• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A World Top 50 Restaurant Along The Norte

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just read a new article that listed the Arzak Restaurant, in San Sebastian, as a 3 star Michelin restaurant considered among the top 50 in the world. It is right on the route if walking the Camino del Norte. For those interested: https://www.arzak.es/en/cuisine-and-restaurant/

And don't forget Mugaritz, also in San Sebastian....

http://www.theworlds50best.com/The-List-2017/1-10/Mugaritz.html
https://www.mugaritz.com/en/

Btw alot of Basque restaurants in the top 50!

And an extra bonus is that Michelin rated restos in Spain are so much more democratic in price than restos in other parts of Europe....

Ah going to smash that piggybank soon...:D:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IMHO however I think you are missing the point of being a pilgrim if you are eating in Michelin Star restaurants. Its in the humble bars and restaurants you will find the pilgrims with their backpacks, dusty boots and sweaty clothes. They will be watching the regular folks doing regular things, while enjoying some simple hospitality.

The good news is that in the Basque region the food is so good almost everywhere. It is one of, if not THE best food destination in the world. This is evident by the fact that it has the highest concentration of Michelin Stars of any place in the world. I believe that this is the case because the general food standards are so high here, that the 'fine dining' options must truly excel to stand out. The pintxos bars from Hondarribia to Bilbao are for the most part excellent, particularly in the old town of Donastia (San Sebastian) and Bilbao.

Learn the word for delicious in basque.... 'Osa Ona' pronounced O - sa O - na .................and enjoy the ride

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IMHO however I think you are missing the point of being a pilgrim if you are eating in Michelin Star restaurants. Its in the humble bars and restaurants you will find the pilgrims with their backpacks, dusty boots and sweaty clothes. They will be watching the regular folks doing regular things, while enjoying some simple hospitality.

The good news is that in the Basque region the food is so good almost everywhere. It is one of, if not THE best food destination in the world. This is evident by the fact that it has the highest concentration of Michelin Stars of any place in the world. I believe that this is the case because the general food standards are so high here, that the 'fine dining' options must truly excel to stand out. The pintxos bars from Hondarribia to Bilbao are for the most part excellent, particularly in the old town of Donastia (San Sebastian) and Bilbao.

Learn the word for delicious in basque.... 'Osa Ona' pronounced O - sa O - na .................and enjoy the ride

I am really not missing the point. Being a pilgrim is not defined by food choices, is it?No more so than choosing to stay at a hotel for a night instead of an alburgue makes you less or more of a pilgrim. Nor do I recall posting that I, or anyone, should only partake at the finest Michelin establishments, shunning simple, traditional regional offerings. :) My point was only a simple observation of the location of a notable restaurant that is right on the Camino, nothing more or nothing less.

The only Michelin restaurant I have entered on pilgrimage was La Bóveda del Mercado in Borja, and they gave me a brandy on the house and stamped my credencial -- the 18e they charged for their menu de dia could not be equalled for under $100 in Montréal. But as Niall notes, the del Norte and especially the Basque country could easily be one gastronomic delight-- but as pilgrims, we are precluded from taking too much pleasure by the profundity of our mission:).

I am really not missing the point. Being a pilgrim is not defined by food choices, is it?No more so than choosing to stay at a hotel for a night instead of an alburgue makes you less or more of a pilgrim. Nor do I recall posting that I, or anyone, should only partake at the finest Michelin establishments, shunning simple, traditional regional offerings. :) My point was only a simple observation of the location of a notable restaurant that is right on the Camino, nothing more or nothing less.

That is simply my opinion.
My opinion is born out of the following experience. There is a very fine restaurant on the route called Restaurant San Martin about 1km before Orio. It is right beside of a very old church with the same name. Its not Michelin star, but it is pretty close. The food and the service were very good. . I had left San Sebastian that morning and was looking forward to having a meal in Orio. It was the first restaurant on the route for quite a while, and it it even had a shell on the wall outside that beckoned me in the door. It was however one of the most uncomfortable meals and easily the least enjoyable meal I had on the Camino. The place was very busy and everyone was dressed immaculately. The staff could not hide their unease at me and my boots and backpack invading their prestine space..... Never mind the fact I could have done with a shower... It was a lesson learned for me.

As my week in the Basque country went on I found the best thing about being a pilgrim is that you begin to understand that there are many things you think make you happy in your everyday life.... but actually many of those same things are not important and often they are compensating for things in your life that make you unhappy. The Camino gives you the space and opportunity to strip back the layers a little, if only for a moment.

Everyones camino should be a comfortable experience and there is nothing wrong with staying in a hotels.
I fear however by seeking out Michelin Star restaurants you are leaving that space called 'pilgrim mode' and becoming a tourist on a walking holiday? What would you say is the difference is between a tourist and a pilgrim?

When I look back now the best meals I had, they were in places that are not rated on tripadvisor or any other site, but places that i was made feel welcome and shown warmth and hospitality. Things that are more important.
I hope you have a good good camino.

Ps the meal in the monastery in Zeneruzza is to be avoided... thats a whole level of humbleness I hope I never have to taste again!!!!!

PPS Arzak is not actually on the route. When you cross over on the ferry to Pasaia the the marked camino route goes out along the coast. It does not go by the direct road in to San Sebastian where you will find Arzak...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is simply my opinion.
My opinion is born out of the following experience. There is a very fine restaurant on the route called Restaurant San Martin about 1km before Orio. It is right beside of a very old church with the same name. Its not Michelin star, but it is pretty close. The food and the service were very good. . I had left San Sebastian that morning and was looking forward to having a meal in Orio. It was the first restaurant on the route for quite a while, and it it even had a shell on the wall outside that beckoned me in the door. It was however one of the most uncomfortable meals and easily the least enjoyable meal I had on the Camino. The place was very busy and everyone was dressed immaculately. The staff could not hide their unease at me and my boots and backpack invading their prestine space..... Never mind the fact I could have done with a shower... It was a lesson learned for me.

As my week in the Basque country went on I found the best thing about being a pilgrim is that you begin to understand that there are many things you think make you happy in your everyday life.... but actually many of those same things are not important and often they are compensating for things in your life that make you unhappy. The Camino gives you the space and opportunity to strip back the layers a little, if only for a moment.

Everyones camino should be a comfortable experience and there is nothing wrong with staying in a hotels.
I fear however by seeking out Michelin Star restaurants you are leaving that space called 'pilgrim mode' and becoming a tourist on a walking holiday? What would you say is the difference is between a tourist and a pilgrim?

When I look back now the best meals I had, they were in places that are not rated on tripadvisor or any other site, but places that i was made feel welcome and shown warmth and hospitality. Things that are more important.
I hope you have a good good camino.

Ps the meal in the monastery in Zeneruzza is to be avoided... thats a whole level of humbleness I hope I never have to taste again!!!!!

PPS Arzak is not actually on the route. When you cross over on the ferry to Pasaia the the marked camino route goes out along the coast. It does not go by the direct road in to San Sebastian where you will find Arzak...

You are really making far more out of my simple post than was meant, and twisting my intent. I'm NOT recommending or advocating the eating at Michelin restaurants, nor staying at hotels. I was not seeking them out. I was innocently making note of an interesting thing. And yes, if one were to look at the route, the restaurant is right on the path. As to your precaution that one would leave "pilgrim mode", wouldn't that also occur if one used money to purchase accommodations of any type and not rely on the total kindness of strangers living along the Way as those first pilgrims did centuries ago? I also don't know how my original post put me into the category of a "tourist" and out of being a "pilgrim". I am curious as to how such presumptions are anything less than judgmental.

Last edited by a moderator:
A well-heeled pilgrim (like myself!!) can eat where they like and stay where they like. This was always the case in medieval times. Remember, we still have to walk the walk. I have enjoyed sumptuous meals in Burgos and Santiago in posh establishments. I have also had a memorable dinner at Casa Fernanda in Portugal. I am interested in food, how it is prepared and presented. I am not going to miss out on experiencing gourmet delights whilst on Camino.

You are really making far more out of my simple post than was meant, and twisting my intent. I'm NOT recommending or advocating the eating at Michelin restaurants, nor staying at hotels. I was not seeking them out. I was innocently making note of an interesting thing. And yes, if one were to look at the route, the restaurant is right on the path. As to your precaution that one would leave "pilgrim mode", wouldn't that also occur if one used money to purchase accommodations of any type and not rely on the total kindness of strangers living along the Way as those first pilgrims did centuries ago? I also don't know how my original post put me into the category of a "tourist" and out of being a "pilgrim". I am curious as to how such presumptions are anything less than judgmental.

Thank you!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We had a Michelin-starred lunch on the Levante - which was quite wonderful. It also gave us a chance to tell locals about the Camino, which I consider a pilgrim's duty - let them know why we're tramping through their villages in dusty clothes wearing filthy boots and backpacks waving socks as flags...

I phoned them the day before, asking whether they would accept us, even wearing pilgrim clothes. They were friendly, enthusiastic and wanted to know a lot about the Camino Levante.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back