• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A wonderful Birthday present: Camino Magic

andonius

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, Portugues, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, Baztan, Sanabres, Finisterre
Today is my 60th birthday, and I wanted to share with all my pilgrim friends the wonderful present my family gave me last week-end.

We live in Madrid, and my wife Paloma told me we were going to take a long weekend together in an unknown (to me!) place. On thursday she took the car and drove us to Burgos, exactly to the same hotel in which we stayed when we were doing the Camino together, some years ago. It's Hotel Meson del Cid, just in front of the cathedral.

I thought: Great¡ . A romantic weekend in a nice city in the Camino¡¡¡. Good plan...

We went to have dinner to a nearby restaurant and what was my surprise when I saw my two sons and my daughter (31, 28 and 26 years old) entering the restaurant. I was completely astonished when my wife told me:

- Surprise¡¡¡, that's your birthday present¡¡¡. We are going to cover three stages of Camino all together, in family¡¡¡

I almost cried. Every year I go twice or three times to cover some part of the Camino, usually alone, and I've always told my wife how much I would like to do it with the whole family...and now they were making my dream come true.

My oldest son had flown fron Holland, where he lives, and the other two had picked him at the airport and they drove to Burgos following us. They have coolected at home all my Camino equipment (backpack, boots and all the rest) and I had it waiting at the hotel's room when we returned.

To make it short, we covered three stages in the weekend from Burgos to Fromista. They were three great family days of neverending laughs, shared efforts, easy understanding, unusual chats, fun card games, wonderful dinners....

It was the best birthday present I've ever had ,and I'll be always grateful for it.

And I wanted to share it with you all because after alll, It's also Camino Magic, isn't it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a wonderful surprise and you definitely have the best wife to organise it for you. Once the Camino gets under your skin, you never shake it off and I'm sure your family will be talking about this special time with you for years to come. Congratulations and a very Happy Birthday for today.

Today is my 60th birthday, and I wanted to share with all my pilgrim friends the wonderful present my family gave me last week-end.

We live in Madrid, and my wife Paloma told me we were going to take a long weekend together in an unknown (to me!) place. On thursday she took the car and drove us to Burgos, exactly to the same hotel in which we stayed when we were doing the Camino together, some years ago. It's Hotel Meson del Cid, just in front of the cathedral.

I thought: Great¡ . A romantic weekend in a nice city in the Camino¡¡¡. Good plan...

We went to have dinner to a nearby restaurant and what was my surprise when I saw my two sons and my daughter (31, 28 and 26 years old) entering the restaurant. I was completely astonished when my wife told me:

- Surprise¡¡¡, that's your birthday present¡¡¡. We are going to cover three stages of Camino all together, in family¡¡¡

I almost cried. Every year I go twice or three times to cover some part of the Camino, usually alone, and I've always told my wife how much I would like to do it with the whole family...and now they were making my dream come true.

My oldest son had flown fron Holland, where he lives, and the other two had picked him at the airport and they drove to Burgos following us. They have coolected at home all my Camino equipment (backpack, boots and all the rest) and I had it waiting at the hotel's room when we returned.

To make it short, we covered three stages in the weekend from Burgos to Fromista. They were three great family days of neverending laughs, shared efforts, easy understanding, unusual chats, fun card games, wonderful dinners....

It was the best birthday present I've ever had ,and I'll be always grateful for it.

And I wanted to share it with you all because after alll, It's also Camino Magic, isn't it?
Thank you for sharing this wonderful gift. Thank you. I can almost step the whole way with you, as it remains clear in my mind even after many years.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It is wonderful , your family loves you a lot!You might be a great husband and father ! happy birthday to you ! i have a son in The US, 2 daughters in UK and Sweeden an hopefully one close by in France. it would be a dream come true to share part of the Camino with them!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good memories are the best gift you could ever receive. Photos that commemorate these memories are a close second.

Imagine the celebration when you reach Santiago as a group...

Last edited:
What a beautiful gift from a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing. May you enjoy many more camino in the future. Buen Camino.

What a wonderful, thoughtful, caring family! A beautiful gift of love. Your post made my day. Thank you for sharing with us. ❤

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a wonderful surprise this must have been and I would wager this is your best birthday yet!! All that love in your family is palpable!! Happy Belated Birthday Peregrino!!

What a wonderful birthday present Andonius....this post has made my heart and soul smile, The joy and pleasure you felt about this beautiful present, are palpable....Very Special Indeed. 😍🌼🌻

First of all...HAPPY BDAY...what a great way to celebrate !!!!! Congratulation for your wonderful family !!!!!! I felt so happy for you...i will start may Camino in SJPDP this April and have planned everything to be in Burgos for my BDAY (may 10th)...happy bday again !!!!!!! Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

What a great story,and a great way to add the Camino Magic for the next generation. Everybody will have great memories for a life time, you are truly blessed. Buen Camino.

Happy Birthday!! What a wonderful birthday present walking in one of my favourite parts of the Camino. I will do Burgos to Astorga again in June and am especially looking forward to (hopefully) catching a musical evening in the lovely church in Fromista.

Happy Belated Birthday.

This story just made me so happy, thanks for sharing it with us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
about the end of 2010 some 'light bulb' went off in my head 💡
(I am 51 at the time and my son just turned 26) - we got to do some 'cool' father-son outing before I get any older and he gets married (and gets caught up in all of that life)
so in May 2011 we did The Camino Inca to Machu Picchu with G Adventures. (totally clueless that this is the 100th Anniversary of Hiram Bingham's 'discovery'). A week full of camaraderie and just awesome stuff.
By far I still consider this to be the best vacation I've ever had!!!
Well.... fast forward to today and (although it took some time) he is getting married this November.
I am looking forward to my Camino (Frances) and who knows... perhaps in couple of years he just might join me.
(My wife would definitely like 'the trip' only she'd be taking taxis from one Parador to another and 'meet me in <applicable> town :oops:)
It is nice to have a family like yours! Congrats and Buen Camino!

Thanks to you all. I'm happy that my little "Camino Magic" moment means something for some of you and made you happy for a moment. Life is made of a bunch of happy memories like that and It's good to share them with friends.
Just in case you want to know us, I leave you a picture of the whole family in the top of Alto de Mostelares, outside Castrojeriz.

Attachments

• DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back