• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A year ago .......

petro

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2008 April/May) (2011 May/June) (2014 May/June), Camino Primitivo (May 2016)
Hi All,

I walked the Camino Frances in April/May 2008. A year ago today I walked from Orisson to Roncesvalles. I find myself remembering the way clearer than at any time during the past year. I remember the breakfast with new friends, the wonderful view, the very strong wind blowing in gusts that sometimes blew me of the road (thankfully it was a clear day), meeting a very curious horse that wanted to make friends, the elation when I saw the rooftops of Roncesvalles, the steep way down, the feeling of accomplishment on reaching Roncesvalles, great sandwich and cold beer. Then getting my credential stamped, walking into the huge albergue. When we left the restaurant that evening we found that the villiage was shrouded in a magical mist wich made everything look so unreal. With so many pilgrims in one room I found the night strangely quiet, I remember going to the bathroom during the night and coming back into the room out of the light it was dark and I couldn't find my bed! So many memories! I know that for the next 31 days my heart and my mind will not be where my body is. I have made up my mind - I have to go back!!!!

Buen Camino
Petro

Attachments

• DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,173
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also arrived in Roncesvalles a year ago today. Over dinner that night I made some friends that I would end up walking into Santiago de Compestella with.

You photo is a lovely reminder of that night. Thank you.

petro said:
I remember going to the bathroom during the night and coming back into the room out of the light it was dark and I couldn't find my bed!

Petro, thank you for sharing your memories. It's so nice to read it.

I was thinking much about that (not finding bed when go to the toliet during the night).
What did you do? Walking around so long that finally find your place?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Adja,

I could remember more or less where it was and I knew that I hung my socks over the end rail of the bed, so I felt around for socks and hoped that nobody did the same. Luck was on my side and I found my bed. After that I never went to the bathroom without my little torch!

Petro

Petro,

Thank you so much for sharing, it brought a smile to my face and a longing to my heart.

Ultrea.

Jerry

Thanks Petro!
We did our first camino last year May/June and I have also made mind to do it again. I'm already plannig it every day.

Heikki

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Petro and all

I walked over the Napoleon Pass on April 30 2008 and arrived in Santiago on May 31st. It was such an amazing and profound experience that I have written a book about it entitled "One Step at a Time : Encounters Natural, Human and Divine on the Camino de Santiago". Two author agents, one in Canada and the other in Ireland, are reading the manuscript now to see if they will represent me in approaching publishers.

I am returning to the Camino in mid March 2010 to walk the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Santiago.

Such wonderful memories, friends made, and faith affirmed and expanded.

Bill Beahen
Ottawa, Canada

I was walking this time last year as well, and find I am remembering it all at present. April 28th was my 'worst day'!!! :shock: The day before I had a brilliant rest day in Conques, listening to many people singing in the Abbey. The 28th started out OK, as I found that the path out of Conques wasn't as long/steep as I had expected. Then I took the 'scenic' alternative route. But the mist soon came in and there was no view. Then the thunder and lightning struck. Here I was on the top of this hill, no shelter anywhere, and I am in the midst of a thunderstorm! Scary!!!! Then I got diarrhoea. By this point I am saturated. Then there was a huge descent and a huge ascent to/from Decazeville (that to add insult to injury, I realised a few days later I could have bypassed, staying on an upper track- but it was too wet to read my map properly in the rain!) But it all turned out well in the end. Showered, laundered, made very very welcome in a gite, then discovering there was a parish welcome for pilgrims.....
Fortunately. April 29th dawned a much sunnier day again! :D

Margaret

HI, me and my friend set out last year on the 29th from Pamplona! Maybe you passed us? We were the ones going very slow...! This time of year has got me thinking caminos again. My friend is walking the portugues route right now and i will fly out and join her in two weeks! I begin to suspect this camino thing is addictive!
Also to kiwinomad (above post) i had a lovely time looking at your le puy photos and don't worry the alternative route to walking through Decazville was not very nice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Zamora to Riego del Camino. Had to leave one German friend in Zamora - his feet were falling off!

Finished the day in Pepe's bar with Austrian friend: menu, and brandy for strength (?).

Hi Petro, I walked from SJPP to Santiago this april and am still somewhat disconnected from my 'real' life, but you post really captured feelings I have about the way. I feel like an old sailor who is now land bound and yet yearns for the sea! I am planning to start the Le Puy route next year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back