brag, but I ate pizza here with the lovely Reb and Paddy years ago when the word had not yet gotten out. :)

How about good Mexican food? Should we let the forum know about the Mexican restaurant on the square in Ponferrada? Have you found anything better yet?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We just made the best sandwiches with various local dried meats, cheeses, tuna, pate, cucumbers, tomatoes and Jordy (bless his huge Dutch heart) added canned corn. Sometimes there were things pickled, sometimes boiled eggs. And there was almost ALWAYS a really good loaf of bread. I walked over 50 days last year and never once ate a Pilgrim menu or menu del dia or whatever it was. My colon thanked me most graciously.

There's another very good pizza place now in CARRION de los CONDES, called simply "Pizza Italiano." It's in a bar next door to the Chino store, at the top of the main pedestrian street on the way out of town. The oven isn't fired-up until 8 p.m., but once the fire is burning, the pies are really fine, (none of that frozen nonsense) and generous!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back